Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 4-29-2017 at 10:00a ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WJAR Providence airs promo intended for WBFF Baltimore

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
mtburb

WJAR Providence airs promo intended for WBFF Baltimore

Post by mtburb » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:59 pm

You thought Sinclair was already really bad? This is the ultimate icing on the cake...I'm not sure when this happened, but someone managed to catch WJAR Providence air a sweepstakes promo created and intended for WBFF Baltimore!
https://youtu.be/YyB1RY3DnH8

I've heard of other stories of certain stations airing promos intended for another market, if you know of any feel free to share them here too.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

TC Talks

Re: WJAR Providence airs promo intended for WBFF Baltimore

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 am

Did that mistake cost them money? They don't care about the viewers, if they are watching ota TV, viewers have demonstrated that they have a high tolerance for marginal programming.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Anyone remember Equity Media Holdings? They ran all their stations on the cheap, via satellite from Little Rock, Arkansas. One year, Marquette's then-Fox affiliate WMQF ran commercials and promos intended for its sister station in Butte, Montana, KLMN, during an NFL game one Sunday. The company would soon go bankrupt, with many of its stations either closed or sold off. (WMQF is now MyNet affiliate WZMQ, while KLMN went dark altogether.)

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:37 am

rugratsonline wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 pm
Anyone remember Equity Media Holdings? They ran all their stations on the cheap, via satellite from Little Rock, Arkansas. One year, Marquette's then-Fox affiliate WMQF ran commercials and promos intended for its sister station in Butte, Montana, KLMN, during an NFL game one Sunday. The company would soon go bankrupt, with many of its stations either closed or sold off. (WMQF is now MyNet affiliate WZMQ, while KLMN went dark altogether.)
That's a shame. Sometimes companies do not make the best decisions (such as what Sinclair did).

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 am

rugratsonline wrote:
One year, Marquette's then-Fox affiliate WMQF ran commercials and promos intended for its sister station in Butte, Montana, KLMN, during an NFL game one Sunday.
Somehow this is a bit common among CBC stations as well-for example, CBET often airs commercials for musicals that are...playing in Toronto; and I managed to catch CBMT Montreal air a news promo intended for it's sister station in Ottawa just after I arrived at my cottage in Ogemaw County last July.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:25 pm

mtburb wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 am
rugratsonline wrote:
One year, Marquette's then-Fox affiliate WMQF ran commercials and promos intended for its sister station in Butte, Montana, KLMN, during an NFL game one Sunday.
Somehow this is a bit common among CBC stations as well-for example, CBET often airs commercials for musicals that are...playing in Toronto; and I managed to catch CBMT Montreal air a news promo intended for it's sister station in Ottawa just after I arrived at my cottage in Ogemaw County last July.
I recall CBET nearly getting downgraded to being CBLT's semi-satellite when it came to using their sign-offs during the late 90's.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:25 pm
I recall CBET nearly getting downgraded to being CBLT's semi-satellite when it came to using their sign-offs during the late 90's.
They currently somewhat act like a semi-satellite of CBLT: they air ads for musicals that are intended for CBLT and they simulcast CBLT's 11 PM news.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:32 am

mtburb wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 pm
Some Guy from Toledo wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:25 pm
They currently somewhat act like a semi-satellite of CBLT: they air ads for musicals that are intended for CBLT and they simulcast CBLT's 11 PM news.
Oh well, kinda hoped their budget wasn't stripped again but I guess so.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 am

mtburb wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:27 pm
While on this topic...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXB2c0my4i0
Still at least it's not WGTE's main channel doing this, though I wonder how fun that would be, seeing all of WGTE's programming being controlled out of Dayton!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:17 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if most cable customers watched WLUK for FOX during this time, which was still carried on most UP cable systems at the time (and in the clear AFAIK).

Equity's bankruptcy was good for FOX, as they got better affiliates (DT2 of Big Three affiliates) in Marquette and Western Montana (KLMN was actually in Great Falls, but Equity also owned FOX affiliates in Butte (KBTZ) and Missoula (KMMF)).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic