All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/25 at 4:40p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

On Becoming a Dinosaur

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

On Becoming a Dinosaur

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:07 pm

One of the worst things about getting older is that things we’ve always taken for granted start becoming unavailable. Sometimes it might be the discontinuation of a familiar brand but often it’s the complete elimination of a product or service

My Kenwood stereo receiver has served me well for about 25 years. But it’s getting a little tired. The volume control is intermittent and the left channel seems a little distorted. So lately I’ve been thinking about replacing it. They don’t make them anymore. I don’t mean just Kenwood. It appears that nobody builds that kind of product.

Was in at Best Buy today. Everything is geared to Home Theatre or Blue Teeth. I have zero interest in Home Theatre and I don’t even know what Blue Teeth means. Told the sales guy I don’t want Home Theatre but it seemed beyond comprehension to him that someone wouldn’t want Home Theatre. Kept wanting to sell it to me. Demonstrating the thunderous speakers and the giant screens. I cleared out.

I only want to listen to music. It doesn’t have to be audiophile grade fidelity, because my ears are no longer capable of appreciating that. I just want a well-made product with decent audio quality and a good tuner.

I'm not keeping up with the times. I’m obsolete. Keeps on going like this, they may as well just push me into the hole and shovel dirt over me,

NS8401

Re: On Becoming a Dinosaur

Post by NS8401 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:07 pm
One of the worst things about getting older is that things we’ve always taken for granted start becoming unavailable. Sometimes it might be the discontinuation of a familiar brand but often it’s the complete elimination of a product or service

My Kenwood stereo receiver has served me well for about 25 years. But it’s getting a little tired. The volume control is intermittent and the left channel seems a little distorted. So lately I’ve been thinking about replacing it. They don’t make them anymore. I don’t mean just Kenwood. It appears that nobody builds that kind of product.

Was in at Best Buy today. Everything is geared to Home Theatre or Blue Teeth. I have zero interest in Home Theatre and I don’t even know what Blue Teeth means. Told the sales guy I don’t want Home Theatre but it seemed beyond comprehension to him that someone wouldn’t want Home Theatre. Kept wanting to sell it to me. Demonstrating the thunderous speakers and the giant screens. I cleared out.

I only want to listen to music. It doesn’t have to be audiophile grade fidelity, because my ears are no longer capable of appreciating that. I just want a well-made product with decent audio quality and a good tuner.

I'm not keeping up with the times. I’m obsolete. Keeps on going like this, they may as well just push me into the hole and shovel dirt over me,
Go buy a decent used one on eBay or learn how to rewire yours....

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:26 pm

I guess I'm just not used to being a part of the market that is being ignored. We baby boomers had everything our way for so many years. They catered to our every want. Now we no longer matter.

Note to self. Get over it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Knowing your a hands on kind of guy, you may want to hit ome pawn shops.

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 pm

I’d second the Pawn Shop idea but those are going to be similar things.... but just not as new.

My 25yr old Optimus (RadioShack) receiver is starting to have its issues.

Good thing it’s now my basement surround amplifier more than anything else.

Let us know what you do TT....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image>>RayQix<<Image

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:26 pm
I guess I'm just not used to being a part of the market that is being ignored. We baby boomers had everything our way for so many years. They catered to our every want. Now we no longer matter.

Note to self. Get over it.
Millennials are the new boomers and about 4 million more than the total number of boomers at that.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 pm

If there's an audio specialty store in your area (not a big box place like Best Buy), you might find something there.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:46 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 pm

There's a certain irony here. Grew up and lived much of my adult life in poverty. Lived with hand me downs and second hand stuff. second hand clothes. Second hand bike. Second hand skates. Second hand radio. Hated it. Now that I'm at a point in my life where I can afford nice things, they're only available second hand, at pawn shops.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:59 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:46 am
Bryce wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 pm

There's a certain irony here. Grew up and lived much of my adult life in poverty. Lived with hand me downs and second hand stuff. second hand clothes. Second hand bike. Second hand skates. Second hand radio. Hated it. Now that I'm at a point in my life where I can afford nice things, they're only available second hand, at pawn shops.
Second hand stuff can be quite good...

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:30 am

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:10 am

This is probably what you are looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH130-Ch ... B006U1VH2S

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:36 am

audiophile wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:10 am

It is hard to tell with my cruddy eyes on my phone screen, but I am not sure if this unit has a phono input. If you have a turntable and want to keep using it, you'll want a receiver with a phono input.

Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:48 am

audiophile wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:10 am

That is what I am looking for. But part of being a dinosaur is that I don't shop online. I might be able to get one of our sons to do it for me.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:53 am

If the other unit doesn't have a phono input, investigate the Onkyo TX-8020, which does. Available for about $200 on amazon.com.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 am

The Sony unit DOES NOT have a phono input. You'll have to buy a preamp in order to use a record player.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:32 am

The only input I need is for my CD player. I would like to also plug the audio from my XM receiver into it but I can't. It doesn't pick up any signal in that room, so I have to keep it in a different room. I feed the audio from the XN into a low powered FM transmitter and broadcast it on 90.1 FM, which I can pick up anywhere on our property.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:32 am
The only input I need is for my CD player. I would like to also plug the audio from my XM receiver into it but I can't. It doesn't pick up any signal in that room, so I have to keep it in a different room. I feed the audio from the XN into a low powered FM transmitter and broadcast it on 90.1 FM, which I can pick up anywhere on our property.
You aren't quite the dinosaur you make yourself out to be.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Now that I'm at a point in my life where I can afford nice things ...
I didn't grow up poor but had some really lean times after I went out on my own. Radio can do that to you.

My wife and I have done well and we now have more disposable income than we have ever had. Yet nobody seems to want it.

Unless you count pharmaceutical companies and insurers, no advertiser courts us.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:58 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Now that I'm at a point in my life where I can afford nice things ...
I didn't grow up poor but had some really lean times after I went out on my own. Radio can do that to you.

My wife and I have done well and we now have more disposable income than we have ever had. Yet nobody seems to want it.

Unless you count pharmaceutical companies and insurers, no advertiser courts us.
Which seems to be a dinosaur of a strategy that goes back to the 50’s and 60’s...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 am

About 5 years ago I had a call from a Company that compiles the ratings for radio stations. When asked if I would be willing to be a participant, I said sure. First, she had to ask me some preliminary questions about myself, name, address, age etc. When she got to my age and I told her, she thanked me for my time but said they weren't interested in hearing from my age group.

Like Vic says, we're the generation that has money to spend. Our mortgages are paid off. Our kids are through school. And we have lots of free time. Why are they all chasing the millennials and ignoring what could be a lucrative market?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic