Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WHNE channel 14

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Splouge

Re: WHNE channel 14

Post by Splouge » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:57 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 pm
Out of curiosity, how many watts is WHNE? I have a hard time receiving it in Livonia.
15000 watts.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

It really doesn’t matter if you receive them ,the programming Is not that good as a matter of fact they’re deleted on my TV ,the only reason I received them yesterday is due to that technical mess that happened in the morning

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:24 am

That’s your opinion. I’d still like to receive the station.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 am

I don't know what part of Livonia you live in, but in Livonia, the furthest away point from WHNE is 15.3 miles. There, an Antennas Direct 4Max should work indoors.

All I ever watch from WHNE is GetTV. If that's all you're wanting to watch and you can't get WHNE, GetTV is available for a very cheap price on some streaming services. You can also watch Light TV (which is on 14.1) live on the Light TV website for free.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 am

On Channel 20, the ERP is 15 kW.

The application, which was just reviewed on 11-30-18, for Channel 3, the ERP is 3 kW. Both are directional, with a maximum to the NW and a null to the SE. From my limited knowledge of LPTV digital applications, and reviewing the recent filing, I'd say everything is in order. Electrical noise may be an issue on 60-66 MHz, but it should get over hills a lot better. You will need an efficient antenna for Channel 3, but even rabbit ears mounted away from the set to avoid interference from the TV, and oriented toward the Southfield Royal Oak Township antenna farm area should work. Get the antenna as high as possible, in the room, attic, or outdoors. Pull the elements fully out for Channel 3, and experiment with the rotation and element angle for best reception. If you can monitor a signal strength or quality meter while orienting, do so.

https://fccdata.org/?facid=&call=whne&c ... d=&lang=en

It's elliptically polarized on Channel 3, which may help with rabbit ears and orientation. If you're trying to receive it in Flint or other outlying areas, use a directional high gain outdoor antenna with Low VHF (2-6) elements (the 769_ series and similar antennas won't work well at all) on a rotator and orient it the same way as the other SF-ROT antenna farm stations.

When in doubt, re-scan.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 am

I use a 150-mile range antenna on a 25-ft tower. I should be able to receive LPTV from Orlando with this thing. LOL

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:50 pm
Retro still has an annoying dashed line at the top of the screen.
The annoying dashed line is frozen or non-updating vertical blanking interval closed captioning data. It should not ever be visible to viewers. and can (easily) be blanked out at the source (RetroTV origination) before transmission to affiliates. We see it when Retro shows 16:9 video nested within its 4:3 SD frame as transmitted by WHNE. No need for any analog style VBI captioning as this info can be embedded as data in the digital stream (how CC is transmitted OTA these days).
BTW, noticing that WHNE (PSIP 14, RF 20) is again showing streams on 14.1 - 14.12 on my receiver, and the Retro programming, and most other SD content on 14 is displaying at full-height, and correct, non-anamorphic aspect ratio. As you've noted, picture quality is quite good on all the streams.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Good info regarding the dreaded dashed line; thank you! :)

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:37 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 am
I use a 150-mile range antenna on a 25-ft tower. I should be able to receive LPTV from Orlando with this thing. LOL
150 mile antennas are absolute BS. You got scammed

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:47 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 pm
Out of curiosity, how many watts is WHNE? I have a hard time receiving it in Livonia.
I'm surprised you'd have trouble receiving them in Livonia. Granted, 15kW is not very much power, but you're not far away.

Are you using an indoor antenna in a room that is neither in the attic nor in an East-facing window?

If your antenna is indoors anywhere else in the house, you may fail to receive your program due to reflections occurring inside the house, even if the signal is very strong.

If your viewing room is in the western room of your house, consider placing your antenna in the East window and running a cable under the floor to your TV.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:56 pm

It’s not actually 150-miles, I was speaking in hyperbole. I don’t know what its actual advertised range is. Its an old fashioned rooftop TV antenna with 40-some elements. It’s directional, and pointed to Southfield, but I get CBET just fine.

I used to get WHNE but apparently something happened one day and now I don’t receive it on any TV, even after rescanning. Oh well.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Splouge wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:37 pm
ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:56 am
150 mile antennas are absolute BS. You got scammed
Very true.

Broader statement: you'd do best to ignore any claim on "range". It's completely subjective, nobody is there to question "range", so sellers are free to claim any figure of "range" they want.

It works both ways. I've seen TV signals from about 1000 miles with the 2 1/2' antenna built into a battery power TV, and heard TV sound from 2000 miles away with a whip antenna in a moving truck*.

Unscrupulous sellers of antennas will sometimes lowball an antenna's range claim, advertising a Hoverman antenna a "range" of 20 miles, when, in fact, it is often effective at 50 (albeit only at UHF). They want their customers to buy the more expensive antennas.

A seller may offer a line of antennas with ranges of 15, 30, 45 and 60 miles, when the actual "ranges" for their stations would be like 32, 40, 48, and call the cable company.

*those super-far receptions were done during occurrences of a natural phenomenon called Sporadic-E skip.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 pm

I know. I don’t know the actual advertised range of the antenna. I was speaking in hyperbole. It’s big and it’s old. That’s what she said.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 pm

I do miss the days of analog TV DX’ing with rabbit ears and wire circle antenna for UHF.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:52 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 pm
I do miss the days of analog TV DX’ing with rabbit ears and wire circle antenna for UHF.
You can still get pretty cool DTV catches. I myself have gotten stations from Columbus and one time, even WYZZ Peoria. It just takes more patience

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic