Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, Has Passed Away

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
CK-722

Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, Has Passed Away

Post by CK-722 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, of New Castle, PA, has passed away. Glen designed some of the most complex AM Directional antennas in the nation, including those for WWJ, WXYT, WFDF, and WMVP in the Eastern Midwest over the last 20 years or so. Glen's signature was ultra dogleg arrays where the towers are not linearly arranged, many to achieve high power, particularly 50000 watt facilities, particularly on Class III/B Regional Channels previously limited to 5000 watts.

Other details were unknown at this time of this Obituary.

http://obituaries.sharonherald.com/obit ... 1074127892

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722

Re: Glen Clark, Radio Consulting Engineer, Has Passed Away

Post by CK-722 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:51 am

Pixar Audio Prism Work

https://www.thebdr.net/articles/audio/p ... oPrism.pdf

I talked to Glen Clark several weeks ago. We talked a bunch about WLS, but I didn't realize that he had done a bunch of work for WLS (AM) when he was the CE at WLS-FM/WDAI. We emailed back and forth about my ideas to improve their signal. Suddenly, I didn't hear back. I wondered why, but I just thought he was busy.

Rich

Post by Rich » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:54 am

CK-722 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:51 am
I talked to Glen Clark several weeks ago. We talked a bunch about WLS, but I didn't realize that he had done a bunch of work for WLS (AM) when he was the CE at WLS-FM/WDAI. We emailed back and forth about my ideas to improve their signal. ...
Warren Shulz, the retired and recently deceased C.E. of WLS and I discussed the suspicions about WLS' signal being reduced now from what it was in the past. Their thinking/focus was on all the development around the present tx site of WLS.

I asked Warren what the recently-measured groundwave fields of WLS were at measuring points close to their tower (at or within a mile). The data he supplied showed fields that were very close to what theory calculates they should be, at those distances.

So there is practically nothing WLS could do* to usefully improve their groundwave fields 25 miles and more away from their present tx site.

* apart from moving their tx site closer to their "underserved" areas
Last edited by Rich on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:57 am

Without revealing more details, we were discussing and emailing about diplexing WLS with another AM, like WBBM and WSCR are apparently doing. He had not heard about WBBM and WSCR, which surprised me. I will say this, that he seemed pessimistic about the future of radio, but that's like a lot of radio aficionados I know, and some of the finest.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:34 pm

Pixar should read Texar. Spell Check.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:51 am
Pixar Audio Prism Work

https://www.thebdr.net/articles/audio/p ... oPrism.pdf

I talked to Glen Clark several weeks ago. We talked a bunch about WLS, but I didn't realize that he had done a bunch of work for WLS (AM) when he was the CE at WLS-FM/WDAI. We emailed back and forth about my ideas to improve their signal. Suddenly, I didn't hear back. I wondered why, but I just thought he was busy.
Thanks for posting this. That bdr article was fascinating, and almost a trip down memory lane for me.

Mr. Clark must have been an engineer's engineer; sorry to hear of his passing.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic