All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Tribune's Stations Up For Sale

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
rugratsonline

Tribune's Stations Up For Sale

Post by rugratsonline » Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 pm

...including its flagships in Chicago, WGN AM and WGN-TV, which does not bode well not only for them, but for Chicago culture in general:

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/05/02/t ... town-ties/

Some Guy from Toledo

Re: Tribune's Stations Up For Sale

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed May 03, 2017 2:59 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 pm
...including its flagships in Chicago, WGN AM and WGN-TV, which does not bode well not only for them, but for Chicago culture in general:

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/05/02/t ... town-ties/
That sucks royally.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Tribune's Stations Up For Sale

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Agreed.

I have low confidence that either Sinclair or FOX will be able to manage these properties in the way they should be managed. FOX has failed miserably with its O&O - Fox 32 - over the past decade. Once a formidable competitor to WGN, Fox 32 News these days draws meager ratings.

Personally, I'd love to see Weigel Broadcasting acquire WGN-TV & Radio. Unfortunately, I suspect they lack the access to capital necessary to pull off such a coup.

Another group who I think would be a terrific fit is Cox Media Group. They own a number of very successful local TV stations in large & major markets and are also a pretty solid radio operator (they are much better managed than iFart and Cumulus).

Between Sinclair and 21st Century Fox, if a gun were pointed at me, I'd choose the latter. FOX at least has a decent major market track record (Chicago's abysmal performance notwithstanding). There are very few examples where they acquired a high profile station only to take it into the shitter. In most cases, performance either stayed the same or improved.

Sinclair's track record of running high profile major market TV stations is of very short duration. Only recently did they acquire major TV news operations in the top 20 markets (D.C. and Seattle).

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic