Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hampton Inn

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Matt

Re: Hampton Inn

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:12 pm

I'm currently staying at a Hilton that unfortunately has a bedside clock. Luckily, it is very dim AND has a place to plug my phone in. I'd ask at the front desk if it is in process of being removed, but Hilton Honors doesn't require me to go to the front desk.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:16 pm

Bougie mother fucker.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:14 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:12 pm
I'm currently staying at a Hilton that unfortunately has a bedside clock. Luckily, it is very dim AND has a place to plug my phone in. I'd ask at the front desk if it is in process of being removed, but Hilton Honors doesn't require me to go to the front desk.
Just set it in the hall outside your room.

Is that one of those nice Hilton clocks? Cube shaped with displays on three of the sides?

There's a store near our place in Florida called Hotel Liquidations. They sell off furniture, lamps, TVs and other fixtures from hotel rooms.. I want to go there when we get back. If Hilton is getting rid of them there will probably be a ton of them there.

If I can get one of those it will become part of my travel kit.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:01 pm

Matt wrote:
Isn't the keyless entry awesome? I always get the perfect room on the top floor too...
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:06 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:01 pm

Isn't the keyless entry awesome? I always get the perfect room on the top floor too...
I prefer the ground floor. It can be a little awkward trying to take a grandfather clock up in the elevator.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:25 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:01 pm
Matt wrote:
I'm top floor corner.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:01 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:14 pm
Matt wrote:
Just set it in the hall outside your room.

Is that one of those nice Hilton clocks? Cube shaped with displays on three of the sides?

There's a store near our place in Florida called Hotel Liquidations. They sell off furniture, lamps, TVs and other fixtures from hotel rooms.. I want to go there when we get back. If Hilton is getting rid of them there will probably be a ton of them there.

If I can get one of those it will become part of my travel kit.
It is cubed shape but fortunately the unwanted light is only one side.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:03 pm

Matt wrote:
I'm not a member but I don't have to go to the desk either. They just slide my invoice under the door in the morning.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:03 pm
Matt wrote:
I'm not a member but I don't have to go to the desk either. They just slide my invoice under the door in the morning.
I check in on my phone which is the key. I only go to the front desk if I want to.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:43 pm

So, this Hilton Horrors is an exclusive club. Working class aren't welcome. Only middle class cell phone users.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:04 pm

Just checked into a Marriott property today and instead of a worthless bedside clock, they have a bedside wireless charger!

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:00 am

We usually get a place off airbnb or vrbo. I'm actually at one right now up in Petoskey. My wife wanted to see the tunnel of trees. We came too early.

I generally prefer getting an airbnb or vrbo because we have dogs and it makes things easier. The problem is the beds. Nothing like going to bed with sore knees and waking up with a sore back.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:12 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:00 am
We usually get a place off airbnb or vrbo. I'm actually at one right now up in Petoskey. My wife wanted to see the tunnel of trees. We came too early.

I generally prefer getting an airbnb or vrbo because we have dogs and it makes things easier. The problem is the beds. Nothing like going to bed with sore knees and waking up with a sore back.
We stayed at an Airbnb a couple weeks ago for 4 days.
Me and the ol' lady lay down the first night and roll right into each other. Terrible night.

Got up the next morning, looked underneath and the center support was bent. We tried to bend it back in place and it broke off. So I go down the road with the broke off piece in my hand. A neighbor had a scrap 4x4. He gets out a saw and cuts it to the same length as the broke off piece. Propped that up under the center of the bed, and slept a whole lot better the next 3 nights.

Called the owner of the place the morning we were leaving and told her. She got a little snippy saying we should of called the first morning and she would of sent someone to look at it. Kinda glad we didn't 'cuz that meant we would of had to hang around the house and wait on her handyman, instead of spending the day out running around.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:30 am

Round Six wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:12 am

Called the owner of the place the morning we were leaving and told her. She got a little snippy saying we should of called the first morning and she would of sent someone to look at it. Kinda glad we didn't 'cuz that meant we would of had to hang around the house and wait on her handyman, instead of spending the day out running around.
I own a few short term rental properties, and I see both sides of this.

The problem was indeed serious; a good night's sleep is important. But the damage may have just occurred, and what you described is not immediately obvious to the cleaning staff unless they climbed into the bed. You provided a pretty reasonable solution to the problem, and you did well reporting same. You seem like a capable guy, and your fix solved the problem and removed a great deal of immediacy from rectifying it.

However, the vast majority of renters are not that capable, and their 'fixes' often cause more problems then they solve.

Also, likely invisible to you as a renter is the matter of renter feedback. Most renters 'forced' (their own decision) to find a solution on their own like you did end up writing up feedback on the incident that makes it sound like the renter was forced to fix his own miserable bunk in the barracks of Auschwitz, along with including an attendant over-zealously-low rating. Renting owners live and die on those ratings....the major renting aggregators like AirBnB and VRBO bury your listing so deep it's essentially invisible with a couple of 'bad' ratings.

I would prefer to be called, and I would ensure I advised the renter that a responsible and trusted party would arrive and fix the problem with no need to stay to tend them. If you were willing to do you own fix, I would try and evaluate your capability to do so, and then reward you with a dinner for you and your companion on me (I do this all the time). If you wished to be present for security reasons, I would let you pick the time and date and meet it. Then I would call you back after the repair and ensure you were happy. With those measures, there is no justification for a nasty write up by the renter. Shit happens.

She shouldn't have been snippy, especially given your efforts, but this is a 'walk a mile in the other guy's shoes' situation from both her and your perspectives.
The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:19 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:00 am
The problem is the beds. Nothing like going to bed with sore knees and waking up with a sore back.
Praying your Lincoln is going to start? :lol
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic