Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Slow board performance??

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
Plate Cap

Slow board performance??

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 am

Hi,

I've noticed of late, perhaps the last couple of months, what appears to be slower performance of the server handling this message system.

When a message is submitted, either in the preview mode or the 'submit' mode, there seems to be much longer delay in accepting the submission. I don't see this when browsing the system, nor does it appear, after testing, to be a result of my internet connection.

Could there be some 'issue' with the number of messages, possible system fragmentation, or some other technical issue causing it? Is anyone else noticing it, or is it just me?

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Slow board performance??

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:40 am

You are correct, sir, and I've experienced the same issues over the past 30 days. It's clear multiple users are experiencing such issues, as evidenced by the recent increase in "double posts."

In an effort to correct the problem, I have taken the following steps:
-I've deleted all inactive user accounts where no posting activity has occurred since January 1, 2014
-I've pruned all posts from all forums (other than stickies or announcements) older than two years
-I've run SQL queries to remove all overhead from all phpBB database tables
-Emptied all admin/error log entries (there were literally thousands of items!) and also emptied the search index (which had over 120,000 entries)

I am hopeful these steps will resolve the server lag issues. Within the next 30 days, I intend to upgrade to the latest version of phpBB, which will hopefully produce further improvement in server speed.

Regards,
M.W.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:05 am

test

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 am

Posting speed continues to lag; everything else is working great.

I've tried everything - other than upgrading my version of phpBB to the latest version. That will have to be the next step. Apologies for the inconvenience. Everyone will need to simply let the server take 5 to 10 seconds to complete the posting process. Do NOT hit "submit" repeatedly please, as doing so will cause duplicate posts to appear.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your patience.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 am

Test.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:19 am

I just discovered that posting from Tapatalk is even slower than posting directly from the buzzboard domain. Something screwy is going on here. I am going to reach out to my domain host later today to see if they can offer any pointers.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:38 am

Hi

The search function also appears to be broken.....I was looking for a post and threw everything at it, and finally even searched for the term "lift" which should show up all over the place....it responds not found to any search.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:10 am

Thanks for the info.

I am going to try to upgrade board software this weekend. However, to be able to do so, I need to upgrade my version of php first. I plan on reaching out to my hosting service later today to get the ball rolling on that process.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:20 am

I was on the board when it crashed yesterday. I was viewing the chatterbox then I when I went pol pot it was broke. It gave an error SQL message that I can not remember, a few minutes later it said too many connections. It seems like the board was under some sort of attack?

How come you can't recover the the data?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:03 am

Good info; thanks.

You are correct, audio. It appears the Buzzboard was the victim of a hacker attack; that is what my web hosting company told me. The entire database crashed. Unfortunately, there were no recent backups of the database available. Shame on me, as I failed to make sure database backups were occurring. I learned (the hard way) that once a DB reaches 10 GB, my web hosting provider no longer performs backups.

That left me with two options - (a) restore an old database backup I had previously saved on my local machine or (b) relaunch the Buzzboard entirely from scratch. I went with option (a).

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:14 am

I can't imagine the database was over 10 GB.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:52 am

Including all populated data table values, I was told it was. I share your skepticism.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:03 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:14 am
I can't imagine the database was over 10 GB.
I have no expertise whatsoever on these matters. But suppose someone posts a youtube video that appears as the video. Is that actually just a link? Or does that video become part of the 10 GB?

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 am

That's a link only.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 am

Well, it whacked the never ending Ron Cameron thread and hundreds of Cowboy (+ his other names) posts so it isn't all bad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic