Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Changes in Tampa Bay area.

Hey, some of us like to talk about happenings in other areas of the country, too. Here's the place to do it.
Turkeytop

Changes in Tampa Bay area.

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Thunder Across the Bay was the name for a Classic Rock station in the Tampa Bay area. 105.9 Tampa and 94.5 St Pete.

While my back was turned, they flipped it. When we got back here, it's now called "Throwback." It's now hip hop or rap, not sure which

audiophile

Re: Changes in Tampa Bay area.

Post by audiophile » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:15 am

Classic Rap...aka CRap.

Should have been called Throw Up...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:06 am

If I have my area right 98.7 No rule rock flipped to AC too.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:52 pm

I keep a bank of presets on the car radio set to my favorite Florida stations so I don't have to find them all over again when I come back every year. Last night, when I was out, I looked for something to replace 105.9, which I won't be listening to anymore. I found on 106.1 WTAN from Clearwater. They were playing a Standards, Music of Your Life format. Right away I locked a preset button to it.

I went into a store for about ten minutes and when I came back out and turned the radio they were playing Rap. I kept it on all the way home and they continued to play Rap. After I got back I put it on thee radio in the house. I checked back several times last evening and it was always Rap.

Turned it on this morning and it was back to Music of Your Life. I'm listening this evening and it's still Music of Your Life. I can only conclude that, last night, someone must have accidentally flipped a wrong switch.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:55 am

Yup - WBRN-FM is now "B98.7," a Mainstream AC format.

They snagged the morning show from the market leading AC station. Their signal is strongest on the west side of the bay (Pinellas County), where lots of old farts live. Also of note - Pinellas County is 82% white. So, this new format has a shot of being fairly successful, since it appears to be a good match for the zip codes where the signal is strongest.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:33 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Yup - WBRN-FM is now "B98.7," a Mainstream AC format.

They snagged the morning show from the market leading AC station. Their signal is strongest on the west side of the bay (Pinellas County), where lots of old farts live. Also of note - Pinellas County is 82% white. So, this new format has a shot of being fairly successful, since it appears to be a good match for the zip codes where the signal is strongest.
Yet a few years earlier they were "Play 98.7", which carried "All the hits, without the rap" -- that format lasted two years (2010 to 2012) before flipping to sports talk for two years, then talk for two more before adopting the present AC format.

Any bets on hearing something else at 98.7 this time in two years?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic