Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Paying to have your old car showroom new

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Round Six

Paying to have your old car showroom new

Post by Round Six » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:13 am

I just got done watching a UAW strike update and got to thinking. The price of a new car or truck is going to be awfully doggone high when this is over. If people started setting up Auto Renew shops, would you consider using them instead of buying a new car?

A place that would go through your car, inside and out, and make it brand new again. Mechanical, interior, body work, whatever it takes. Even if it cost a few thousand and the place offered financing, would that be something any of you would consider instead of buying new?

I'm not looking to start a business, or anything like that. Like I said, just a thought that crossed my mind this morning.

Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Re: Paying to have your old car showroom new

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:47 am

Round Six wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:13 am
I just got done watching a UAW strike update and got to thinking. The price of a new car or truck is going to be awfully doggone high when this is over. If people started setting up Auto Renew shops, would you consider using them instead of buying a new car?

A place that would go through your car, inside and out, and make it brand new again. Mechanical, interior, body work, whatever it takes. Even if it cost a few thousand and the place offered financing, would that be something any of you would consider instead of buying new?

I'm not looking to start a business, or anything like that. Like I said, just a thought that crossed my mind this morning.
If it was cheap enough it might be worth it... cheap being relative to the cost of a new car obviously. Additionally lots of folks would like their tech upgraded probably..

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:33 pm

It's certainly an interesting concept, and I'd bet somebody could pull it off. Similar to a "resto-mod" but for contemporary vehicles. It's pretty amazing what they can do just detailing an older car to look good, but imagine if it was a "mechanical detail" that thoroughly went through the drivetrain. It could be even more attractive if you end up having to blow in a tube before you start your car (new cars starting in 2026 have to incorporate some kind of DUI tech).

OH, and BTW that Shawn Feign is a moron. He's going to destroy the industry single-handedly.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:35 pm

Yes. I like a car I can start by hand cranking. None of the new vehicles offer that feature.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:16 pm

Seems like a paint job and detailing would be close and not cost an arm and a leg.

Sorry to burst your anti-union masturbation session, but vehicle prices will rise regardless of the UAW or Fain.

Pleasuring stockholders is the sole focus of the auto industry.
Oh, I forgot paying CEO’s and executives obscene salaries. They like that, too.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Art Van Damme wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:16 pm

Sorry to burst your anti-union masturbation session, but vehicle prices will rise regardless of the UAW or Fain.

Pleasuring stockholders is the sole focus of the auto industry.
Oh, I forgot paying CEO’s and executives obscene salaries. They like that, too.
In the past three years prices have almost doubled. That has nothing to do with labour costs. It's all due to the greed of the auto Companies. They've decided that, from now on, they want to build only trucks and luxury SUVs.

Vehicles that, in the past, were pretty basic, they've loaded up with luxury features to boost the price.

I don't need all wheel drive. I don't need 22" aluminum wheels. I don't need leather seats. I don't need blue teeth (whatever that means). But that's what they want to sell me.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:00 pm

I have been doing this for years... I just retired my pickup with 340,000 miles from 2001. But I also have 7 collector vehicles, so I am a bit unusual.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:02 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:00 pm
I have been doing this for years... I just retired my pickup with 340,000 miles from 2001. But I also have 7 collector vehicles, so I am a bit unusual.
Wow, you and Audiophile keep cars forever - what other beliefs do you share?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:10 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:02 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Audiophile gives them to his daughters after a while...
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:37 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:10 pm
Matt wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
:rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:42 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:10 pm
Matt wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
That's only if they pass the hymen test :x

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:55 am

Matt wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Not many. I don't pile them up in my front yard like he does. I buy quality cars that last a long time. I bet I have more in common with others here than Audiophile. At least we both support abortion rights and same sex marriage.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic