Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SCREW YOU! I’M KEEPING YOU SAFE!!!

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Bdl

Re: SCREW YOU! I’M KEEPING YOU SAFE!!!

Post by Bdl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:57 am

There were FOUR confirmed tornados as a result of Thursday's storm. Great job by the WNEM crew if you happen to read this.

@101....you have reached a new low ..even for you. Call Dr. Phil for help.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Where could I find something close to real-time quality coverage of 5, 12, 25 during this tornado event on the internet? Plus WNEM's doppler was impressive!

I have some advanced weather tools and a ham radio, so I was on top of it but I still found the coverage helpful with this very fast moving storm.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:59 pm

TV 5 had the Genesee County tornado warning at least 3 minutes before ABC 12. People could have died watching ABC 12.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:55 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:04 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06 pm
Where could I find something close to real-time quality coverage of 5, 12, 25 during this tornado event on the internet? Plus WNEM's doppler was impressive!

I have some advanced weather tools and a ham radio, so I was on top of it but I still found the coverage helpful with this very fast moving storm.
Where could you find real-time quality coverage? Still looking for it.
You started this thread regarding too much real-time coverage of the tornadoes, now you imply that there wasn't any? You are a walking contradiction.

Stop looking:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=46839

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

autolab

Post by autolab » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:30 pm

My concern is with Chief Mets who drone on and on... not giving any real information. How many times do mets need to say to "go to a basement or an interior room" or that trailer parks aren't a safe location to ride out the storm? Yes, that information is important... I'm only objecting to the continuous loop for an hour plus with no real on the ground reporting long after the tornado warning for Shiawassee and Genesee counties were dropped. At least 25-66 was able to get Ahmad Bajjey out there for some actual damage reports before signing off. 5 and 12 didn't have anyone on scene for a long period of time and kept droning on and on, long after the storm had dissipated and moved into the Thumb area. No one wants to reign in Bryan or JR apparently... or their oversized egos.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:39 pm

I guess that is a reasonable suggestion. If the storm has dissipated, go back to normal programming. If it flares up again, they can jump right back in.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:50 pm

You guys do realize that 5 and 12 have viewers in Lapeer and Tuscola county? Just because your area is safe doesn't imply that everywhere else is as well. These storms themselves were moving between 80 and 100 MPH. The gust fronts from that present their own safety concerns and problems, let alone tornadoes spinning up within them.

Secondly, "official" channels, Genesee County 911 for instance, didn't get the warning sirens on until the alert had already come over cell phones and cable some five minutes prior. The damage had already happened in Clayton township before the sirens were activated. I heard all of this transpire on the Skywarn repeater.

Nothing personal, but some people need to start choosing their battles better before they run off the edge.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:59 pm
R Bedell wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 am
lovinlife101:

While I agree with you on some of your points, you can avoid all the crap and log into this link: https://www.weather.gov

Also, you can download the Mobile App from www.noaa.com

Both have very accurate information, without all the hype and entertainment value. You can get valuable information in less than a minute.

I have used those links for years.
Bingo! Hence no need for any drama of interrupting any programming. The internet, use it!
What if the internet is not working or the broadband has failed then what?

autolab

Post by autolab » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:24 am

HL101: I thought the ----liar nickname was meant for me. Now I'm just disappointed in your lack of creativity in bullying other posters like audio.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 am

One of the things I noticed with regard to OTA coverage of storms, is that in GR, when a SVR goes out, most stations almost immediately go on air, until the warning has cancelled. Then they resume normal programming. Many stations for years did this as more of a courtesy. Now, it's become sort of 'the norm' in most areas.

Look at the Tornado Alley area for an example of broadcast coverage during a storm.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:47 am

Good Lord...

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Either ride out the storm in the cellar with Auntie Em, Uncle Henry, Hunk, Zeke and Hickory, or take the Dorothy Gale route: complain about the TV coverage to Professor Marvel, rescue Toto from a local dog-napping gang of underpaid Meterologists led by Miss Gulch, and pray for a cell signal in your ramshackle prairie house, as your wi-fi hasn't worked since Uncle Henry knocked the Direct TV dish off the roof because RFD-TV was interrupted by some weather alert in the middle of U.S. Farm Report.

For those who choose the latter, knock yourselves out. I'll be in the cellar asking Hickory if he'd ever met Jed Clampett.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:59 pm
Musicrewired wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:01 pm
Either ride out the storm in the cellar with Auntie Em, Uncle Henry, Hunk, Zeke and Hickory, or take the Dorothy Gale route: complain about the TV coverage to Professor Marvel, rescue Toto from a local dog-napping gang of underpaid Meterologists led by Miss Gulch, and pray for a cell signal in your ramshackle prairie house, as your wi-fi hasn't worked since Uncle Henry knocked the Direct TV dish off the roof because RFD-TV was interrupted by some weather alert in the middle of U.S. Farm Report.

For those who choose the latter, knock yourselves out. I'll be in the cellar asking Hickory if he'd ever met Jed Clampett.
“Underpaid”? No such word.

You don’t get what you deserve. You get what you negotiate. It’s nobody’s fault but your own if you consent to a bad deal.
Very well said LL

Music is my life.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 am

Well, if you're getting that I think Meteorologists are underpaid from what I wrote, I guess you think the rest of it is based in reality as well. I'll tell the gang you send your regrets, and that you can't make the Emerald City All-Class Reunion this year.

Not that it's the topic at hand, but I don't care what any Meteorologist is paid. Their success or failure to reap financial reward for their efforts is of no concern to me. The subject had already been brought up (its' relevance notwithstanding), and I was tying it into the overall theme of tornadoes and their place in a polite society.

I suppose that I should leave the levity for those with the chainsaws. If it weren't for sarcasm, there might be no chasm at all.

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue May 28, 2019 11:25 pm

Broadcast TV is a free service that is there to entertain when necessary and to inform when necessary. Sometimes one is more necessary than the other... like in the case of dangerous weather conditions. That being said... I felt this meteorologist was way over the top and out of line. He should have just ignored any complaints and done his job, which is to inform... not to admonish people.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic