I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
kager
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by kager » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 am
I am not fond of old people who have no business at self check out or blocking all the bins in the produce section. And I will state I read zero defense for soccer mom's. I also never see these types in the woods nor when I am sailing.

Look, I am happy with the population which enjoys healthy food and beer.

Amtrak stops in Grand Rapids and we have no freeways.
Image


"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am
Location: Moderator of Reason

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:00 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am
but the freedom of not having old people and soccer mom's is priceless.
Not fond of old people hey? Have you thought about how and at what age you will take yourself out if necessary to not be old? I hope you aren't one of those selfish SOB's that screws up other peoples day by jumping off a freeway overpass or some such thing. I guess you can't step in front of an Amtrak up there.
Craig,

After thinking about this, I haven't done anything to disrupt or impact old people. I support taxes that pay for the Council on Aging and Social Security, I help my parents and frail neighbors when they ask. I just don't choose to be around them, so I shop at places they don't. If that offends you, well, I understand that old people (and soccer mom's) can get offended easily. If what I am observing is true, why would you be upset?


(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1811
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by craig11152 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Who says I'm upset? I'm just asked when and how your going to off yourself in case you need to avoid getting old....since you don't like being around old people. Its a curiosity thing. If you die before you collect social security that helps the deficit.
You like Lucky's because you minimize the chances of seeing mothers with young children or old people. Should I assume you think the same about black people? Kind of generally "support them" but don't really want to be around them? So you live in a town that 94% white and 0.7% black?



User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am
Location: Moderator of Reason

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:53 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm
Who says I'm upset? I'm just asked when and how your going to off yourself in case you need to avoid getting old....since you don't like being around old people. Its a curiosity thing. If you die before you collect social security that helps the deficit.
You like Lucky's because you minimize the chances of seeing mothers with young children or old people. Should I assume you think the same about black people? Kind of generally "support them" but don't really want to be around them? So you live in a town that 94% white and 0.7% black?
It's not a stretch to make a leap like this. I'm a white male with an education. Statistically, your assumption would be a fair one. I choose to live in this community because of its access to public land, skiing and water. I am a 5th Generation Michigander, so this state seemed like a good place when I was conducting my search. After living in Detroit, Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor, I made a decision I don't really like living in cities. I mostly loathe suburbs.

Ethnicity never really played a part in my decision, but if I look at my tendencies and interests, they do not intersect with African Americans in a stereotypical way. Any evidence to the contrary would be antidotal to try to demonstrate that I am not biased against people of color.

About the only way I can point to I lack of bias against people of color are the positions I've been posting for the past 11 years here and the individuals I have voted for. I have taken other supportive actions, but I don't wish to discuss them on this board.


(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

NS8401
Posts: 8590
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by NS8401 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:07 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 am
craig11152 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am
but the freedom of not having old people and soccer mom's is priceless.
Not fond of old people hey? Have you thought about how and at what age you will take yourself out if necessary to not be old? I hope you aren't one of those selfish SOB's that screws up other peoples day by jumping off a freeway overpass or some such thing. I guess you can't step in front of an Amtrak up there.
I am not fond of old people who have no business at self check out or blocking all the bins in the produce section. And I will state I read zero defense for soccer mom's. I also never see these types in the woods nor when I am sailing.

Look, I am happy with the population which enjoys healthy food and beer.

Amtrak stops in Grand Rapids and we have no freeways.
131 isn’t exactly a dirt road...



Justice!
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 am

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Justice! » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm always amused by the people who can't grasp the concept of the self-checkout. It's really not that difficult. Supermarket cashier is a normal job for somebody just out of high school, and anyone with a functioning brain should be able to figure it out. I assume it's the produce that is getting people tripped up (it's weighed, not scanned), but virtually all of the produce I've seen have the stickers on them with the PLU code. You just type the number in and it goes.

If I have just a few items, I'll do self check-out every time. If I'm getting a week's worth of groceries, it's 50-50. But it's not uncommon for me to see people getting an item or two (or at least less than 10) and going through one of the regular lanes. I had a lady behind me do that other week. I thought about letting her go ahead of me, but then I thought if she isn't intelligent enough to figure out the self-checkouts, she is going to wait. And she did.



User avatar
Vic Doucette
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:06 am
Location: Metro Detroit
Contact:

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Vic Doucette » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm

Justice! wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm
I'm always amused by the people who can't grasp the concept of the self-checkout. It's really not that difficult. Supermarket cashier is a normal job for somebody just out of high school, and anyone with a functioning brain should be able to figure it out. I assume it's the produce that is getting people tripped up (it's weighed, not scanned), but virtually all of the produce I've seen have the stickers on them with the PLU code. You just type the number in and it goes.

If I have just a few items, I'll do self check-out every time. If I'm getting a week's worth of groceries, it's 50-50. But it's not uncommon for me to see people getting an item or two (or at least less than 10) and going through one of the regular lanes. I had a lady behind me do that other week. I thought about letting her go ahead of me, but then I thought if she isn't intelligent enough to figure out the self-checkouts, she is going to wait. And she did.
Self-checkout terminals cost people jobs. I will never use one.


Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3854
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm
Self-checkout terminals cost people jobs. I will never use one.

Amen. I was in Home Depot one day and there was a long lineup for the only checkout that was open

The woman at the self checkout said to me "I can help you over here." I ignored her and stayed in the line. She came over to me and said "Come over to the self checkout. I'll show you how". I told her no, I'd just wait here. She said "Come on, it's easy" and she started to pull my cart over. I said to her"I guess you weren't listening. I want to wait for this one." She got a confused look on her face and then made her pitch to the next person in the line.



Graham Wellington
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 am

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm
Justice! wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm
I'm always amused by the people who can't grasp the concept of the self-checkout. It's really not that difficult. Supermarket cashier is a normal job for somebody just out of high school, and anyone with a functioning brain should be able to figure it out. I assume it's the produce that is getting people tripped up (it's weighed, not scanned), but virtually all of the produce I've seen have the stickers on them with the PLU code. You just type the number in and it goes.

If I have just a few items, I'll do self check-out every time. If I'm getting a week's worth of groceries, it's 50-50. But it's not uncommon for me to see people getting an item or two (or at least less than 10) and going through one of the regular lanes. I had a lady behind me do that other week. I thought about letting her go ahead of me, but then I thought if she isn't intelligent enough to figure out the self-checkouts, she is going to wait. And she did.
Self-checkout terminals cost people jobs. I will never use one.

So does the internet, but yet here you are.



Graham Wellington
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 am

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm
Self-checkout terminals cost people jobs. I will never use one.

Amen. I was in Home Depot one day and there was a long lineup for the only checkout that was open

The woman at the self checkout said to me "I can help you over here." I ignored her and stayed in the line. She came over to me and said "Come over to the self checkout. I'll show you how". I told her no, I'd just wait here. She said "Come on, it's easy" and she started to pull my cart over. I said to her"I guess you weren't listening. I want to wait for this one." She got a confused look on her face and then made her pitch to the next person in the line.
But it didn't bother you to be shopping at Home Depot, a corporation that has driven many mom and pop shops out of business.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3854
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:20 pm


But it didn't bother you to be shopping at Home Depot, a corporation that has driven many mom and pop shops out of business.

I does bother me. I shop the mom and pop hardware store down the street as much as possible. Their prices are often better and the quality is always better.

Home Depot is my last resort, after I've tried Home Hardware and Canadian Tire.



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 1103
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

SpartanAM wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:54 pm
Don't forget about Downtown Okemos.

The ACE Hardware is closed

The Lady's Lingerie store is closed

The Tuba Museum/Traveler's bar is closed

At last check the Independent bank is still open.
Not to mention the Traveler's Club, a locally-owned restaurant/pub at the corner of Hamilton and Okemos Roads. The property the building occupied was purchased by Douglas J Salon with the intent of building a retail complex to house a new salon and rent space to other businesses. The owners of the club were forced to vacate the property when their lease expired and chose not to relocate. I was only there one time, and it was many years ago, but I remember it had a unique community (non-franchise) atmosphere. It was also a place where local musicians performed in a coffee-house setting.

Ironically Douglas J abandoned their plans to build on the property and put it up for sale. Last time I passed by the old Traveler's Club building was still sitting there in sad disrepair among knee-high weeds. Sad that a local gathering place closed up shop for naught.


YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1811
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by craig11152 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm
Justice! wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm
I'm always amused by the people who can't grasp the concept of the self-checkout. It's really not that difficult. Supermarket cashier is a normal job for somebody just out of high school, and anyone with a functioning brain should be able to figure it out. I assume it's the produce that is getting people tripped up (it's weighed, not scanned), but virtually all of the produce I've seen have the stickers on them with the PLU code. You just type the number in and it goes.

If I have just a few items, I'll do self check-out every time. If I'm getting a week's worth of groceries, it's 50-50. But it's not uncommon for me to see people getting an item or two (or at least less than 10) and going through one of the regular lanes. I had a lady behind me do that other week. I thought about letting her go ahead of me, but then I thought if she isn't intelligent enough to figure out the self-checkouts, she is going to wait. And she did.
Self-checkout terminals cost people jobs. I will never use one.

So does the internet, but yet here you are.
Fair point except that taking a "social justice stand" doesn't have to be all or nothing.



NS8401
Posts: 8590
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by NS8401 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:12 am
Graham Wellington wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:18 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm
Justice! wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm
I'm always amused by the people who can't grasp the concept of the self-checkout. It's really not that difficult. Supermarket cashier is a normal job for somebody just out of high school, and anyone with a functioning brain should be able to figure it out. I assume it's the produce that is getting people tripped up (it's weighed, not scanned), but virtually all of the produce I've seen have the stickers on them with the PLU code. You just type the number in and it goes.

If I have just a few items, I'll do self check-out every time. If I'm getting a week's worth of groceries, it's 50-50. But it's not uncommon for me to see people getting an item or two (or at least less than 10) and going through one of the regular lanes. I had a lady behind me do that other week. I thought about letting her go ahead of me, but then I thought if she isn't intelligent enough to figure out the self-checkouts, she is going to wait. And she did.
Self-checkout terminals cost people jobs. I will never use one.

So does the internet, but yet here you are.
Fair point except that taking a "social justice stand" doesn't have to be all or nothing.
Refusing to use self checkouts is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.:.



In The Bleachers
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 am
Refusing to use self checkouts is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.:.
Exactly. And the funny thing is, there is always a store employee working at the self-serve. Turkeytop said so himself. So theoretically, refusing to use the self serve has the potential to CUT a job.


Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3854
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Exactly. And the funny thing is, there is always a store employee working at the self-serve. Turkeytop said so himself. So theoretically, refusing to use the self serve has the potential to CUT a job.
Wrong. The person is there to train you how to do their job. Once they get everyone trained, they won't be needed anymore. I bet you don't ask for assistance at the self checkout.

I asked a woman at one of the stores, how many jobs had been eliminated by self checkout. She told me that no one had lost their job, but they were getting a lot less hours.

At McD, one day, a woman was trying to herd us all to the self ordering touch screen. I said to her, "That's just to eliminate jobs." She said "Oh no. We've hired 20 new people since we got these." I said, "that's just to replace the twenty people who quit, when you cut their hours." There was a smattering of applause. She didn't deny it. She just stormed away back into the kitchen.



NS8401
Posts: 8590
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by NS8401 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm
In The Bleachers wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Exactly. And the funny thing is, there is always a store employee working at the self-serve. Turkeytop said so himself. So theoretically, refusing to use the self serve has the potential to CUT a job.
Wrong. The person is there to train you how to do their job. Once they get everyone trained, they won't be needed anymore. I bet you don't ask for assistance at the self checkout.

I asked a woman at one of the stores, how many jobs had been eliminated by self checkout. She told me that no one had lost their job, but they were getting a lot less hours.

At McD, one day, a woman was trying to herd us all to the self ordering touch screen. I said to her, "That's just to eliminate jobs." She said "Oh no. We've hired 20 new people since we got these." I said, "that's just to replace the twenty people who quit, when you cut their hours." There was a smattering of applause. She didn't deny it. She just stormed away back into the kitchen.
Must be hard to train the folks... it’s been 20 years now...



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 3854
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:46 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Must be hard to train the folks... it’s been 20 years now...

It hasn't been 20 years in Canada. It started about 10 years ago, but it's only been about the past 5 years that they've really started pushing it. It looks to me like all the people who wanted to be trained have been trained. Anyone I see using it is doing it unaided. The trainers are just there to badger and harass those of us who don't want the training.

Our local Home Depot, at most times, has only self checkout available except for the contractor checkout. You want a carpenter pencil, you have to line up behind they guys with loads if drywall or plywood.

Our local Home Depot in Florida has only one self checkout which I never see anyone using. The rest of their checkouts are operated by real people.

The reason that self checkout is being pushed so aggressively in Ontario is because the minimum wage has been raised to $14/hr and is going up next year to $15/hr. They'd rather have the customers do the work for nothing.



User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am
Location: Moderator of Reason

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:51 pm

I remember when radio was fun. Now they expect blood from you. I saved some money, quit radio and learned a new industry. I now make more than I did in radio, even more than most GM's. It was a hard few years.

Steel work is more efficient and requires more skill, but it's safer and pays well.

Retail has never been a high dollar, high skill occupation. It's not the self checkout that is the threat, it's online. Once autonomous vehicles get going, I will likely never step foot in a big box again. As it is, we use Shipt half the time, and those kids are making about $17 an hour, but they will be replaced by self driving cars.

Things change, you can too


(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

In The Bleachers
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 am
Location: Nankin Township

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm
At McD, one day, a woman was trying to herd us all to the self ordering touch screen. I said to her, "That's just to eliminate jobs." She said "Oh no. We've hired 20 new people since we got these." I said, "that's just to replace the twenty people who quit, when you cut their hours." There was a smattering of applause. She didn't deny it. She just stormed away back into the kitchen.
I agree with you that the McD's self serve should be avoided. I always pass that up.
It takes at least 3 times as long to order, as it does to just walk up to the counter. And then after you finally get it all ordered, you have to go to the counter and pay for it anyway.
You can order at the counter, get your food, and have half your fries ate in the time it takes to go thru the self serve process.


Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic