Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The End Of A Era

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

The End Of A Era

Post by Bryce » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:04 pm

L. Brooks Patterson has died.

I worked on both his AG and Governor campaigns. Got to know him pretty well. He was a class act.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Re: The End Of A Era

Post by TC Talks » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:06 pm

I have mixed feelings on Patterson. As a fiscal manager he was excellent but he failed to represent the entirety of Oakland County, opting to clash with Pontiac leadership to the detriment of the entire County.

He certainly stuck with it.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:24 pm

When did he run for Governor?

I must've been a young brat at the time. ;)

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:50 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:24 pm
When did he run for Governor?

I must've been a young brat at the time. ;)
IIRC. 1982. He lost the primary to Dick Headlee who went on to loose to Jim Blanchard.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Mr. Headlee of Headlee Amendment fame? I'll be darned.

1982 was probably not a good year to be a Republican running for statewide office. My guess is national politics largely affected the results of statewide races.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:40 pm

He was like a Tea party type, or john birchish type of candidate. He beat I believe, the sitting Lt. gov In The GOP primary along with patterson. After, I think 16 years of GOP rule plus a bad economy, being a republican wasn't the easiest that year. I am guessing Headlee was too conservative for most Michigan voters. now... I was born in 1980 so I am going off by what I was told and looking into some history online.

It's Wikipedia but here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Headlee

Come to think of it, I think the last sitting Governor in MI to be beaten was, Swanson(think that's the name) who served 1 term in the 60s.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:15 am

Like George Wallace - Patterson softened his fear - and tendency toward whites and avoidance of blacks (unless politically advantageous at times) when he was nearly killed.

Facing death and living life in a wheelchair opened his eyes to appreciate what equality of all human beings truly means. And to review his own thoughts and words and actions over his life - as a politician and leader - which contributed to the continued favoritism of whites over blacks. The root cause being fear of black Americans - which morphs into hatred. And the lumping together of an entire race - by thinking thoughts based on sweeping generalities - instead of “case by case” - or the individuality of each person’s heart.

Brooks became a champion of our no fault insurance coverage and life long unlimited money and care for men, women, and children - devastatingly injured. The kind of excellent life long care Michiganders recently threw away - to the delight of insurance companies.

But often only when one suffers - as Brooks did - can one finally appreciate what it’s like to live as a disadvantaged American. Disadvantaged by race, socioeconomic circumstances, the illness of addiction, mental illness, physical illness, and unforeseen tragedies.

Brooks had the advantage of white privilege. In the end he learned that all humans are weak and vulnerable - and equal.

God loves all of us the same. And is always hoping we will turn from fear and instead help each other with generous giving of ourselves - and what we have to share.

We are God’s servants. And that giving with love is how we serve.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:23 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:40 pm
He was like a Tea party type, or john birchish type of candidate. He beat I believe, the sitting Lt. gov In The GOP primary along with patterson. After, I think 16 years of GOP rule plus a bad economy, being a republican wasn't the easiest that year. I am guessing Headlee was too conservative for most Michigan voters. now... I was born in 1980 so I am going off by what I was told and looking into some history online.

It's Wikipedia but here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Headlee

Come to think of it, I think the last sitting Governor in MI to be beaten was, Swanson(think that's the name) who served 1 term in the 60s.
Jim Blanchard says "Hi".

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 am

Last I heard he resides in Pleasant Ridge. Had a good run as governor.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04lLLfmVihc

My bad, Blanchard in 90, albeit a close loss..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic