Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Johnny Lujack Has Passed Away At 98

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Ben Zonia

Johnny Lujack Has Passed Away At 98

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:17 am

Johnny Lujack, Notre Dame and Chicago Bears football standout, has passed away at 98. He was the inspiration for an Idaho DJ, the late Larry Blankenburg, to use the stage name Larry Lujack and come to Chicago at WLS.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ck-dies-98

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

radioandtventhusiast

Re: Johnny Lujack Has Passed Away At 98

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:59 am

I've heard of the name Larry Lujack and wondered if he and Johnny were related. I had no idea Larry changed his last name for the football player. May he R.I.P.

Ben Zonia

Re: Johnny Lujack Has Passed Away At 98

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:58 pm

Larry was majoring in Biology in college in Idaho, and had Summer jobs in Forestry Management, before getting a job at KCID. Before hearing about Johnny Lujack being his inspiration, I wondered if Lujack was a contraction of "Lumberjack".

After all, much stranger stage name stories have been told. For instance, John Records Landecker (real birth name) wanted to be a "Jones Boy" with a unique first name in 1966 at WTRX, so he chose "Dow Jones". He had used other stage names, but he stated that that was the only one he really liked, in his interviews and autobiography.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic