Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Why does the left view abortion as such a sacred right?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Why does the left view abortion as such a sacred right?

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Most people on the left have no problem with all kinds of government regulations on virtually every aspect of life, EXCEPT for abortion. These are the same people who tout things like "common sense gun control," but when it comes to abortion, many want literally no rules or regulations whatsoever. How about some "common sense abortion control" - what is wrong with that?

So what is it about abortion specifically that is so sacred? I genuinely don't get it.

Realist

Re: Why does the left view abortion as such a sacred right?

Post by Realist » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:53 pm

I genuinely don’t get why the Neo conservatives insist on butting into a woman’s decision on this regardless. It doesn’t matter if you are for or against - the government needs to keep their nose out of a woman’s right to choose on this subject.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for completely not answering my question. I asked why abortion is the left's sacred cow.

Again - as I pointed out, people on the left have no problem with the government getting their nose into everyone else's' business when it comes to literally any other topic. But abortion? An absolute right.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:48 pm
Most people on the left have no problem with all kinds of government regulations on virtually every aspect of life, EXCEPT for abortion. These are the same people who tout things like "common sense gun control," but when it comes to abortion, many want literally no rules or regulations whatsoever. How about some "common sense abortion control" - what is wrong with that?

So what is it about abortion specifically that is so sacred? I genuinely don't get it.

First off, I'm a leftist. Also, I'm personally opposed to abortion. I believe it's immoral. If the woman was a family member or someone else over whom I had some influence, I would try to dissuade her. But I don't think I have the right to impose my morality on anyone else.

In response to your question, hasn't your Supreme Court already decided that abortion is a right under your Constitution? Doesn't that make it just as sacred as the right to free speech, or the right to bear arms?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Two can play at this game -

Why are tax cuts for the rich AKA trickle down economics the rights sacred cow? It’s been proven over and over it does NOTHING to stimulate the economy

The abortion debate that the right is ramping up right now is being being played out just before the 2020 election to divert attention from tRump’s misdeeds

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:49 pm

bmw, Let me add some fuel to the fire. "women's right to choose". My big issue with the whole thing. In the majority of cases there was a man who was part of the process in an act agreed to by both parties. Pregnancy results from the act, oops! Life happens, ya know. So why isn't the man allowed a say since he was willingly part of what caused the pregnancy? And don't give me the bullshit answer it's her body. She was more than willing to give him that body so there should be consequences if baby happens. Maybe if this was the case there would be more thought given to jumping into bed for the hell of it. Fathers as second class starts before birth. It is shit and it shouldn't happen. She wanted him to have sex with her, so he should have a voice in whether or not the baby is born and kept or adopted out. The only thing he gets is a bill for support if she keeps it, even if he wanted no part of parenthood. Although I did have a friend, still do have him as a friend, who found himself in this situation, took it to court and got a judge to rule that he didn't have to pay support since he informed her he didn't want to be a father if she got pregnant.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:43 pm
In response to your question, hasn't your Supreme Court already decided that abortion is a right under your Constitution? Doesn't that make it just as sacred as the right to free speech, or the right to bear arms?
The right to free speech and the right to bear arms are explicitly spelled out as rights in the Constitution (the first 2 Amendments in fact) and even these rights have their limits. As soon as anyone suggests ANY limits on abortions whatsoever there is a significant-sized group of people who throw a fit - and these are many of the same people who have no problem significantly limiting other rights such as the ones you mentioned. Again, and maybe nobody here is understanding my question - my question is what is it about abortion specifically that so many people value it even more than they value rights which are explicitly spelled out in the Constitution? What is so sacred about abortion that it should not be in any way shape or form regulated?
Realist wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:46 pm
Two can play at this game...
I didn't start a game of what-about-ism. If you can't answer the question posed or don't want to answer the question posed then just say so.
zzand wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:49 pm
bmw, Let me add some fuel to the fire...
Agreed 100% about how men are treated as second-class citizens in Court when it comes to custody issues. However - good luck convincing the extremist wing of the pro-abortion crowd that pregnancy comes as a result of two consenting adults. I think in their world pregnancies are not controllable.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:59 pm

Realist wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:53 pm
I genuinely don’t get why the Neo conservatives insist on butting into a woman’s decision on this regardless. It doesn’t matter if you are for or against - the government needs to keep their nose out of a woman’s right to choose on this subject.
Well, it is a human life.
The same people who want to push gun control to protect innocent children also want the right to kill innocent children. One is in the womb one is outside. Thats the only difference. Both are innocent young lives.
Talking about a womans right to choose might work if there was a restriction on tattoos or body piercings. This is a deeper cause. Its not about "her body". Its about another persons body she is temporarily carrying.
So really, if the liberals want stricter gun control to protect children, then the few remaining liberals that arent nasty hateful hypocrites should easily be able to comprehend that Conservatives believe in tighter abortion laws for the SAME DAMN REASON!!
Last edited by Y M Ionhere on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:00 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:49 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:43 pm
The right to free speech and the right to bear arms are explicitly spelled out as rights in the Constitution (the first 2 Amendments in fact) and even these rights have their limits. As soon as anyone suggests ANY limits on abortions whatsoever there is a significant-sized group of people who throw a fit - and these are many of the same people who have no problem significantly limiting other rights such as the ones you mentioned. Again, and maybe nobody here is understanding my question - my question is what is it about abortion specifically that so many people value it even more than they value rights which are explicitly spelled out in the Constitution? What is so sacred about abortion that it should not be in any way shape or form regulated?

Full disclosure. I'm not a U.S. citizen. So if I'm getting into a discussion where I have no business being, let me know and I'll back off.

Yes, free speech and the right to bear arms are incorporated expressly in your constitution. But isn't it the job of your Supreme Court to interpret your constitution where it involves matters on which the Constitution is silent, such as abortion?

And if the court rules that a right exists under your Constitution. even though it isn't specifically referenced, doesn't that right have the same weight as one that was added by amendment?

I'm not arguing for abortion. I've already said I'm opposed to it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:37 am

I'm pretty sure that the pro abortion stance from the left goes back to the "Women's Liberation" movement of the '60's. Women burned their bra's and started to have much more uncommitted sex due to the advent of the "pill". In their mind, this made them equal to men. The pill doesn't work 100% of the time and voila, abortion solved that problem.

I think many pro-abortion activists see the writing on the wall. The majority of Americans support some limitations on abortion, and they know it. Seldom do I hear any of them use the term abortion any more. Even from the beginning, they didn't label themselves "Pro-abortion", they called themselves, "Pro-choice". These days, when referring to abortion, I hear the term "Reproductive Healthcare" being used in lieu of the term abortion.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:43 am

Once human fetuses can be gestated outside a human womb for nine months - much of the debate about abortion and a woman’s control over her own body and life - will disappear.

Because gestation happens inside a woman’s body - or - for those of us (men) not sensitive (perhaps no wife?) to all that that entails :

Nausea and vomiting,
growing out of wardrobe including shoes, buying new wardrobe and shoes
aching joints and muscles,
swollen tissues,
possible serious medical complications
breasts growing painfully heavy,
exhaustion, general body discomfort,
expensive nursery purchases and preparation,
car safety seats purchased/installed,
difficulties at work such as discrimination, maternity leave, sick days, breastfeeding, missing promotions,fired,
difficulties with child care especially if raising other child/kids,
monthly doctor appointments,
weekly doctor appointments,
many hours of labor pain,
delivery,
hospital bills,
breastfeeding when back at work,
finding reliable and affordable infant, baby, child care,
and all issues more complex if baby born with lifelong special needs.
etc,etc,etc.

Many insensitive men who are anti-abortion would instead be pro-choice if they were FORCED - NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES - to carry a developing fetus for nine months, endure hours of pain in labor/delivery, provide lifelong expensive care and provision for baby/child, teenager/young adult - while earning a living in their careers.
Add in single parenting, child with a disability, or any special need that causes more complications - and maybe ALL PERSONS - MALE AND FEMALE - could understand why abortion will never go away.

All pregnant females make their choice to remain pregnant. If we males could become pregnant we would want to make our choice to remain pregnant, too. No human wants to be forced to remain pregnant and have a baby. Thus - abortion will never go away.
Last edited by screen glare on Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:55 am

I tend to agree that in some form it will always be around. I also think at some point it will come up before SCOTUS, probably not as soon as most think, and while I don't think it will be overturned I do think it will be tweaked in an effort to compromise. The reason I say this is the Conservative Justices already understand the countless lives lost and don't want to add to it by making it illegal to get an abortion so those that choose to do so can do it in safe and medical conditions. Until then it will continue to be a hot button issue.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 am

screen glare wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:43 am
Nausea and vomiting...
So basically you view pregnancy as a disease or sickness? Kinda pathetic that in order to justify your pro-choice stance that you have to treat a fetus as if it were a cancerous tumor inside of a woman's body.
screen glare wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:43 am
All pregnant females make their choice to remain pregnant.
And now the glaring and clearly intentional omission: Most Pregnant females make their choice to get pregnant. This is one of those stubborn facts that the pro-abortion crowd conveniently ignores in their arguments. So setting aside the small minority of cases where the pregnancy was not by choice (abortion in those instances is a different argument altogether which I won't get into here), is it your view that pregnancy just happens by magic? Please explain to us the process in which this unwanted tumor of a fetus ends up inside of a woman's body.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:22 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:00 pm
And if the court rules that a right exists under your Constitution. even though it isn't specifically referenced, doesn't that right have the same weight as one that was added by amendment?
You're essentially correct. A court-determined right as contained within the Constitution has the same force of law as if it were expressly spelled out in the Constitution. The only real difference is that such a court ruling is easier to change (by nothing more than majority vote of a future court as opposed to the process of Constitutional amendment).

This is a side-track though as I'm not trying to make a legal argument here. I'm simply asking why the right to abortion is put on such a high pedestal by so many.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:26 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:37 am
The pill doesn't work 100% of the time and voila, abortion solved that problem.
So how did we get from there to abortion being a cure-all to all unwanted pregnancies, regardless of whether any precautions whatsoever were taken to avoid the pregnancy in the first place? It just strikes me as a complete lack of taking responsibility for one's actions (which, we ARE generally talking about liberals here, so I guess that shouldn't come as much of a surprise).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic