Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FRS

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

FRS

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:38 pm

Do any of you use FRS? I got these about a dozen years ago, but haven't used them much. They are Sylvania brand and the quality seems decent. They didn't come with any outrageous claims as to miles of range. But I've experimented and they seem to be reliable up to 1/2 mile in my neighbourhood where there are no hills or high rise structures.

I've never really found much practical use for them. I used them today. I had to make a slight adjustment to the satellite dish to peak up the signal. My wife stayed inside and monitored the signal level on the screen and read the numbers out to me. I managed to get it from 82% up to 97%. 80% seems to be the threshold, below which the picture starts to break up.

I've used them for that purpose a few times, but that's about all I've ever done.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Re: FRS

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 pm

We use these when we go skiing or when we go out on the lake in the boat. Many of my neighbors use the same frequency. They come in handy when you run out of beer.

When my kids were little, and they wanted to go to the park down the street, we would make them take a two-way radio so we could talk with them. They were great for those applications.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:58 pm

I expect they would have greater range across water.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Not FRS but I have used MURS. I bought and programmed some old Motorola MT1000 business-band radios since those can legally be used on MURS (minding the deviation and stability requirements of MURS, of course). Very handy for the same kinds of things; aligning antennas, toning out cables, etc. Sure, my MT1000s are bigger but I use them for ham, too, and they're built like bricks!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:56 pm

I have all the GMRS and FRS freqs programmed into my scanners, fun to listen when we go to the campgrounds in summer. Usually it's kids yelling "can you hear me ",....' "Yes I can hear you" and repeat this a dozen more times.
There were quite few business users on GMRS repeaters 20 years ago but the price of digital systems came down and they all changed to that "MotoTrbo" system. The place I worked for would lease out the equipment and repeater time at a fair rate and we got a lot of old GMRS users over.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Mine are FRS only. But sometimes if I just leave one scanning it will catch brief snatches of communications that appear to be from some kind of emergency services.

k8jd

Re: FRS.

Post by k8jd » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:13 pm

FRS shares some of the GMRS channels

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic