Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 3-23-2017 at 6:45p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Slow board performance??

Got a question? Can't figure out how to get that neat picture under your user name? Need any other tech tips? Post it here! Also, this is where I make important site related announcements.
Plate Cap

Slow board performance??

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 am

Hi,

I've noticed of late, perhaps the last couple of months, what appears to be slower performance of the server handling this message system.

When a message is submitted, either in the preview mode or the 'submit' mode, there seems to be much longer delay in accepting the submission. I don't see this when browsing the system, nor does it appear, after testing, to be a result of my internet connection.

Could there be some 'issue' with the number of messages, possible system fragmentation, or some other technical issue causing it? Is anyone else noticing it, or is it just me?
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Slow board performance??

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:40 am

You are correct, sir, and I've experienced the same issues over the past 30 days. It's clear multiple users are experiencing such issues, as evidenced by the recent increase in "double posts."

In an effort to correct the problem, I have taken the following steps:
-I've deleted all inactive user accounts where no posting activity has occurred since January 1, 2014
-I've pruned all posts from all forums (other than stickies or announcements) older than two years
-I've run SQL queries to remove all overhead from all phpBB database tables
-Emptied all admin/error log entries (there were literally thousands of items!) and also emptied the search index (which had over 120,000 entries)

I am hopeful these steps will resolve the server lag issues. Within the next 30 days, I intend to upgrade to the latest version of phpBB, which will hopefully produce further improvement in server speed.

Regards,
M.W.
Welcome back, Rock 95.5 Traverse City!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:05 am

test

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 am

Posting speed continues to lag; everything else is working great.

I've tried everything - other than upgrading my version of phpBB to the latest version. That will have to be the next step. Apologies for the inconvenience. Everyone will need to simply let the server take 5 to 10 seconds to complete the posting process. Do NOT hit "submit" repeatedly please, as doing so will cause duplicate posts to appear.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your patience.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 am

Test.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:19 am

I just discovered that posting from Tapatalk is even slower than posting directly from the buzzboard domain. Something screwy is going on here. I am going to reach out to my domain host later today to see if they can offer any pointers.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:38 am

Hi

The search function also appears to be broken.....I was looking for a post and threw everything at it, and finally even searched for the term "lift" which should show up all over the place....it responds not found to any search.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:10 am

Thanks for the info.

I am going to try to upgrade board software this weekend. However, to be able to do so, I need to upgrade my version of php first. I plan on reaching out to my hosting service later today to get the ball rolling on that process.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:41 am

Test.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 am

The board wasn't loading last night...there was some sort of error.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:25 pm

I don't mind the extra second or two it takes for the board to reload.

Please don't upgrade for that reason...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:33 pm

I do need to upgrade, as eventually there will no longer be support for this version of the phpBB software. The version I'm using is about six years old.

I will save two local back-ups of all files before attempting an upgrade, and my hosting service also backs up all files on a daily basis.

Will probably be anywhere from a couple days to several days before I try upgrading.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:55 pm

How do you guys like the posting speed now ? :)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 pm

The entire appearance of the board has changed. Why is that?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:00 am

The style sheet I used in phpbb 3.0 is not part of the software package in phpbb 3.2. It may be available as an add-on. I'm looking into my options.

The default style for 3.2 is called prosilver. I previously used one called subsilver.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:03 am

Also, I am going to see if I can make the masthead clickable. The loss of that feature is my pet peeve. The "phpBB" logo in full screen mode is clickable, but the Buzzboard title is not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic