Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ordering Online

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Ordering Online

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:22 pm

I never shop online.

I could never understand why anyone would order something online to pick up at the store. If they're going to the store anyway, why not just go there and buy it?

Today I was in need of a micro SD card. I don't normally shop ay Walmart, but it's the nearest store to our house. I drive by it to get to any other store. So I rode my bike to Walmart.

Looked around for the SD cards. They're usually located along with the thumb drives etc. I couldn't find those either. I asked the guy where they were. He said they have them all put away. Too many were being stolen.

I asked him if he could go get one for me. He said no. "You have to order online then you can pick it up here later today."

Tomorrow I'll drive my car about 8 miles to Best Buy and see if they will sell me one.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

tigerwings

Re: Ordering Online

Post by tigerwings » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:41 pm

That's dumb of Walmart.

I order online and pick up at store sometimes to make sure they have the item, and in some cases there are discounts online. I did that with Advance Auto on Monday. They always has some promo code.

Prices at Walmart are usually cheaper online. My last oil change, the oil was 15.56 online. Was 23.96 in store, and they would honor and online price. So I ordered 2 and a box of cereal and had it delivered for free.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

― Seneca

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:04 pm

I don't normally shop at Staples but, after Walmart, they're the next closest store to here. I went in there today and they had no objection to selling to someone from the working class.

They keep each one locked securely inside a large plastic box that no one could slip into their pocket or carry out inconspicuously. I resent the insinuation that I'm a thief, but the clerk unlocks it and removes it from the box at the checkout.

32 GB for $14.95. A little expensive and a lot more storage capacity than I need. But maybe it will turn out to be the last one I ever need to buy.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:38 pm

tigerwings wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:41 pm
That's dumb of Walmart.

I order online and pick up at store sometimes to make sure they have the item, and in some cases there are discounts online. I did that with Advance Auto on Monday. They always has some promo code.

Prices at Walmart are usually cheaper online. My last oil change, the oil was 15.56 online. Was 23.96 in store, and they would honor and online price. So I ordered 2 and a box of cereal and had it delivered for free.
I concur. That is pretty silly. What if you didn't have a credit card, and only had cash?

I would have told clerk: i don't do online and want to pay with cash.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:59 pm

I couldn't commit to any kind of payment. I didn't even know what he had available or what was the price

He expected me to ride back home on my bike, order online, then return to the store in my car and park in one of the designated pickup spaces. Then you're supposed to send a text message that you're there.

How can you text without a mobile device?

So I wonder, if I had a mobile device, could I have gone online and ordered it while I was there asking him about it? Would he have fetched it for me then? Or would he have made me come back for it later?

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:24 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:38 pm

I concur. That is pretty silly. What if you didn't have a credit card, and only had cash?

I would have told clerk: i don't do online and want to pay with cash.
Although I agree with your point, and understand the concept of "Legal Tender", I have noted an increasing prevalence of "card only" sellers.

Typically it's food in person, but I've seen several in the past year or so. A chain of (heavenly) shave ice purveyors on Maui is doing it, as are a couple of food vendors I'm seeing up in the fudgie-land of Michigan.

No cash accepted. Period.

I don't know how they are getting away with it, but they are.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:41 am

There is a McD in Windsor, just off the Ambassador Bridge that won't accept Canadian currency. Only $US,

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:54 pm

Do they adjust for exchange rates?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:01 pm

The menu prices are in $C but they demand payment in $US. They would pay exchange but, like most businesses in Canada, they wouldn't pay the proper rate, Paying for a $10 meal with a US $10 bill should get you back more than $2 in change. They probably wouldn't giveback any more than $1.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:49 pm

Round down to nearest dollar. Cleaver.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic