Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

"BANNED"

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
SolarMax

"BANNED"

Post by SolarMax » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 pm

In the interest of improved personal security, I have just activated VPN service from Private Internet Access.
When I go to the Buzzboard URL, I immediately get:
Information

You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

So, here I am, contacting the Board Administrator as instructed.
Is this expected behavior? Do I have disconnect VPN every time to use the Buzzboard?
I will if I need to but that'll be a PITA.

SolarMax

Re: "BANNED" ?

Post by SolarMax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 pm

So, my question remains, what's the deal with this? This is the only site I use that won't allow me to enter using my secure VPN. The VPN provider says not their issue, but yours.

audiophile

Re: "BANNED"

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:10 pm

If your VPN is not a private one, the IP was likely used to, spoof, spam or hack this board.

MW is probably has good reason to leave it locked in that case. (I'm NOT implying you had anything to do with that...)

Why not access the board on a non-VPN phone?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Daypart

Post by Daypart » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Same thing happens with me using Anonymizer.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 am

Yes, I simply disconnect from VPN when I hit this site. Point is, not a single other site "bans" access, and, the point of a VPN is personal security. Not passing financial data or critical stuff here, and until recently I wasn't using a VPN, so more annoying than anything. What with ISP and Telecom-friendly FCC regs, and other entities wanting to peek at our packets, user-side security measures are becoming a widespread fact of life.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm

I got the same message one day when I tried to log in to the Buzzboard, using the WiFi at Tim Horton's

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:19 pm
I got the same message one day when I tried to log in to the Buzzboard, using the WiFi at Tim Horton's
Canadian donut shops (do they spell it that way up there, or is it "dounut"? :rollin are well known havens for terrorist hackers due to the open border pro-cess up there. Banning Tim Horton's wi-fi was Obama's answer to the threat.....that was one day when he was feeling particularly tough.

I too get the 'banned' notice when using PIA. I've experimented with other servers within the PIA 'barn', and some of them work, but they are not the ones the software chooses for auto-connection.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:29 pm

I usually ban IP addresses by range, and those bans are almost always the result of spambot registrations (often from foreign countries).

I have no interest in allowing phony IP's to pass through. Sorry. That's a recipe for more hacking attempts, more spam, and posters engaging in improper conduct.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am
Canadian donut shops (do they spell it that way up there, or is it "dounut"? :rollin

The correct spelling is doughnut.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:36 pm
Plate Cap wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am
Canadian donut shops (do they spell it that way up there, or is it "dounut"? :rollin

The correct spelling is doughnut.
The correct spelling is actually Timmy's.
Eschew obfuscation.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 pm
In the interest of improved personal security, I have just activated VPN service from Private Internet Access.
When I go to the Buzzboard URL, I immediately get:

<snip>

So, here I am, contacting the Board Administrator as instructed.
Is this expected behavior? Do I have disconnect VPN every time to use the Buzzboard?
I will if I need to but that'll be a PITA.
I use PIA too.

Just use a different server....one is banned here; most are not.

Using a VPN is not necessarily about being surreptitious or a hacker, or intentionally hiding's one's IP, or, more to home, utilizing "phony" IPs. It may be the tool of some hackers, but it has many more legitimate users.....mostly those wishing to keep their transmissions private along the way.

Not using a VPN and essentially transmitting in the clear whenever connecting to public wi fi system is purely and simply foolish. Since from time to time we all have to use such systems, embracing a VPN is the only reasonable route....not as to what the IP used is, but instead encrypted tunneling. If I'm getting my email with Outlook while browsing the Buzzboard, I sure as hell don't want my POP/SMTP passwords in the open during a wi fi session at Panera.

It apparently has come down to the fate of rainbow colors and the confederate flag. Each was adopted by a comparatively small group, but now use has a meaning irrelevant and problematic to most users.

And, further, while I'm on my soapbox, if the board accepts the IP address from the Metro Airport wi fi system, or the Holiday Inn in Grand Rapids, both would be untraceable to the miscreant hacker, and would serve no purpose to secure the board.

But, as always, we are all guests here, and have to abide by the rules of the house, be they proper to us individually or not. Just thank Mark for his efforts here, and use another PIA server.

Do not run without a VPN on a public wi fi system.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 pm

Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:12 pm
I use PIA too.

Just use a different server....one is banned here; most are not.
But, as always, we are all guests here, and have to abide by the rules of the house, be they proper to us individually or not. Just thank Mark for his efforts here, and use another PIA server.
Do not run without a VPN on a public wi fi system.
I've been using PIA's "auto" connect, which generally routes me through a geographically nearby server. I'll try a couple of others and see what happens (unless you want to PM me with sites that let me in here).

Happy to abide by the rules and, like you, thank MW for doing all of this.

Regarding VPN on public systems, I'm finding that, and maybe it's the same issue as with accessing this site, that with PIA VPN connected, I'm not at all able to enter certain public hotspots, notably at&t's and Xfinity's. If I disconnect it, then I'm in. I'll try some alternate servers and see if that also helps.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:40 am

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:48 pm

I've been using PIA's "auto" connect, which generally routes me through a geographically nearby server. I'll try a couple of others and see what happens (unless you want to PM me with sites that let me in here).
Florida works; that is one I recall. I think if you experiment, you will find more work than do not.

An interesting fun fact:

If you get your Gmail accounts with Outlook, google will think you are a bad guy and refuse entry to the POP account if you suddenly show up on a distant IP from where you last were. They send scads of mail, and it drives Outlook crazy with bounced logins and requests to you to correct the userid / password.

I see it not only on VPN, but when we travel to our second home about 4500 miles distant. Apparently Google has not heard of airplanes, so the sign-in from here, followed about 11-12 hours later with the sign-in from there will result in a bounce.

You have to go to every Gmail account manually and sign in on web mail for them to then 'accept' that distant IP as legitimate via POP/SMTP.

I see the attempt on their part to 'do right' and 'protect' the user, but it fails in this legitimate example.

SolarMax wrote:

Regarding VPN on public systems, I'm finding that, and maybe it's the same issue as with accessing this site,
Hmmmm.....that may be. I will have to do some experimenting. I have an 'air card', so I for short sessions I usually just use that.
SolarMax wrote:

that with PIA VPN connected, I'm not at all able to enter certain public hotspots, notably at&t's and Xfinity's. If I disconnect it, then I'm in. I'll try some alternate servers and see if that also helps.
Xfinity is more trouble than it is worth, IMHO. I don't know what their infrastructure is (perhaps they just configure a customer router to provide another SSID?), as I wonder about the ROI and trouble involved with hanging an 802.11 router on a phone pole and covering a few hundred foot radius. But, I digress. It seems most times that I attempt to utilize them, it ends in some measure of disappointment, and I just reach for the air card.

Let me know if you need PIA help. It's a great product, very reasonably priced and reliable.

Otherwise, with the point made that VPN users are not all (or even mostly) 'hackers' attempting to use "phony" IPs, my work on this thread is done.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 pm

I lived overseas for 7 years. Almost every ISP I used to access this site was permanently banned, including my home connections. I had to use my computer at work or else my phone, both which would access it, neither of which impressed me much. I thought it was ridiculous(ly annoying). While I have respect for the moderator and owner of the board (I mean, the place does exist for the very reason that we have such a person to keep it here), his reply as to why my IP was banned was pretty offensive at the time. But I digress. I think a large number of people are blocked unintentionally as entire ranges of IPs are banned. There has got to be a better way than to block nearly entire ISPs as was my case. Just because there was one attack from an IP doesn't mean it should be banned forevermore. Kinda like the word "H***" that is censored. I mean... really. There needs to be a point of just resetting the settings now and then. Unblock some things unless you suspect an active attack may originate from a specific place. I understand it's like terrorism -- you never know when or where.
[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm

his reply as to why my IP was banned was pretty offensive at the time.
How so? I enjoy reading your posts, cckadlec, and assure you any offense was unintentional on my part. I apologize if I offended you.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:20 am

I'm also a PIA user. I have it on my PC and my phone. Tried to fire it up in Arby's one day so I could use their WiFi, which was fed by AT&T. Got a prompt back from PIA saying that their network would not allow a VPN connection. Apparently they wanted everything to be wide open. I, however, did not. Disabled the WiFi on my phone and used the 4G connection instead.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm
his reply as to why my IP was banned was pretty offensive at the time.
How so? I enjoy reading your posts, cckadlec, and assure you any offense was unintentional on my part. I apologize if I offended you.
No worries now, really. I had just commented asking if there was a chance the IPs could be unblocked, but you told me that maybe I should tell my people to stop attacking the site. Of course, I was living in Korea at the time and had just moved to a new neighborhood with a new ISP, and "your people" was referring to the Korean people, though I am American. So I was kinda irked, not because of the comment - which is fine - but because that meant for the next year, I had to work around this blocking to post anything or even access the site to read posts. It's all fine now, obviously. :razz
[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 pm

That remark was probably a poorly executed attempt at humor on my part. I apologize for that and am very glad you visit & post regularly. :)

There was a period of time where I was getting spambot registrations from overseas by the hundreds. Many were from Russia, India, China, the Philippines, and the Netherlands. South Korea wasn't on my radar, but apparently the IP you were using at the time was close enough to the IPs from one of those other places.

As phpBB software was updated & enhanced, it became easier to prevent those registrations, although to this day I've been unable to 100% eliminate them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic