Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Because Common Sense is Not Common

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Calvert DeForest

Because Common Sense is Not Common

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 am

Sad to say some actually need a law to point out the obvious:

http://www.wilx.com/content/news/Bill-r ... 82053.html
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

In The Bleachers

Re: Because Common Sense is Not Common

Post by In The Bleachers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm not sure about all that.
Yes, you should use your signal. Don't get me wrong, turn signals are great. And in heavy traffic, they're your best friend trying to change lanes.

But if like there's no one anywhere near you? This law means a cop could be a mile behind you, and no one between the two of you, and he can put the petal to the metal, catch you and write a citation. In the middle of nowhere, of in the middle of the night when no one is around, a ticket for not using one is a bit petty to me.

Here's a good question. Do I need to use my turn signal if I'm in a turn only lane?
What the Michigan Vehicle Code says is "you must signal your intention to turn". Is being in a turn only lane, qualify as signaling my intention to turn?

kager

Post by kager » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Nope. Some people in a turn-only lane don't realize that it is a turn-only lane and abort at the last minute. Assumption is not a good decision tree when driving a weapon. It's lazy.

The whole "I don't have to signal if no one is within close proximity" argument is dangerous at best. Like not coming to a stop at a stop sign, or passing a vehicle on the right shoulder because someone is making a left turn ahead of you... if you violate traffic laws, you deserve the citation in most circumstances.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 pm
I'm not sure about all that.
Yes, you should use your signal. Don't get me wrong, turn signals are great. And in heavy traffic, they're your best friend trying to change lanes.

But if like there's no one anywhere near you? This law means a cop could be a mile behind you, and no one between the two of you, and he can put the petal to the metal, catch you and write a citation. In the middle of nowhere, of in the middle of the night when no one is around, a ticket for not using one is a bit petty to me.

Here's a good question. Do I need to use my turn signal if I'm in a turn only lane?
What the Michigan Vehicle Code says is "you must signal your intention to turn". Is being in a turn only lane, qualify as signaling my intention to turn?
Can't speak for everyone, but when I took Driver Education way back when, the teaching was to signal every lane change regardless of traffic. Signaling is second nature to me. It's as much of an unconscious habit as clicking my seat belt. I do it without even thinking. I have to say that the habit has proven useful at times, especially when another vehicle zips out of nowhere at a high rate of speed. I was taught to always err on the side of caution, because things may not always be as they seem. I find it to be a good rule when I'm controlling two tons of metal.
Last edited by Calvert DeForest on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 am
Signaling is second nature to me. It's a much of an unconscious habit as clicking my seat belt. I do it without even thinking
Me too. When I was in Japan a few years back, where the cars are set up opposite of ours, I wore out the windshield wipers. :red
~Repeal And Replace, Mitch Mcconnell.~

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 am
Me too. When I was in Japan a few years back, where the cars are set up opposite of ours, I wore out the windshield wipers. :red
Hey, at least you weren't England where you had to drive on the wrong side of the road! :lol

(or maybe you did...don't know which side they drive on in Japan)

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 am
... Hey, at least you weren't England where you had to drive on the wrong side of the road! ...
I think it's a safe bet I'll never travel overseas for the rest of my life.
But I was to go over to the Land of the Limeys, I would be driven. I would be scared I'd screw it up.
I've read a few times that there are quite a bit of American fatalities, as a result of looking the wrong way when stepping off a curb.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 pm

After seeing a rude driver say this: I guess turn signals were optional that model year...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:12 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 am
Bryce wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 am
Hey, at least you weren't England where you had to drive on the wrong side of the road! :lol

(or maybe you did...don't know which side they drive on in Japan)
They drive on the other side in Japan too. Steering wheel is on the opposite side as well.
~Repeal And Replace, Mitch Mcconnell.~

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic