Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How about we start new?

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
Deleted User 10525

How about we start new?

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:06 pm

My Frank Booth account looks to be gone, however this one works. So, I'll put this out there. Why don't we just start new? The threads from 14,15,16,and 17, for the most part are irreverent. Delete all that old stuff and start clean? Like a fresh start.

As much of a hassle as this was, I'm sure. In a way, I see it as kind of liberating. Some of the flame threads are gone and endless pointless ones.

craig11152

Re: How about we start new?

Post by craig11152 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:26 pm

A noble hope but trolls are gonna troll. And we have some active trolls in this little corner of the Internet.

I no longer directly engage trolls

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:54 pm

No time was wasted in one of the inflammatory threads, in its old location. It's like the old house had crap stains all over the floor, and then there was a house fire, but it's ok because the house was rebuilt with nice new floors. Then that day we all moved back in, the same person came and started crapping all over the new floor again.

I love visiting the Buzzboard (I have visited consistently and posted inconsistently since 2004), but I love the idea of starting new. I do wish there was a better way to deal with trolls (only one here in particular, if I had to choose one), as the troll only makes the house toxic for everybody.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:42 pm

While deleting all the old threads is certainly an option i will consider, I do not wish to delete all the pre-existing user accounts. Losing the accounts registered after February 2017 was bad enough.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 pm

I propose a weekly happy hour with lots of tequila.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 4348

Post by Deleted User 4348 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:27 pm

So is part of the issue with the size of the database the number of threads and posts? If it is, then routinely deleting any thread that hasn't been commented on in over a year might help to keep this from ever happening again.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:43 pm

MW, I'm thinking you should consider using Cloudflare to make it more difficult for hackers, and allows for redundancy against DDOS attacks. it's free for small sites like yours.

As for MySQL databases growing too large.. i'm sure there's a script that could be written fairly quickly to dump the existing SQL databsaes to an .sql file like buzzboard-2018-10-30-2242.sql (for a copy-and-export of the databse performed at 10:42 PM on October 30, 2018)...

Possibly include CSF if you have access to WHM to install it.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:11 am

Myself, I went through and deleted threads I started that no one replied to. No reason to keep them as they just cause clutter. If I were to make a suggestion, The "then there's that" ones need to go. I agree with Rob Otto, I think after so long, these forums need to be purged of dead threads, flame ones, and redundant ones. No, don't delete accounts, just some of these pointless or threads that turned into some BS fight.

I guess to look at it in a positive sense, it's kind of liberating. Like clearing out a closet full of junk and taking it all to Goodwill. Make it Beer TC and you got a deal.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 am

I say we blame it all on H***. It was a H*** upheaval of the Buzzboard, caused by a H*** number of posts and accounts. Can't even type (name removed by request) either. Or any Donald Trump quotes.. "It will be a H*** win". I think it's a Grand Rapids conspiracy.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:16 pm

This was a terrible loss for all concerned. So much great information and excellent conversations is now lost and we can't come here and look it up anymore if we needed to.

I would also suggest starting over with a clean slate but it could be difficult to get people signed back up. Perhaps even different forum software.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:56 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:43 pm
MW, I'm thinking you should consider using Cloudflare to make it more difficult for hackers, and allows for redundancy against DDOS attacks. it's free for small sites like yours.
I second CloudFlare. Great tool for bulletin boards

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Thanks, guys, for the CloudFlare recommendation! I'll have to take a look at that utility this weekend. Sounds promising.

As for the idea of erasing all the old threads and "starting fresh," I'm actually pretty pleased with the participation rate since the Buzzboard came back online. Some of the old threads have even been revived and are seeing new life! So, I've decided to leave everything the way it is for now.

I will say this - I've taken a new look at the alternate style sheet templates, and I really, really like a few of 'em! Don't be surprised if the Buzzboard looks differently from a cosmetic standpoint by this weekend! :8)

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Not trying to be a contrarian, but I like having those old threads around. When I initially signed in here in 2007-8 as "Atomic Punk", and again in 2012 as "Mega Hertz", it was really just to kill some time. I was in radio at the time, but haven't been in a while now. God knows I got called out for some of the things I said in the Magic 105.1 threads in my inbox! It was always fun to look back at some of the old threads. The 2008 Mike Valenti thread (featuring such long-gone posters like "LionsGhost" and "yag srewot"), the yearly "3G fired again threads" always have me laughing thanks to "Captain Jean Luc Picard" and good ol' Neckbeard. Threads about format flips and firings and overall "shit just went down" topics. The old "prediction" threads were always the best, because we could always count on some really stupid and far-out predictions...some of which actually came true. "1130 goes Conserv-o Talk", "98.7 Becomes WWJ simulcast", "93.1 Becomes Alternative", "Radio One Exits Market", "WJR Goes Silent". Year after year we called for some crazy shit to happen.

I am glad, however, that lots of the troll threads are gone. But, like Craig said, trolls gon' troll. I've already seen a new one here. It's like Cheers but for radio nerds, political news junkies and those of us that are still attracted to "the biz", whether we're in it or not. Especially now that I live in Brighton...I can read the almost any board on the local forum and know the stations being talked about.

But, I echo the sentiments at MW about running this board. I started a thread back in May that is now gone, but in essence said that he keeps this going with minimal thanks, less help, and even less money. All this headache just to throw a shit fit because WRIF played the Crue twice today? You have my gratitude!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:49 pm

Actually I have a physical copy of some activity on this board, mostly of the threads I started. Right now I'm wondering if I actually have anything somebody would want?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:40 pm

Put 'em on Craigslist perhaps? :)

I regret the fact the tribute thread to Mike Clark (longtime morning radio star at WRIF) and the terrific thread analyzing & discussing Cumulus' bankruptcy were both lost.

I think I'm gonna create a new thread for Mr. Clark.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic