Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jessica Starr RIP

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Jessica Starr RIP

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Knowing what I now know thanks to many of you, I can safely say I will NEVER get lasik!!!

Would love to know if the party responsible for the unsuccessful procedure is associated with one of the firms who advertises heavily on local TV.

This market is swarming with health reporters. Yet, I bet not a single one of these folks will do a story highlighting Lasik risks! The news organizations in this town have so little credibility and seem uninterested in real journalism.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Hopefully Denna at Channel 2 will do some type of reporting on her health segments in the future, I also have eye issues that need to be dealt with in the near future as well and I’m considering staying the hell away from Lasik I’m being hit with a Triple whammy Glacoma,Cataracts and Macular Degenerative Disease.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:43 pm

This should bring many things to the front burner.

Yes, there better be an investigation, but it needs to be one from an independent entity

Fox2 has the lead.... whether they like it or not. Time to shine and help one of your own not be a story like so many others that is “item of the week” then forgotten later.

I don’t fault them..... or Jessica..... but now they can use this to prevent others who are obviously suffering and haven’t shared yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kratos429

Post by Kratos429 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 am

A couple observations.

I wonder if FTS needs to do a better job with mental health coverage among their own employees. GM Jeff Murri took his own life in February 2012.

It's hard to think of anything good arising from this but it's been heartening that every single printed or video story I've seen of Jessica's death has featured the suicide helpline number. Jessica's death is not in vain if awareness of depression and mental issues increases.

Outside of 2, the story on 7 with extemporaneous comments from Glenda Lewis was extraordinary. I'm sure talent and execs across the city (including 7 GM Mike Murri who must be having awful flashbacks) are reeling.

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:33 am

Kratos429 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 am
A couple observations.

I wonder if FTS needs to do a better job with mental health coverage among their own employees. GM Jeff Murri took his own life in February 2012.

It's hard to think of anything good arising from this but it's been heartening that every single printed or video story I've seen of Jessica's death has featured the suicide helpline number. Jessica's death is not in vain if awareness of depression and mental issues increases.

Outside of 2, the story on 7 with extemporaneous comments from Glenda Lewis was extraordinary. I'm sure talent and execs across the city (including 7 GM Mike Murri who must be having awful flashbacks) are reeling.
You’re touching on something here that is vitally important. Perhaps the environment isn’t the best for those who are struggling.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:27 am

TheForce wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:23 pm
WWJ was saying the suicide was due to lasik surgery. Kinda confused on that.
Wonder which one of our TV lawyers will jump on this first.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm

That’s a good question too.

Is this a legal case since it’s hard to prove what took her to the point of “no return”.

Yes there are seemingly a few cases now that are coming to light from this, but is it a procedure that many doctors are performing, or is it only one?

No lawsuit will ever bring anyone back that’s been lost. That’s always going to be the case and no amount of money makes it better. It only tries to teach “someone” a lesson..... who may or may not ever learn it.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:08 pm

LASIK generates a lot of advertising revenue for Radio and TV stations, so I don't expect that there will be much of an expose', except for stations who don't advertise refractive services.

Many surgeries have been done with the newer procedure. One source says over one million.

It's not just Detroit area surgeons who promote refractive procedures on Detroit radio and TV. This is nationwide, so if you listen to or watch out of town stations OTA or online, you are bound to be exposed to refractive surgery spots, and features on TV news shows. Many TV and radio personalities have had the procedures done at little or no cost, again nationwide. Station personalities, particularly TV, have had the surgery broadcast or online. Once again, this is not limited to refractive procedures. Many cosmetic and other elective procedures are advertised or promoted through news stories.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:50 pm

I remember JJ constantly promoting some local Dr. Freedland from the Yaldo Eye Center on WOMC about this procedure.

Music is my life.

mmg

Post by mmg » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Bobbert wrote:
TheForce wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:23 pm
WWJ was saying the suicide was due to lasik surgery. Kinda confused on that.
Wonder which one of our TV lawyers will jump on this first.
So......
Who was the Lasik surgeon???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 am

RayQix wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm
That’s a good question too.

Is this a legal case since it’s hard to prove what took her to the point of “no return”.

Yes there are seemingly a few cases now that are coming to light from this, but is it a procedure that many doctors are performing, or is it only one?

No lawsuit will ever bring anyone back that’s been lost. That’s always going to be the case and no amount of money makes it better. It only tries to teach “someone” a lesson..... who may or may not ever learn it.

Can’t exactly put her up on the witness stand to cross examine either... gee that would be an odd sight...

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:24 am

I can’t imagine the intensity of those suffering the end stages of the illness of depression.

I can imagine that their emotional and physical pain is made worse by ignorant or insensitive or uneducated persons - many well-meaning - continuing to spread the dangerous mythology that mental illness is a weakness of character, or an embarrassment, or a selfish state of being, or a hopeless state of being in which family, friends, and co-workers do not realize - the afflicted can recover - or be successfully treated and the illness managed.

We must all work to eradicate those falsehoods which keep the stigma of mental illness circulating throughout the world.

It is an illness. Just like any other illness you can name.

I believe there are many ways to help stop the stigma. And one contribution to this effort is: get rid of the phrase “committed suicide”. I think it much better to replace that with “ died of suicide.” In this way you remove the old misguided idea that
suicide is a criminal act. And you express the truth that suicide is the final stage of the illness of untreated or unsuccessfully treated depression.

Personally - I believe dear Jessica has been welcomed home by God - who has always loved His children unconditionally - as only He can - because only He knows their hearts through and through - and only He knows their fears and sufferings - and everything they endured on earth.

And now His Holy Spirit is inspiring us to help her family and friends in any way we can. And there are countless ways.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:43 am

Re LASIK surgery: I know of a local pediatric surgeon who lost her ability to see well after having the older procedure.

To me - both older or newer procedures are too risky because they involve your eye sight. Which involves your brain.

At the very least it’s probably better to do one eye - and if you have a good result then do the other. To do both eyes at once is far too risky, I think.

Tman

Post by Tman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:30 am

She tried to improve herself for work and life . We can't imagine what she went through to end life like this . I hope we all never do. Very sad .God bless her and her loved ones .

iloveblackpeople

Post by iloveblackpeople » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 am

New York Post is also reporting that it was a hanging.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/14/jessica-s ... et_3601989

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic