All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/16 at 8:15p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Bingo Takes Down Newfoundland Radio Station

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

Bingo Takes Down Newfoundland Radio Station

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Radio silence

How a high-school-based broadcast outlet gave the outport town of Wabana, Nfld., a bingo jackpot and a source of hope and joy for the community's youth, before infighting pulled it all apart. Jessica Leeder explores why things went wrong and how residents are hoping to fix it

It was not so long ago on Bell Island that the radio antenna that juts from the roof of the high school here, built atop the land's highest point, was a beacon to the community. It symbolized a newly optimistic orientation in this worn mining town, a shift toward pride of place and the thrill of citizen engagement.

For more than four years, the volunteer-run Radio Bell Island transmitted local voices, old and young, across the island and beyond.

"The radio has become a very bright spot in our community. Or I should say it had become a very bright spot in our community," Terasita McCarthy, a lifelong resident, volunteer and community organizer, said last week. "It is dark days now at the radio station."
-
-
-
For the entire story and photos, click on the link

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e37016102/

Vic Doucette

Re: Bingo Takes Down Newfoundland Radio Station

Post by Vic Doucette » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:09 pm

What an awful story.

I was especially interested because my dad was from Corner Brook.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Turkeytop

Re: Bingo Takes Down Newfoundland Radio Station

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:41 pm

The only place I've ever been in NFL is St Johns. Loved it there. The friendliest people I've ever met..

My wife and I were sitting in a restaurant having lunch. I was telling her I'd like to go up to Signal Hill. After we had left the restaurant and were walking back to our hotel a car pulled up to the curb and rolled down the window. There was a couple in the car and the man said "We overheardheard you saying you want to go to Signal Hill. Get in and we'll drive you up."

When we got there he parked the car and said "Go and look around all you want. We'll wait for you." and they did. About 20 minutes later we went back out and they were still there. Drove us back to our hotel.

That was only one of our encounters with Newfoundland neighbourliness. There were many others.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic