Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Self Checkout

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 16144

Self Checkout

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:32 am

In my latest shopping trip to Aldi, the store had only two lanes open and about six self checkouts which is fine. But one problem with the self checkout at this location is the self checkout was credit or debit card only, no cash. Now I usually feel guilty when I use the self checkout and that in my opinion, that it puts people out of work. I also feel that when I’m patronizing a business, I’m paying for a service, a Cashier and even someone to bag all my groceries. I do realize that we are living in an automated age, but we still need that human element. Another reason is I don’t care for the self checkout because a machine doesn’t pay into the payroll tax which affects Social Security. The Social Security Trust fund will be depleted by 2034 and if the politicians in D.C. do nothing to reform the program, all of the recipients of Social Security will no longer get 100% we will be lucky to get 77%. Medicare is going to run out of money by as early as 2029. So the question is when you patronize a business and it has self checkouts do you favor that or do you prefer to go to the lane where there is a live cashier? And what about Social Security, are you concerned about its future?
Last edited by Deleted User 16144 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

craig11152

Re: Self Checkout

Post by craig11152 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:30 am

Based on the number of help wanted signs I see I wonder if part of the self checkout is a lack of employees wanting to work the job.
Alternatively I read about how razor thin the profit margins are in the business maybe there is some necessity to it.
Maybe a store with self checkout didn't get rid of people, rather moved them to other things like stocking shelves.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:04 am

Self checkout is the way to go.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:06 am

How old are you people? Most of life has moved toward automation.

For example, AI wrote this response.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:40 pm

During Covid, self checkouts at big box stores wouldn't take cash. I thought that was trash as I didn't want to use a card. So I had to wait in long lines instead at regular check lanes, just for a couple items.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:11 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:06 am
True but self checkout has nothing to do with automation. Except I suppose if you pay with cash. Then a machine takes your money and spits out change. Everything else is a customer doing exactly what a cashier and bagger do except draw a paycheck for the work.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:46 pm

I use self check wherever it is available. It is faster, easier to make sure the price is right and I can bag things the way I want usually with less bags involved.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:59 pm

zzand wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:46 pm
I use self check wherever it is available. It is faster, easier to make sure the price is right and I can bag things the way I want usually with less bags involved.
For me, if I'm not using Instacart, I like self checkout because I don't like to wait. Self checkout is faster by a mile. I haven't used cash for a long time.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:

Oh oh I'll take the survey to improve the product...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:06 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:19 pm
TC Talks wrote:

Oh oh I'll take the survey to improve the product...
Other AI results

First try
"How old are you all? The majority of life has transitioned towards automation."

Angry
"How old are you all? Life has practically shifted entirely to automation!"

Super kind
"How old are you all? Life has gracefully evolved, leaning heavily towards automation."

Aspberger
"How old are you all? Life seems to have shifted significantly towards automation, a fascinating transformation."

Mormon
"How old are you all? Life has embraced automation, weaving a tapestry of progress and adaptation."

Conservative Republican
"How old are you all? Witnessing the inexorable march of life towards automation, emphasizing the importance of traditional values and fiscal responsibility."

And... Donald Trump
"How old are you guys? Life's going automated, tremendous progress, just fantastic, folks!"
― Noam Chomsky

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:55 am

Not long ago, I was shopping at a Meijer. I was in there for not quite an hour. When I went to check out, the only lanes that were open were self checkout lanes. There was not a single one with someone at a register who could help you bag, give change intelligently, or other things that service people do. I just parked the full cart, and walked out. One hour of my valuable time wasted.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:45 am

Self checkout leads to theft. Since a lot of posters here are at best wishy washy about Mosaic Law, and profess atheism, they prefer automation that makes theft easy. You also see how the "990 dollars stolen a day is OK" in California, along with lax new bail laws, just doesn't work. The pharmacy and fast food drive up pickup lanes model may soon be extended to convenience and other stores.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/retailers-r ... ction-rise

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/one-in-thr ... oll-shows/
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:17 am

paul8539 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:55 am
Not long ago, I was shopping at a Meijer. I was in there for not quite an hour. When I went to check out, the only lanes that were open were self checkout lanes. There was not a single one with someone at a register who could help you bag, give change intelligently, or other things that service people do. I just parked the full cart, and walked out. One hour of my valuable time wasted.
That is a dick move. You are an asshole. Somebody had to use their valuable time restocking your cart.
If having an actual cashier is that important to you then make note of it when you walk in the store which conveniently is right where the check stations are. If you don't see a live cashier station just walk back out.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:38 am

paul8539 wrote:
“Look at what they made me decide to do!”

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:45 am

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:17 am
paul8539 wrote:
That is a dick move. You are an asshole. Somebody had to use their valuable time restocking your cart.
If having an actual cashier is that important to you then make note of it when you walk in the store which conveniently is right where the check stations are. If you don't see a live cashier station just walk back out.
Not only that, but I wonder how much food melted or spoiled before his abandoned cart was noticed and determined to be abandoned. Many times a grocery store will not restock that because they don't know how long it's been sitting, so it goes in the trash because of the ass who said who cares about the dead animal. I regularly see abandoned meat, fish, eggs, and milk in stores because of assholes like that, and that's the type of food spoilage that really pisses me off.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic