Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ad Blockers And Privacy

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Taco

Ad Blockers And Privacy

Post by Taco » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:37 pm

I use an ad blocker. Many websites detect that you have them. Either you can decline to turn it off and view the site anyways. Or you are locked out of a website. All that aside, I feel this is a violation of privacy. They shouldn't be able to detect what software you are using. Are there any rules for this sort of thing?

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Round Six

Re: Ad Blockers And Privacy

Post by Round Six » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:34 pm

To be honest I'm happy not to view it. There's a billion websites. For every website that wants to inhibit my viewing unless I receive ads, there's a thousand that don't require it.

Just like media paywalls. Can't view your site to get the news? Plenty of other free sites to get the same info.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:29 pm

Ad blockers don’t allow me to access the my Social Security website or any Government website. I have no idea why, Government websites don’t have advertisements. Also, I’ve noticed that if I use an ad blocker I’m not able to utilize some internet radio websites for audio content. With some ad blockers you need to be careful for malware as well. I was told to use an ad blocker suggested by the manufacturer of the device.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:29 am

I suggest you try the Brave browser and see how that works. It's got built-in ad-blocking and seems to work better (at least for me) on most sites. I do still run into the occasional site that won't allow access, but it's much more infrequent than when I relied on plug-ins.

And there are a TON of things they collect when you go to any website, beyond just the fact that you may have an ad-blocker running. Many sites "fingerprint" your computer so they don't even need to install cookies to track your history.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:01 am

Before considering Brave...

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/10/18/brave ... r-consent/
https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/8/21283 ... eo-apology

The Brave BAT is also used to fund a literal stalker website:
The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.
We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.
https://archive.ph/nb9dr#selection-6753.1-6761.82

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:50 pm

YouTube has been trying to ban adblockers after allowing them for years. But now a privacy activist says that these popups violate privacy as YT is scanning extensions for adblockers enabled. He's filed a complaint with the EU alleging they're breaking EU law.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:46 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:50 pm
YouTube has been trying to ban adblockers after allowing them for years. But now a privacy activist says that these popups violate privacy as YT is scanning extensions for adblockers enabled. He's filed a complaint with the EU alleging they're breaking EU law.
If you think about it, seems YouTube can just say "No ads, no videos". It's their website. I only say that because it's how they make a living. Showing ads.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Deleted User 16144

Post by Deleted User 16144 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:53 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:50 pm
This sorta has nothing to do with ad blockers but after my last software update on my Samsung AO2s back in June which was the Android 12 update. Samsung has added a feature that will allow me to play audio websites in the background without the screen remaining on, so if I play YouTube through the Samsung web browser, I’m able to let the screen sleep and save on the battery. This is only accessible through the website and not the YouTube app. I haven’t tried it with an ad blocker yet.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:39 am

I just ignore the ads.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic