Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Drew And Mike Back...Sorta

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Tman

Re: Drew And Mike Back...Sorta

Post by Tman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:12 am

Best of luck to Drew and Mike show . What took so long for terrestrial radio to make this move is mind boggling .

hmtb44

Post by hmtb44 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 am

Is there any chance that they are actually purchasing the time from iHeart?

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:08 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 pm
windsor wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:29 pm

As a side...........I cant believe places like Specs are not creating morning shows for local radio with all the talented people in Mich. You mean you cant duplicate a JJ/Morn Crew type morn show for classic rock stations.A straight man and a voice guy.Cant be that hard.
Nope. Believe me, I walked into that place with my head held high and guns blazing. I did so many demo shows that my voice was shot by Friday. It's either retreads that have been recycled and moved around since the 70s, syndicated trash, or you work in Lima, Ohio for 20 years before you even get a shot at a part time gig around here.

It also helpe to have a TV or newspaper gig. Because you gotta have three gigs while others struggle to make it.
My BFF now removes noxious weeds as he's found that poison ivy eradication more lucrative and rewarding than radio.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:48 am

FET-500 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:08 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:12 pm
windsor wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:29 pm

As a side...........I cant believe places like Specs are not creating morning shows for local radio with all the talented people in Mich. You mean you cant duplicate a JJ/Morn Crew type morn show for classic rock stations.A straight man and a voice guy.Cant be that hard.
Nope. Believe me, I walked into that place with my head held high and guns blazing. I did so many demo shows that my voice was shot by Friday. It's either retreads that have been recycled and moved around since the 70s, syndicated trash, or you work in Lima, Ohio for 20 years before you even get a shot at a part time gig around here.

It also helpe to have a TV or newspaper gig. Because you gotta have three gigs while others struggle to make it.
My BFF now removes noxious weeds as he's found that poison ivy eradication more lucrative and rewarding than radio.
We had a poster here whose signature was "Actually, that's the real problem with radio. For every legend, you have 15 tired gasbags who stick around too long".

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:08 am

So, the podcast is on. The audio quality sounds just like the talk channels on Sirius XM, which isn't a good thing.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 am

I do like the fact they are focusing on light hearted bits and segments on this morning's best of.

We need more of that on Detroit radio!

Not the stupid faux drama segments from Fat Fuck's morning show (Mojo).

Not the boring caller segments from Steve and JoAnn's morning show.

Not the inane banter found on the CSX or 89X shows.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 am

Had to go out and caught some in the vehicle this morn. I really liked what I heard.I ve only listened to the podcast a few times when Mike was sill there.

Imo this is the new Wheelz morn show.....more accessable then online.Even if Drew doesnt want morn again just prerecord it for the next morn drive.

Fan's will love it............Im sure this weekend thing is just a test drive, pardon the pun. :wink:

finally iheart is using their grey matter for a format on 106.7 :P

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Detroit Guy

Post by Detroit Guy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:51 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 am
I saw an article that said “new Drew and Mike content.”

Let’s hope it’s better than the old stuff.

Mike: (Says something) Ha, ha, ha, ha.
Drew: (Says something else) Ha, ha, ha.
(Each react to what each other says) Ha, ha, ha.

I’ve never heard a show where people laugh at themselves more than they do.
So you’ve obviously never listened to Dave and Chuck the Freak.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:07 pm
I'm fairly certain of this, but I could swear even as late at the early 90s, WLLZ was still playing whole albums on weekend nights, maybe even Sunday mornings. I know W4 did this, but I swear I remember that. Someone chime in!

Also, Idk how many are aware of it, but if a station also broadcasts over the internet, a whole album cannot br played in full. It's something called "millenium rule" or something like that. I tried playing full albums when I still voice tracked on CSX's HD2 many years ago, but the system will either drop out or drop a song. I noticed it happen when I tried playing "Fair Warning" in full on a Saturday night. So I don't think any whole albums will be played anytime soon. If anyone in the know is familiar with that, please chime in again!
RE: albums. Never heard of that drop out. However, we (WIDL) play live concert albums on Saturday nights. We break them into 15-20 min segments without any issue. Granted, that's not LP per side length, but it's close.

RadioDork1

Post by RadioDork1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am

:D
Last edited by RadioDork1 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 pm

bobhuge wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
I'm fairly certain of this, but I could swear even as late at the early 90s, WLLZ was still playing whole albums on weekend nights, maybe even Sunday mornings. I know W4 did this, but I swear I remember that. Someone chime in!

Also, Idk how many are aware of it, but if a station also broadcasts over the internet, a whole album cannot br played in full. It's something called "millenium rule" or something like that. I tried playing full albums when I still voice tracked on CSX's HD2 many years ago, but the system will either drop out or drop a song. I noticed it happen when I tried playing "Fair Warning" in full on a Saturday night. So I don't think any whole albums will be played anytime soon. If anyone in the know is familiar with that, please chime in again!
RE: albums. Never heard of that drop out. However, we (WIDL) play live concert albums on Saturday nights. We break them into 15-20 min segments without any issue. Granted, that's not LP per side length, but it's close.
That might explain it. We were commercial-free, so you would get every song from the album, in order, interrupted only by sweepers or a quick talk break.

God I miss doing that. The closest to progressive rock radio I'll ever get in this lifetime.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 pm
bobhuge wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:40 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

That might explain it. We were commercial-free, so you would get every song from the album, in order, interrupted only by sweepers or a quick talk break.

God I miss doing that. The closest to progressive rock radio I'll ever get in this lifetime.
Progressive Rock only lasted from 1967- 1973, WKNR-FM 100.3, WABX 99.5 and WWWW 106.7 were progressive at that time after 1973 things started to become more mainstream. WKNR was the first station to drop progressive rock in 1971 to become Stereo Island, WABX and W4 remained Rock years after. WRIF was never a progressive rock station they were Album Rock.
Last edited by Deleted User 14992 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:23 pm

I programmed my own music, created my own IDs and sweepers, came up with my own show specials, talked about the artists, the albums, the little details about the albums...and I would do it all again for free if I could ever have that kind of freedom again.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic