Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What’s happened to WJW-TV??

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Inundated

Re: What’s happened to WJW-TV??

Post by Inundated » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:37 pm

Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Inundated wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 am
Oh, I am sure they will update sets and graphics at some point. Probably after the Nexstar/whoever ends up with them dust settles. (Does Nexstar have a chain wide graphics style?)

But there's no hurry. WJW could put their news team on a barren set with hand-written graphics and still be #1.
Yes they do, of course all the other stations owned by Nexstar seem to be getting updates to there new set and their graphics package, except for WDTN. What fortunately I’m not 100% sure how to get this link to go directly to the page but if you copy and paste you’ll be able to see it Nexstar media graphics package. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... p4emmQQfLv
Worked great, thanks for the link!

It'll look odd to see them use that at Dick Goddard Way, considering that it doesn't look like Nexstar will spin off any more stations before the close.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 am

Great! I was wondering if this would work. Unfortunately not, If I had my way Nexstar would sell WDTN/WBDT to TEGNA.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 pm

WJW has been the solid leader in mornings for well over two decades. They took the lead at 10pm from WUAB in 1995 and have never looked back.

Considering the limitations of WJW’s art department, they’ve done a good job with refreshing the graphics in 2015. It’s not perfect but is miles away better than some other Tribune Fox stations (look at WGHP’s graphics and see what I mean, and WGHP leads the pack in Greensboro!) ... for some reason, Tribune never implemented their standardized graphics designed for some of their legacy Fox stations onto all of their Fox affiliates.

They’re also hand-strung in a way with that set Fox built for them 12 years ago. Most of the O&Os and former O&Os have given it up, but with the flux in ownership over the past two years, there’s obviously no line item to construct a replacement set.

Other issues with WJW concern me, like the lack of a strong program inventory and rerunning the 10pm news at 1am and 3am. Overkill imo. Otherwise, they are as stable as they come.

(The WFXT situation was more a case of management being transferred by Cox to that station from KTVU when Cox and Fox traded the two stations, and the former KTVU management tried to implement their style onto WFXT. It didn’t work at all.)

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Toledo Radio Died wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 am
Inundated wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 am
Oh, I am sure they will update sets and graphics at some point. Probably after the Nexstar/whoever ends up with them dust settles. (Does Nexstar have a chain wide graphics style?)

But there's no hurry. WJW could put their news team on a barren set with hand-written graphics and still be #1.
Yes they do, of course all the other stations owned by Nexstar seem to be getting updates to there new set and their graphics package, except for WDTN. What fortunately I’m not 100% sure how to get this link to go directly to the page but if you copy and paste you’ll be able to see it Nexstar media graphics package. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... p4emmQQfLv
Nexstar has some very good graphics packages out there. The one designed for their CBS affiliates is as good as the network O&O look.

I would expect them to do a refresh of the 2012 package Tribune designed for their pre-LocalTV Fox affiliates and implement that across the board, even at WJW.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Yes they do, My favorite graphics package from Nexstar Media is WOOD, WIVB, WBRE and WISH. WJW and WDTN both definitely need a graphics update, sad to say WJW will get them first when they become owned by Nexstar.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Yes they do, My favorite graphics package from Nexstar Media is WOOD, WIVB, WBRE and WISH. WJW and WDTN both definitely need a graphics update, sad to say WJW will get them first when they become owned by Nexstar.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Considering the scuttlebutt that Fox wants to repurchase WJW once the merger with Nexstar goes through, you’ll be seeing an in-house graphics package. The likelihood they get anything from Nexstar is next to nil.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:45 pm

I haven’t really seen too many Nexstar owned FOX stations so I’m kind a curious to how that would turn out for WJW. Hopefully like those four stations I have listed above.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:50 am

Hell, even WJMN in Marquette/Escanaba has good looking graphics! (They have a tiny news staff, though.)

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:49 am

Had a chance to check WJMN out this morning, there using the same graphics package as WANE TV in Fort Wayne. Will say looks nice. Not sure why WPRI in Providence, RI (Nexstar owned CBS affiliate also) is not using these graphics yet?

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

New FOX 8 set, and graphics package, to debut 8-26

https://youtu.be/ohTlBvd0le0

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:46 pm

How does WJW -8 compare to Detroit's Channel 2 as they both were part of the kill and destroy legacy VHF stations to get FOX on the VHF band and kill CBS in the meantime?

Deleted User 143

Post by Deleted User 143 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 pm

AMFMTV wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

Looks like the same graphics as Tribune's other Fox stations. See also: WPMT/York, WXMI/Grand Rapids, WXIN/Indianapolis, KSWB/San Diego.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why Tribune's going to all this effort when it's going to be sold to Nexstar and then resold to Fox. Let the new ownership (whomever it ends up being) remake the station in their own image.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Radiofreewill wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 pm
AMFMTV wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

Looks like the same graphics as Tribune's other Fox stations. See also: WPMT/York, WXMI/Grand Rapids, WXIN/Indianapolis, KSWB/San Diego.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why Tribune's going to all this effort when it's going to be sold to Nexstar and then resold to Fox. Let the new ownership (whomever it ends up being) remake the station in their own image.
I know the Gotham typeface wasn’t in the 2012 package (why they didn’t implement it until now, I have no clue). But you have to give a lot of credit to WJW’s art department for getting it to work.

Based on past acquisitions, Nexstar is likely not going to scrap the Tribune graphics department when they take over. A lot of the current packages in use by Nexstar were designed by the former LIN and MediaGeneral hubs.

Fox centralizes their graphics hub in Tampa and everything is pushed out at their master control hub in Las Vegas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic