Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 2-7-2018 at 8:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating newly registered accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The Decline of Respect

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

The Decline of Respect

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 pm

I was out on my bicycle today and a funeral procession was approaching from the opposite direction. The hearse, the limo and the followers, all with their flashers on. I remember when, if a funeral procession was passing, the traffic in the other direction would stop until the funeral procession had passed. It was intended as a show of respect. Not anymore. I got off my bike and removed my hat. But the cars just kept right on going.

As I watched the mourners passing by, I noticed that several of the drivers were either talking on their phones or texting, How disrespectful is that to the loved on, to be breaking the law at their funeral.

NS8401

Re: The Decline of Respect

Post by NS8401 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 pm
I was out on my bicycle today and a funeral procession was approaching from the opposite direction. The hearse, the limo and the followers, all with their flashers on. I remember when, if a funeral procession was passing, the traffic in the other direction would stop until the funeral procession had passed. It was intended as a show of respect. Not anymore. I got off my bike and removed my hat. But the cars just kept right on going.

As I watched the mourners passing by, I noticed that several of the drivers were either talking on their phones or texting, How disrespectful is that to the loved on, to be breaking the law at their funeral.
A funeral is for the living. The guy in the hearse won’t be offended.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 am

So, if I spit on the coffin or piss on the grave, that wouldn't be disrespectful?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:39 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 am
So, if I spit on the coffin or piss on the grave, that wouldn't be disrespectful?
It would be to everybody that was there... the dead guy is dead... he can’t care, further proof it’s for the living and not the dead. What the people do on the boring ride from funeral home to cemetery isn’t relevant to the proceedings... before phones I’m sure they made idle and mundane chit chat irrelevant to the event... would that have been disrespectful too?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 am

Well, if that's the way you feel, just wait until your funeral. I'll wave my privates at you. :razz

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:44 am
Well, if that's the way you feel, just wait until your funeral. I'll wave my privates at you. :razz
And I’ll salute your right to do so... I’ve always wanted to add some wacky stuff into a will whenever it comes time to write one... :razz

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:50 am

There's the joke about the Scotsman who asked his best friend to pour a bottle of whisky over his grave. The friend asked him if it would be OK if he passed it through his kidneys first.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:42 am

I wonder if they pulled over for Rodney Dangerfield's funeral?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:52 pm

This is an interesting topic.
I grew up in Detroit. I never remember people on the other side of the street stopping until the procession went by. My dad never did it. I don't think he ever heard of such a thing, to tell you the truth.
I've been to funerals in Delaware three times. No one there coming the other way pulled to the side of the road until it passed. I'm fairly confident my aunt, uncle and cousins had never heard of such a thing.

I had never heard of such a thing .... until I was in a funeral procession just north of Flint about 4 years ago. Everyone was pulling over. I'm like what's this all about? First time I had ever seen this. This past summer we got caught behind a funeral outside of Jellico KY. That was the second time I seen this. And that sums up the only two times in my life that I've seen it.

Must be a regional thing. As for me, unless I want to get rear ended, I'm not going to do it around the Motor City.
Last edited by In The Bleachers on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out. http://www.kickthemallout.com/

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:54 pm

In Florida, they don't even pull over for emergency vehicles.

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:54 pm
In Florida, they don't even pull over for emergency vehicles.
Me personally, emergency vehicles need to start spending more on louder sirens, and less on trying to have more strobe lights than a New York discotheque.
Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out. http://www.kickthemallout.com/

radio stain

Post by radio stain » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:16 am

Well why should people show any respect for the dead when they can't even show any respect for the living?

Radio Chili

Post by Radio Chili » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:01 pm

When I'm 'day', just thow me in the street and let the traffic run over me. Like 'roadkill'. I don't want to inconvenience anyone! Then when I eventually become a roadkill 'throw rug', I can be useful again to someone?

My Daughter was quick to speak out against it. Saying that for the first few days, while I was still recognizable, they'd 'feel bad' having to look at me while driving to work each day!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm

radio stain wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:16 am
Well why should people show any respect for the dead when they can't even show any respect for the living?
Call it. 11/24/17. 7:10pm. Radio Stain wins the internet.

I was hoping someone would make this point. When did please, thank you and you're welcome become so nonexistent? Even at 32, if my father caught me not using one of those phrases when called for, he'd still slap me in the back of the head. We are in a very sad, sordid state of affairs.
Underground Sounds, Ann Arbor, Michigan
"Keep Vinyl Alive!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic