Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

General Motors orders stop sales on GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado due to shitty Infotainment OS

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

General Motors orders stop sales on GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado due to shitty Infotainment OS

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:00 am

Whomever made the decision to ditch Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility without first ensuring the successor software was reliable needs to be fired, if that has not already happened.

The Google OS on 2024 models has proven to be a disaster of epic proportions.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 665743007/

Let's see if either of 950 WWJ's automotive reporters bother reporting on this embarrassing problem for GM. In fairness, WWJ did report on the Blazer EV stop-sale when it was announced.

Related story involving the Blazer EV:
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/consume ... -ev-review

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

km1125

Re: General Motors orders stop sales on GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado due to shitty Infotainment OS

Post by km1125 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:49 pm

I really hate that the audio systems is so integrated into the car so that its a real pain to go to an aftermarket solution and still have things work correctly. I think they'd do better to provide a basic system but cater to aftermarket providers that could really add functions that individual users would like.

And it is just really surprising that a company that large can't pull together the resources to really nail an infotainment system they could be proud of. Ford is not much different after the multiple disasters they'd had with theirs.

zzand

Re: General Motors orders stop sales on GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado due to shitty Infotainment OS

Post by zzand » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:59 pm

I have U Connect in my Grand Cherokee, also in the Charger I traded. It is the best system on the market. Works every time. Android Auto connects smooth, voice commands work fine. Take calls and it reads texts to me and allows me to answer with voice. Never had an issue.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:00 am
Whomever made the decision to ditch Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility without first ensuring the successor software was reliable needs to be fired, if that has not already happened.

Let's see if either of 950 WWJ's automotive reporters bother reporting on this embarrassing problem for GM. In fairness, WWJ did report on the Blazer EV stop-sale when it was announced.

I don't know if my 2020 Equinox has any of those features. I don't even know what it means.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:26 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:00 am

Frankly not having CarPlay is a disqualification for me as a buyer and with iPhones being over 50% of the market whoever thought ditching it was a good idea is on drugs.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:18 pm

GM has made head scratching moves since 2019/2020. I think ending the hybrid Volt production was a big mistake. Not even progressives like me want all electric cars because the technology is unproven. CarPlay was very reliable. We got next to no complaints when I worked escalated concerns at GM. It's almost like the board of directors and Mary Barra want to tank GM.

I can tell you that dealerships struggle to find quality electric technicians for the all electric cars. Now, they have a gluts of all electrical vehicles on the lots which is only going to lead to lot rot and dead batteries.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:24 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:18 pm
GM has made head scratching moves since 2019/2020. I think ending the hybrid Volt production was a big mistake. Not even progressives like me want all electric cars because the technology is unproven. CarPlay was very reliable. We got next to no complaints when I worked escalated concerns at GM. It's almost like the board of directors and Mary Barra want to tank GM.

I can tell you that dealerships struggle to find quality electric technicians for the all electric cars. Now, they have a gluts of all electrical vehicles on the lots which is only going to lead to lot rot and dead batteries.
Hybrid's will ultimately be where it's at... notice who isn't rushing into electrics... Toyota. That's not a stupid group of people.... everybody else... yeah.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:42 pm

I happen to own a GM product and the entertainment package works great in my 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. AM/FM Stereo, what more could you want. Fortunately I special ordered the FM stereo or it would have only come with an AM radio. The AM radio works great, picks up everything. Special ordered air conditioning too. Very cold air.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:30 am

zzand wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:59 pm
I have U Connect in my Grand Cherokee, also in the Charger I traded. It is the best system on the market. Works every time. Android Auto connects smooth, voice commands work fine. Take calls and it reads texts to me and allows me to answer with voice. Never had an issue.
UConnect and Jeep are the only two things FCA has going for it.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:56 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:30 am
zzand wrote:
Not enough to make up for the shitty transmissions.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

kager

Post by kager » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:11 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:56 am
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:30 am
zzand wrote:
Not enough to make up for the shitty transmissions.
Take it easy on the trans', will you?

Maybe it depends on the vehicle. Personally, I had 150K + on my '14 GC - regular driving and towing - and had ZERO issues with it. If it hadn't been totalled by a deer hit, I'd still be driving it.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:15 am

Believe me, anything with a Jeep nameplate on it is a piece of crap.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:10 pm

I would lease - not buy - the Grand Cherokee, would consider the Wrangler (only if I were a serious off-roader), and I'd avoid all of Jeep's other late models.

The Cherokee, Compass and Renegade are all bad.

The Cherokee was a good vehicle 25 or 30 years ago.

Want a Chrysler-made SUV? If you don't mind a big vehicle, the Dodge Durango is a good choice. Those are among the better full-size SUVs from a reliability standpoint.

I've been noticing a lot of 2020 to 2022 Honda models (cars and SUVs alike) have recalls on them for various maladies. Quality control must've nose dived there during the pandemic.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:42 am

Agreed on the 3 JINO models listed - an embarrassment to the brand.

I’m not sure that it is still the case since the latest gen of GC, but under the skin, the Durango shared quite a bit with the platform of at least the previous gen (2014-2020) GC.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:58 am

kager wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:42 am
Agreed on the 3 JINO models listed - an embarrassment to the brand.

I’m not sure that it is still the case since the latest gen of GC, but under the skin, the Durango shared quite a bit with the platform of at least the previous gen (2014-2020) GC.
The 2011-2024 version was sharing the GC chassis. The 2025+ version will be on the RAM full size truck chassis. It is also changing names to Stealth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic