Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

An Automotive Question

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

An Automotive Question

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:14 pm

Our residential street isn't far from one of the busier roads. Close enough that we can hear the traffic from the other road.

One thing I've been noticing a lot lately is that some cars backfire continuously all along the length of the road. Is there something wrong with those vehicles, or do the drivers intentionally do something to make them backfire?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Re: An Automotive Question

Post by km1125 » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:24 pm

Pretty hard to actually make a car backfire unless the engine is tuned pretty badly. Are you sure they're not just running over something on the roadway that's making a similar sound?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:32 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:24 pm
Pretty hard to actually make a car backfire unless the engine is tuned pretty badly. Are you sure they're not just running over something on the roadway that's making a similar sound?
No. It's backfiring. You hear them rev their engines at the light and take off. It sounds like when they let off on the accelerator they start backfiring. Then they accelerate and let off again with more backfiring. It isn't every car just some. Sounds like small shitbox cars like Hondas or Hyundais. The kind the young guys drive with a muffler about the size of a coffee can.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:51 pm

Ricers, smaller cars mistuned deliberately to make that sound. Think of 50's hot rods for today. Been like this for over a decade.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:54 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:51 pm
Ricers, smaller cars mistuned deliberately to make that sound. Think of 50's hot rods for today. Been like this for over a decade.
Does it enhance the performance of the car, or do they just think it sound cool?
It doesn't.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 pm

It's on purpose. They tune them to run rich which gets the desires "backfire" effect.

Witnessed quite the spectacle on 7th Ave in Times Square one Saturday night when it was an unofficial ear-splitting fake backfire competition.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:01 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 pm
It's on purpose. They tune them to run rich which gets the desires "backfire" effect.

Witnessed quite the spectacle on 7th Ave in Times Square one Saturday night when it was an unofficial ear-splitting fake backfire competition.
How many good guys drew their guns when they heard it?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:14 am

Ah, those. We call them fart cans.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:20 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:01 am
Robert Faygo wrote:

Good guys don't draw guns, they run.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:26 am

Robert Faygo wrote:

I see a lot of Chargers and Challengers.. cars I’m convinced were built to be driven by thugs who may or may not own them and have plates on them… like that. Of course with a sound like that they immediately identify the penis size of the driver.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:52 am

My '06 GTO with the LS2 had the Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) and with my aftermarket race exhaust, every time I'd press the clutch in, DFCO would kick in, causing pops and crackles, kinda resembling back-firing. Did get a bit annoying, especially late nights when driving through my neighborhood. That exhaust was amazing, I loved always setting off my coworkers' car alarms in the parking garage! 8)
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:05 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:01 am
Not a one. Definitely had a business as usual feel to it. Loud (and probably annoying to many) for sure, but harmless if you plugged your ears.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:48 am

Douche bags cruise down Woodward Ave. in Oakland County all spring and summer long, usually in the evening on Fridays and Saturdays, with cars making obnoxiously loud sounds from the exhaust. It is definitely on purpose.

It hasn't been as noisy the past few weeks, so perhaps the police are patrolling & ticketing more actively.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:26 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:48 am
Douche bags cruise down Woodward Ave. in Oakland County all spring and summer long, usually in the evening on Fridays and Saturdays, with cars making obnoxiously loud sounds from the exhaust. It is definitely on purpose.

It hasn't been as noisy the past few weeks, so perhaps the police are patrolling & ticketing more actively.
I have noted that this isn't a problem between Quarton and Square Lake.
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:28 am

teetoppz28 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:52 am
My '06 GTO with the LS2 had the Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off (DFCO) and with my aftermarket race exhaust, every time I'd press the clutch in, DFCO would kick in, causing pops and crackles, kinda resembling back-firing. Did get a bit annoying, especially late nights when driving through my neighborhood. That exhaust was amazing, I loved always setting off my coworkers' car alarms in the parking garage! 8)
If it was cut off the fuel, not sure why it would crack or pop.

No fuel, no pop.

Are you sure it wasn't spark cutoff?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic