Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Spreading the hate

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
BKRPDM

Spreading the hate

Post by BKRPDM » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Not that I’m a big fan or listener of the syndicated Steve Harvey (92.3) and Tom Joyner (105.9), but as bad as the political climate has been lately (regardless of which side you’re on), the main content of these shows is consumed with hate.

Whatever happened to entertaining shows? It’s far from what you’d hear on John Mason’s show even a few years ago. I’m sure that not everyone in these stations’ desired demographics wants to hear this. IMO, seems like Bounce stays away from this.

Then you have all the made-up shit on 96.3 (“Dealbreakers”). It’s no wonder that there’s a trend to all of the services like Spotify, etc.

ZenithCKLW

Re: Spreading the hate

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Do you have any examples of what made you determine that this was "hate?"

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Seems to me that an admitted non-listener of either show would have a hard time convincing someone that these shows are chock-full of hateful content.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:20 pm
Seems to me that an admitted non-listener of either show would have a hard time convincing someone that these shows are chock-full of hateful content.
Your point is well-taken, Motown. Maybe I don’t listen enough. Whether one agrees or disagrees with the content, I’m just comparing what you’d hear 10 years ago (entertainment, light-hearted fare) with what one hears more of now (things of a serious nature). It just feels like the world is a hell of a lot crabbier.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 pm

I can wholeheartedly agree with your point, BK. I heard a great tune on 105.9 a few weeks back and stayed for Hughley's break. I've been a big fan of him and Harvey since I caught the Original Kings of Comedy movie years ago. He went on a long rant about "people in red hats" and what they are. At that point, you're really just preaching to the choir.

But the point you really nailed is the "crabby" portion. Why ARE we so crabby? You can't just lay it at the feet of the president or his followers. We are an extremely tense nation right now. And I made a point at work the other day that every part of everyday life has politics seeping into it. I told a co-worker that I'm not apolitical, but you can't discuss squat anymore. And there's always that one asshole that just can't wait to throw the match on to the can of gas. Doesn't matter what side they're on.

I have people on my Facebook, some that I've known for 20 years, that don't like or comment on my recovery statuses. Nary a word when I post photos of myself or my family. Music videos? Nada. Sports? Silence. Crappy jokes and puns? Crickets.

But I post a joke or a meme about the president or a staff member or a follower? Good God Almighty, it's like I kicked the shit out of their kid and raped their mom! Talk about feeling the wrath!
So I don't even bother anymore. But it's difficult for me, as my main job concerns social media and being on it most of my day. I see lots of local and national news feeds, and while I'm usually disappointed, I'm never surprised.

Forget news sites. Go on YouTube. Pick a song. Any song. Any artist. I can all but guarantee that at some point in the comment section, it will turn political.

Take "Jump" by Van Halen. Great tune. Positive lyrics. And it will degenerate into this:

"Great song. Reminds me of when we had a REAL president"

"Fuck you, cuck. Trump 2020"

"Killary plays this while plotting who to kill next"

"Oh look, a Trump supporter that spelled every word right!"

"I know you are but what am I?"

I mean, just look at this board. Years ago, you'd almost NEVER see politics outside of political potpourri. Now you've got accusations of racism thrown around in the Detroit section, hell, I've seen actual slurs tossed around (although MW took out the trash).

The question now is, when does it change? When does it stop? Why are we so argumentative? I just don't understand it. It's like people get their rocks off on being angry. Confrontational. Hurtful. And it just gets worse by the day. I doubt you could get two people to agree on what time of day it is. Worse yet, I've seen family stop talking to one another over this shit. My one side of the family used to be very tight knit. I was proud of how close we all were. Now? Forget it. I believe what I believe, and I live my life by that creed. That's good enough for me.

Idk how many of you have seen the movie "My Fellow Americans", with Jack Lemmon and James Garner. Great movie from 1996 about two ex-presidents (a Democrat and a Republican) on the run after discovering a murder cover up. Hijinxs ensue. But imagine if that movie was made today. Holy. Shit. I can only imagine.

I think maybe, instead of looking at everyone else's supposed faults and pointing the finger and calling names, perhaps we, as human beings, should start looking inward. Start with yourself instead of the guy watching Fox News with a red hat on. Or the guy posting the Bill Maher video on Facebook. But when I ask these questions, no one seems to have an answer. I started a thread like that a few months ago, asking how we turn this around. How do we unite? But it got 8 responses and died.

I should have started a thread about how much I hate Trump or Hillary Clinton. It would probably STILL be active.

I wish you all the best.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 pm
I can wholeheartedly agree with your point, BK. I heard a great tune on 105.9 a few weeks back and stayed for Hughley's break. I've been a big fan of him and Harvey since I caught the Original Kings of Comedy movie years ago. He went on a long rant about "people in red hats" and what they are. At that point, you're really just preaching to the choir.

But the point you really nailed is the "crabby" portion. Why ARE we so crabby? You can't just lay it at the feet of the president or his followers. We are an extremely tense nation right now. And I made a point at work the other day that every part of everyday life has politics seeping into it. I told a co-worker that I'm not apolitical, but you can't discuss squat anymore. And there's always that one asshole that just can't wait to throw the match on to the can of gas. Doesn't matter what side they're on.

I have people on my Facebook, some that I've known for 20 years, that don't like or comment on my recovery statuses. Nary a word when I post photos of myself or my family. Music videos? Nada. Sports? Silence. Crappy jokes and puns? Crickets.

But I post a joke or a meme about the president or a staff member or a follower? Good God Almighty, it's like I kicked the shit out of their kid and raped their mom! Talk about feeling the wrath!
So I don't even bother anymore. But it's difficult for me, as my main job concerns social media and being on it most of my day. I see lots of local and national news feeds, and while I'm usually disappointed, I'm never surprised.

Forget news sites. Go on YouTube. Pick a song. Any song. Any artist. I can all but guarantee that at some point in the comment section, it will turn political.

Take "Jump" by Van Halen. Great tune. Positive lyrics. And it will degenerate into this:

"Great song. Reminds me of when we had a REAL president"

"Fuck you, cuck. Trump 2020"

"Killary plays this while plotting who to kill next"

"Oh look, a Trump supporter that spelled every word right!"

"I know you are but what am I?"

I mean, just look at this board. Years ago, you'd almost NEVER see politics outside of political potpourri. Now you've got accusations of racism thrown around in the Detroit section, hell, I've seen actual slurs tossed around (although MW took out the trash).

The question now is, when does it change? When does it stop? Why are we so argumentative? I just don't understand it. It's like people get their rocks off on being angry. Confrontational. Hurtful. And it just gets worse by the day. I doubt you could get two people to agree on what time of day it is. Worse yet, I've seen family stop talking to one another over this shit. My one side of the family used to be very tight knit. I was proud of how close we all were. Now? Forget it. I believe what I believe, and I live my life by that creed. That's good enough for me.

Idk how many of you have seen the movie "My Fellow Americans", with Jack Lemmon and James Garner. Great movie from 1996 about two ex-presidents (a Democrat and a Republican) on the run after discovering a murder cover up. Hijinxs ensue. But imagine if that movie was made today. Holy. Shit. I can only imagine.

I think maybe, instead of looking at everyone else's supposed faults and pointing the finger and calling names, perhaps we, as human beings, should start looking inward. Start with yourself instead of the guy watching Fox News with a red hat on. Or the guy posting the Bill Maher video on Facebook. But when I ask these questions, no one seems to have an answer. I started a thread like that a few months ago, asking how we turn this around. How do we unite? But it got 8 responses and died.

I should have started a thread about how much I hate Trump or Hillary Clinton. It would probably STILL be active.

I wish you all the best.
Re: second to last paragraph.
When those tv hosts knock the other side, the people they are attacking get defensive. And I cant blame them.
Dont you think people like Rachel Maddow and Cenk Uygur inflame tensions? Ann Coulter? Michael Savage? They may be the bigger problem than the people simply watching them because they have the influence to spread it and put the ideas in the heads of the people who go online to repeat it.and quite honestly, i think the leaders of the political parties are the worst offenders. They slander half of America and lie just to pander to a few selected bases. You honestly think thats healthy? I think the biggest problems come from the top and the audiences are either brainwashed or simply havent heard any effective opposing viewpoint so they repeat the toxicity fed to them by people with agendas.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 am

If you boys want to hear some REAL hate,tune to WJR," The HATE Voice Of The Great Lakes," as someone sagaciously termed the once-great station. Trumpial needs folks like Beckmann, Levin, Limp-B**s,ShaPIRATE,the Savage Weiner (a self-proclaimed white nationalist,actually a white supremacist),and other reactionary wack jobs hold forth,spewing their mix of Trump groupiedom and loathing for anyone who isn't a rich,straight white male like themselves . Now THAT,boys,is TRUE HATE !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:52 am

I can't say you're wrong, but I also can't say you're right. I mean, sure, the talking heads can be and are a major part of the problem. But that speaks to my point about "preaching to the choir". Obviously, a vast majority of Hughley's audience probably feels that way. But we have a choice not to tune in. And That's what I do. Granted, Bill Maher's show is weekly appointment viewing for me. But I take it for what it is. He's a comedian. Not a news source. There's a LOT of people out there that need to be told what to think or have their opinions validated. It all just depends on what your viewpoint is. It's like Lewis Black said..."you can't show video of a Land Rover running over a cat, and then say the cat was trying to kill itself". Truth is subjective. It's a whole metaphorical subject I don't really have time to get into at the moment, but I'd love to. But again, I'm gonna go into work, make sure the bills are paid, and put food on the table. Not out starting shit with strangers that I don't have to deal with face to face. And try my best not to get angry about something small in the grand scheme of things.

-TurkeyTop

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 am

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 am
If you boys want to hear some REAL hate,tune to WJR," The HATE Voice Of The Great Lakes," as someone sagaciously termed the once-great station. Trumpial needs folks like Beckmann, Levin, Limp-B**s,ShaPIRATE,the Savage Weiner (a self-proclaimed white nationalist,actually a white supremacist),and other reactionary wack jobs hold forth,spewing their mix of Trump groupiedom and loathing for anyone who isn't a rich,straight white male like themselves . Now THAT,boys,is TRUE HATE !!!!
Congratulations. You are a victim of the very brainwashing and misinformation i mentioned. Listen to your anger and mistruths. I think youve proven my point.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 am
Congratulations. You are a victim of the very brainwashing and misinformation i mentioned. Listen to your anger and mistruths. I think youve proven my point.
That's what I mentioned above... you know, about that asshole that has to throw the match on the can of gas. Now, what good purpose was served by posting this? None. If that's how you feel, great. Good for you. THAT is the flame that leads to the powderkeg.

It's like...it's not enough to just disagree about something. Everyone needs to know how you feel about someone. Like above. Hey, news flash, I don't like and don't agree with the hosts on WJR. So guess what...I don't listen! Concept that seems so simple! I don't like the shows, so I don't tune in, I don't talk about them online, I don't even think about them. But, that isn't enough for me. Because if I do that, I won't have anything to get pissed about and throw a fit about online. But there are obviously people that DO like them and DO agree with them, and bully for them. It's just too damn hard to keep the peace.

And that brings up another point. Who is to say that, just because you don't agree with what he says, that it's "brainwashing" or "mistruths"? That's the whole thing I was talking about earlier. It's not the way *I* see it, so YOU are wrong.

-TurkeyTop

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 pm
Y M Ionhere wrote:
That's what I mentioned above... you know, about that asshole that has to throw the match on the can of gas. Now, what good purpose was served by posting this? None. If that's how you feel, great. Good for you. THAT is the flame that leads to the powderkeg.

It's like...it's not enough to just disagree about something. Everyone needs to know how you feel about someone. Like above. Hey, news flash, I don't like and don't agree with the hosts on WJR. So guess what...I don't listen! Concept that seems so simple! I don't like the shows, so I don't tune in, I don't talk about them online, I don't even think about them. But, that isn't enough for me. Because if I do that, I won't have anything to get pissed about and throw a fit about online. But there are obviously people that DO like them and DO agree with them, and bully for them. It's just too damn hard to keep the peace.

And that brings up another point. Who is to say that, just because you don't agree with what he says, that it's "brainwashing" or "mistruths"? That's the whole thing I was talking about earlier. It's not the way *I* see it, so YOU are wrong.
Somewhere along the way, he has been led to believe that everyone on that particular side is a sexist, agist, classist white supremacist. Thats obviously not true. Now, I will say that Savage has often remarked that "liberalism is a mental disorder", and that doesnt really help ease the division. But he is known as being a bit more extreme than average.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Y M Ionhere wrote:

Somewhere along the way, he has been led to believe that everyone on that particular side is a sexist, agist, classist white supremacist. Thats obviously not true. Now, I will say that Savage has often remarked that "liberalism is a mental disorder", and that doesnt really help ease the division. But he is known as being a bit more extreme than average.
Right. It's never why "MY ideas are good and better and here are reasons why". It's always "YOUR ideas are shitty and stupid and ridiculous and you're a fucking piece of shit loser that needs to fuckin die, asshole". That would be a good place to start.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:35 pm

See? This thread sank like a concrete turd, also.

-TurkeyTop

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:57 pm
Y M Ionhere wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Y M Ionhere wrote:

Right. It's never why "MY ideas are good and better and here are reasons why". It's always "YOUR ideas are shitty and stupid and ridiculous and you're a fucking piece of shit loser that needs to fuckin die, asshole". That would be a good place to start.
Well put, Mega.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Tom Joyner is definitely hateful. He doesn't just have an aversion toward conservatives; he has antipathy toward "White America" in general. He makes little if any effort to hide his feelings. Even the audience to whom he attempts to appeal, I think, is turned off by his attitude. This is why Tom Joyner's ratings are not nearly as good as they once were.

I cannot say I feel the same way about the views espoused on the Steve Harvey show; I've never personally observed any viewpoints I would deem "hateful." Then again, I listen to his program infrequently.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic