All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

HTTPS

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
SaveFerris

HTTPS

Post by SaveFerris » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi, after viewing a story on TV about the repeal of internet privacy rules, which means my ISP can now sell data about my internet activity without my permission, I installed the HTTPS everywhere addon on both my computer and my cell phone. While this isn't a perfect solution, they can still see what websites I am connecting to, this prevents against them seeing exactly which pages I am accessing or intercepting any content I submit. The Buzzboard does not have working HTTPS though. It seems it's there, as you can see from https://www.mibuzzboard.com but there is not a valid certificate. You should look into fixing this. Besides the issues I already raised this could also aid in keeping communications private when someone accesses this site from their employers networks. I believe there are a couple different places giving out free SSL certificates, you should look into it. Thank you for reading my suggestion.

audiophile

Re: HTTPS

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm pretty sure that SSL license wouldn't be free or even cheap, unless the hosting site has a shared license that MW could use.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:40 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 pm
Hi, after viewing a story on TV about the repeal of internet privacy rules, which means my ISP can now sell data about my internet activity without my permission...
It is unfortunate how dishonestly the media has been reporting this story. The "repeal" was of a law that never went into effect. In other words, nothing whatsoever has changed - the same rules that have applied to ISP's in the past will continue to apply to ISP's in the future.

The media-induced panic has been entertaining to watch.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:19 pm

I agree non-story. Google mines a lot more data and they beyond the reach of this order.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:50 am

This is absolutely not a non-story. I'll try to keep politics out of this because this is not a political issue, it's a privacy issue. What Google does has nothing to do with it either. You have a choice to use their services. If you are concerned about what they are doing there are alternatives, such as duckduckgo. This is not the case for ISP services. Usually you are only served by two competing companies. It is very difficult to set one up due to regulatory hurdles that were lobbied for by the larger companies like AT&T and Comcast.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/03/c ... e-industry

I have to give props to the 15 Republicans who did the right thing. This is a serious issue in dire need of attention.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:12 am

I looked into this. Purchasing an SSL certificate would run me $100 a year.

Sorry, SaveFerris, but you're the only person who has made a specific request for this. It's not worth it.

If it were - say - $25 per year, then I would purchase it without hesitation.

I'm already spending close to $550 per year between the domain name and hosting services that I need for the Buzzboard.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm

https://letsencrypt.org/ provides the service for free.

Edit: it looks like your host, inmotionhosting, has no planned support for this service. I am quite surprised at the price you're paying. I rent two dedicated servers and it doesn't even cost me half that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

I've been using them for years and am pleased with their level of customer service. I have no desire to switch. My $550 estimate was a little off; it's actually about $500 ($479 of which is for the actual hosting).

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

barkisRadio

Post by barkisRadio » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:09 pm

FWIW, if you have shell access & can install it--or a virtual private server--Let's Encrypt will work fine for you. My hosting service is HostGator and they just added it as a 'free' option using Let's Encrypt, so I made the appropriate config mods for the five websites I manage. Since this is an 'old' thread, perhaps things have changed in a year?

MW: although I don't post here much, for years I've read the Michigan Buzzboard and greatly appreciate your labor of love. Many Thanks!

--
Visit Radio Days! at https://radio.barkis.net

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:38 pm

MW,

Look into Liquid Web. Lansing based, live support in under 60 seconds, free add ons like SSL (which is now required by Google for certain webmaster features) and it's cheaper than what you are paying.

We moved our clients over and never looked back from Servint.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Internet privacy is an oxymoron (obligatory smart-ass remark). :razz

That being said, there are many end-user VPN's out there for affordable prices. There are some free options as well although most of the freebies are ad-supported with slow connectivity, limited gateways and questionable privacy policies (in short, ya get what ya pay for).

I use service called Private Internet Access. Costs me $70 for two years and provides both PC and smartphone access. Takes 10 seconds to launch the app and I don't connect to any public WiFi without it. I also use uBlock Origin. It's a free plugin you can add to most browsers that detects and refuses tracking requests from websites looking to target ads based upon location, browsing activity, etc. It can also be disabled on a per-site basis if you so choose and you trust the site.

Nothing is 100% effective at guarding privacy on the internet and no amount of legislation is going to protect you. Like it or not the responsibility is on us to protect our own privacy through a combination of end-user tools and safe browsing habits. I figure if I'm gonna ride it's worth a few bucks for the helmet!

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:32 pm

MW: although I don't post here much, for years I've read the Michigan Buzzboard and greatly appreciate your labor of love. Many Thanks!
Glad you enjoy perusing the site, barkis. :) Thank you very much for the very kind words!

I'll try to take a fresh look at SSL and similar options this weekend.

As for web hosting, I am very happy and comfortable with my current set-up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic