I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Justice!

Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by Justice! » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:19 pm

The town in which I work. Business is starting to drop drastically at the company where I work. Thankfully it's still open. I can't say the same for:

Toys R Us - gone
Leo's - gone
Gilbert & Blake's - gone
Penn Station Subs - gone
Little Caesar's - gone
Mongolian Barbecue - gone
Tim Horton's - gone
Younkers - closing. That's two anchor stores in the Meridian Mall.

Most within the last few months.

I also love the fact you can drive through at 7 a.m. and Redi-Care isn't open yet, but Sherwin Williams is. You have an illness or injury? You are going to wait. But if you desire paint, they got you covered.

No idea what's going on at the Best Buy/Office Max Trio/Old Little Caesar's area. I was in Office Max recently to buy something and inquired, and he said they were moving in to where Best Buy is now. Not sure if that meant they're switching places or Best Buy is going out? That old Little Caesar's area has been vacant for seemingly forever.

I'd also love to know how the hell that Wendy's stays in business. Slowest drive-thru in Ingham County, hands down, EVERY TIME!

Am I missing anything?

906XJ

Re: Okemos is quickly becoming a ghost town

Post by 906XJ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Never heard of it, so I looked it up.

Apparently a small farming community that has since been swallowed up as a Lansing suburb. The largest employer is a shopping mall.

Let me translate that for you...

It's a shithole with nothing to offer. The people that live there don't work there. It can only support so many fast food joints.

Justice!

Post by Justice! » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:00 pm

yes, that about sums it up.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm

This kind of thing is happening all over. Malls are yesterday's retail model. Many malls are "reimagining" their role. Stores don't want to renew their leases because they don't know what the future holds. Some are converting to outdoor common areas. In Lansing, I guess it's the one on Lake Lansing Road that is the wave of the future. Had to look it up-Eastwood Towne Center. Stay off grassy areas or Clint will be by to tell you to get off his lawn.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm

In Traverse City we have a thriving downtown. No chains (except Talbot's). I haven't been to the mall or a chain restaurant in years here. They still exist I am told.

Okemos is what a good community planner would call short sided. Millennials will return to the suburbs when they have kids, but they will need 1/3 the retail and much smaller restaurants.

Does anyone else have Lucky's? Modern grocery store that touts over half their clients are men.

Where else can you shop while drinking a pint?

https://www.luckysmarket.com/beer-wine-spirits/

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

SpartanAM

Post by SpartanAM » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Don't forget about Downtown Okemos.

The ACE Hardware is closed

The Lady's Lingerie store is closed

The Tuba Museum/Traveler's bar is closed

At last check the Independent bank is still open.

She's got the tower... She's got the power...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Whole Foods. I think they beat Lucky's to the punch by 3-4 years here in Ann Arbor.

Milk

Post by Milk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm

TC Talks wrote:
In Traverse City we have a thriving downtown. No chains (except Talbot's). I haven't been to the mall or a chain restaurant in years here. They still exist I am told.

Okemos is what a good community planner would call short sided. Millennials will return to the suburbs when they have kids, but they will need 1/3 the retail and much smaller restaurants.

Does anyone else have Lucky's? Modern grocery store that touts over half their clients are men.

https://www.luckysmarket.com/beer-wine-spirits/
Downtown TC has a Chico's, which is in many malls.

I was in Grand Traverse Mall recently, and it's sad looking with a glut of vacancies. I think there's only two stores in the whole Target wing, including a Chinese message parlor.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:57 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Whole Foods. I think they beat Lucky's to the punch by 3-4 years here in Ann Arbor.
Lucky's is new to the Midwest. They started in Boulder years ago when Colorado was the number two craft beer state in the nation. It really doesn't matter who started the idea, it is an excellent idea.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Milk wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 pm
Downtown TC has a Chico's, which is in many malls.

I was in Grand Traverse Mall recently, and it's sad looking with a glut of vacancies. I think there's only two stores in the whole Target wing, including a Chinese message parlor.
I had no idea Chicos was a chain. Most people in Traverse City don't support National stores. Meijer does well, Lucky's does well, Costco is kicking butt, but we have no Kmart, Walmart decided not to build a Supercenter, and it's a matter of time before Sam's Club goes away.

I hear we do quite well for Amazon.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:57 pm
craig11152 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Lucky's is new to the Midwest. They started in Boulder years ago when Colorado was the number two craft beer state in the nation. It really doesn't matter who started the idea, it is an excellent idea.
Yes if you’re looking to sell things to the inebriated who’ll buy more while inebriated...

Justice!

Post by Justice! » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:48 am

That tuba museum/restaurant was a strange combination. I recall it got mostly bad reviews. I'm not surprised it shut down. That was a while ago. That music store that was nearby also closed.

the Okemos Wal-Mart was supposed to become a supercenter, but they couldn't get it approved (zoning, I think). Had it happened, I'm thinking it would have knocked out Kroger. The Okemos Kroger is a bit of an anomaly. The prices are high, but it has a pretty good location. And to that extent, Culver's by Wal-Mart still does insane business because of its location. it's the only restaurant in that immediate area, so it gets all the traffic from that store.

KC8YQQ

Post by KC8YQQ » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:46 am

My first job was cleanup boy at Dunkin' Donuts (long gone). When we ran out of something, we would walk over to Schmitt's (spelling?) grocery (long gone). Others that have left that come to mind:

K-Mart (where Best Buy is now)
Frank's Nursery
Boston Market

Okemos has been on a decline since the 80's.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:09 am
TC Talks wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
Yes if you’re looking to sell things to the inebriated who’ll buy more while inebriated...
We have concluded two things: relatively unhealthy National Consumer Brands cannot be found at Lucky's. It has real food. That, matched with the beer, keeps old people and the mom with toodlers/young kid crowd away. You don't get drunk drinking one beer, but the freedom of not having old people and soccer mom's is priceless.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am

TC Talks wrote:
craig11152 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
You are correct it doesn't matter who started the idea but you asked where else you could do it and I told you.
The Lucky's in Ann Arbor opened in Feb of 2015.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am
but the freedom of not having old people and soccer mom's is priceless.
Not fond of old people hey? Have you thought about how and at what age you will take yourself out if necessary to not be old? I hope you aren't one of those selfish SOB's that screws up other peoples day by jumping off a freeway overpass or some such thing. I guess you can't step in front of an Amtrak up there.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 am

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am
TC Talks wrote:
Not fond of old people hey? Have you thought about how and at what age you will take yourself out if necessary to not be old? I hope you aren't one of those selfish SOB's that screws up other peoples day by jumping off a freeway overpass or some such thing. I guess you can't step in front of an Amtrak up there.
Don’t do the train thing... some of those guys never come back to work after somebody jumps in front of them like that...

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 am

Okemos - Meridian Township - is a prime example of what happens when a government is run by egomaniacs who think their constituents work for them. While some of the closings are related to bankruptcies at the national level, you are starting to see companies realize that it isn't worth dealing with the bullshit of Meridian Township government. The roads in the township are terrible, there are no streetlights (because they want to pretend they are a rural township), moronic regulations, and sky high taxes. A third of the residents are snobs, another third are batshit crazy, and the final third are both. So yeah, it's not hard to see why things are falling apart.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

Graham Wellington wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 am
Okemos - Meridian Township - is a prime example of what happens when a government is run by egomaniacs who think their constituents work for them. While some of the closings are related to bankruptcies at the national level, you are starting to see companies realize that it isn't worth dealing with the bullshit of Meridian Township government. The roads in the township are terrible, there are no streetlights (because they want to pretend they are a rural township), moronic regulations, and sky high taxes. A third of the residents are snobs, another third are batshit crazy, and the final third are both. So yeah, it's not hard to see why things are falling apart.
90% of those appeared to be bankruptcy or relocation... I can’t imagine the relocated stores went very far...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 am

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am
TC Talks wrote:
I am not fond of old people who have no business at self check out or blocking all the bins in the produce section. And I will state I read zero defense for soccer mom's. I also never see these types in the woods nor when I am sailing.

Look, I am happy with the population which enjoys healthy food and beer.

Amtrak stops in Grand Rapids and we have no freeways.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic