Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

2 Flips! NYC and Chicago

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
1027BrianFM

2 Flips! NYC and Chicago

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:10 pm

92.3 New York City, The former WXRK, Howard Stern's old Flagship station. https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1210 ... -alt-92-3/

104.3 WJMK Chicago, now classic hip hop.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1210 ... -stunting/

Chrocket87

Re: 2 Flips! NYC and Chicago

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Don't forget Dallas! Yeah, ETM said they were doing research and thought cbs was flying on autopilot for years, but who thought 3 flips in top 5 markets almost instantly after taking the keys?

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm

Oh wow... I didn't see that one. hmmm? So LA and Detroit are the only ones that have AMP radio now. https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1210 ... -7-dallas/

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Boston, too. Though I'd say the Detroit and Boston Amp brands are probably vulnerable.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Y'all are forgetting about 101.9 Amp Radio in Orlando.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:08 am

I'm a little surprised Amp 98.7 didn't flip (or at least go All-Christmas for now)

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

I think that ones next.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Weak-sauced alternative would earn them no better than a 2.5 share, and they'd have difficulty attracting ad buys. It would be late 90's Planet 96-3 all over again (what a pathetic, bland station that was!).

New York flipped because the station was in the bottom three among English language FM's in that market with regard to ad revenue (even ratings starved ESPN 98.7 outbilled them). Ditto for Chicago when excluding puny Class A signals. I don't have a good explanation for Dallas - other than the fact Alternative worked reasonably well there for more than two decades, was not available on the dial for the last year, and Entercom apparently feels they can do a better job of programming such a station than iFart.

All data suggests pop-flavored alternative does not work well in Detroit. There is a TON of empirical evidence to back up that assertion.

94.7 in Washington will likely be the next station to flip, and my guess is they'll flip to either Classic Hip-Hop or Classic Hits. It's amazing that particular market does not already have a classic hip-hop outlet. 95.5 WPGC was incredibly popular in the mid & late 90's.

I also would not rule out 102.7 in NYC flipping to something different. Fresh has always been a weak biller. Granted, direct competitor WPLJ has not fared much better, if at all, in recent years.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm

The latest post-merger flip: Orlando as another AMP goes ALT.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1213 ... -movement/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Dumb move.

Alternative has had a shaky history in the Orlando market. Anyone remember the former O-Rock 105.9 ? What about WJRR when it branded as "101One" ?

101.9 FM should've been returned to an Urban format of some kind.

By the way, when did 98.9 WMMO flip to Classic Rock?!!! They position as Classic Hits, but that is very clearly a Classic Rock playlist! How did that shift fly completely under the radar of the trade rags?

Radio Sucks

Post by Radio Sucks » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:00 am

Two hour playlist from WMMO last Monday night. They also just finished a Rick Springfield promotion, which in my mind means they play Classic Rock Hits, but position themselves a little more "mainstream" as opposed to "rock".

Lynyrd Skynyrd Free Bird
Poison Unskinny Bop
Eagles Hotel California
Black Crowes Hard To Handle
Lynyrd Skynyrd What's Your Name
Journey Any Way You Want It
Aerosmith Rag Doll
Seger, Bob & The Silver B… Still The Same
Idol, Billy Rebel Yell
Palmer, Robert Simply Irresistible
Pink Floyd The Happiest Days Of O…
Pink Floyd Another Brick In The W…
U2 New Year's Day
Queen Crazy Little Thing Cal…
AC/DC Thunderstruck
Fleetwood Mac Dreams
Men At Work Who Can It Be Now?
Van Halen Why Can't This Be Love
Petty, Tom & The Heartbre… Mary Jane's Last Dance
Henley, Don All She Wants To Do Is…
Clapton, Eric Cocaine (Live)
Cream Sunshine Of Your Love
Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar On Me
Romantics What I Like About You
Motley Crue Wild Side

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 pm

It's no wimpier than what WCSX plays, in my opinion.

Radio Sucks

Post by Radio Sucks » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:31 am

Same two hour time period (Monday night, Nov 27) from WCSX - A little harder maybe?

Steve Miller Band The Joker
Idol, Billy White Wedding
AC/DC T.N.T.
Kiss Detroit Rock City
Survivor Eye Of The Tiger
Grand Funk Railroad The Loco-Motion
Aerosmith Walk This Way
Beatles Hey Jude
Pink Floyd The Happiest Days Of O…
Pink Floyd Another Brick In The W…
Thorogood, George & The D… Bad To The Bone
Joel, Billy My Life
Police Every Breath You Take
Walsh, Joe Life's Been Good
Rush Tom Sawyer
Boston Foreplay/Longtime
Gabriel, Peter Sledgehammer
Led Zeppelin Ramble On
Bon Jovi You Give Love A Bad Na…
Cheap Trick Surrender
Osbourne, Ozzy Crazy Train
Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women
Nazareth Hair Of The Dog
Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter
Seger, Bob & The Silver B… Against The Wind

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:42 pm

And the flips continue...

After its longtime Country format was blown up for Christmas music, KMPS Seattle is now Soft AC "94.1 The Sound" to take the station out of competition with Entercom's incumbent Country "100.7 The Wolf" KKWF.

But Sea-Tac was not a one-Country market for long, as Hubbard's KVRQ is now "Country 98.9."

Meanwhile, 101.9 in Orlando is now just "FM 101.9" as the "ALT" name was already in use on an HD side channel of WJRR.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Fantastic move for Hubbard.

Dumb move from Entercom.

KMPS has 43 years of heritage behind it and stronger billing than 100.7 The Wolf.

True, another Entercom station (Rock 99.9 KISW) loses a competitor in the process. But KVRQ was never a strong competitor to KISW.

The one thing Entercom did correctly was to give 100.7 The Wolf a nice running start by flipping KMPS to all-Christmas for a couple weeks and encouraging the KMPS audience to tune to 100.7 to hear Country.

Either both Country stations should've been retained or KKWF should've been given the heave-ho instead of KMPS.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Entercom flipping KMPS to Soft Rock screams of bad programming decisions. Will the 94.1 frequency in Seattle become like 106.7 did after AMFM dumped W4? Won't the new soft rock format on 94.1 directly compete with a station Entercom already own in KJAQ's variety hits format?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:52 pm

KJAQ was divested to iHeartRadio; Entercom does not own that station.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic