Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Prove who I am on Facebook

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 14896

Prove who I am on Facebook

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:18 am

I have a Facebook account which has a fake name. People talk about how they are worried about security and privacy while browsing Facebook. I figure the best way to prevent that is to simply not let them know who I really am.
I know that another Buzzboard member has done the same, I see his postings on Facebook with a name similar to what he uses on here, talking about the same topics he talks about on here. But obviously, just like on here, not his real name.

So this morning, I go to log in, and Facebook wants me to verify who I am. They want me to send them a .jpg of identification with the same name I'm using on Facebook. According to the instructions "Anything I send them should contain either my name and date of birth, or your name and photo".

Needless to say, that's not happening. The whole point me using a fake name is for privacy. I mean I realize the whole business model of Facebook is to sell information about their users. It's how they make a living. I understand that. But to go as far as to not let me log in until I send them a copy of my ID?

I actually toyed this morning with calling up one of the media outlets. But after a discussion with a friend, she don't think I would get much help. She feels the media also wants everyone to use their real name. That way, if we get in trouble, it makes it easy for them to find a picture of us to show on the nightly news.

I made some screen prints of the info they wanted, but don't see how to upload them.

ZenithCKLW

Re: Prove who I am on Facebook

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 am

Any idea what triggered Facebook to ask you for proof of ID?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:59 am

Facebook is now connecting users with D&B data. If you don't have a credit profile and your age is above 18 you get flagged. I ran a personal and a public Facebook account and my public account was locked for this very reason.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am

I have a Facebook for family and have one for friends/co-workers. The reason is I don't want prying eyes and I want a certain level of privacy. Sometimes I wonder why I even have Facebook.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm confused. I'm not a face page user, but I thought the whole idea of face page was to surrender one's privacy and make every detail of one's life available to the whole world.

What's the point, if it's done under a false name?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:24 pm

TheForce wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:28 am
I have a Facebook for family and have one for friends/co-workers. The reason is I don't want prying eyes and I want a certain level of privacy. Sometimes I wonder why I even have Facebook.
I follow Facebook usage measurements closely. In North America, new accounts have slowed, and usage has dropped through the floor with desirable users. I think the repeated news about breaches has finally reached users, at least those who never understood that they have always been the product.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Here is a good article on social media and mental health.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalt ... a36cd72e5a

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 pm

TheForce wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 pm
Here is a good article on social media and mental health.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalt ... a36cd72e5a
This was a very good read. Thank you.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:13 am

I logged off facebook until further notice on October 19 to save my mental health.

I'm in over 100 stupid chat rooms, I have stupid guys whining over me not wanting to date them, I have stupid friends that think my life revolves around their dramatic bs, I have people harass me and accuse me of ignoring them on a daily basis because I don't reply to their "urgent" messages.
I'm not doing well physically and don't need this nonsense stressing me out more than I already am.

But since I've left, I have people calling me everyday thinking I'm dead...
Like, just leave me alone.
Lol ffs

Music is my life.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:44 am

I can't do social media. Over at another board I am active on, I see examples of people embarrassing themselves every damn day on social media. Especially twitter, oddly enough. Twitter attracts morons like moths to a fire. I feel like Facebook was a novel tool back in the day, but that a lot of what people used it for in "getting connected" was one part rosiness of the new world of the internet and another part no other service doing what it did at the time. Facebook will likely be around for a long time, but I think they will have trouble doing the things they want to do going forward. People are fine with having their info exploited to a certain degree, but the services FB offers appear to be crafted more towards conditioning users than supporting their experience.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:13 am

You violated the terms of service you agreed to when you signed up.
If you don't like the rules don't join the free "club". You have no complaint because you cheated and got caught.
It's possible somebody complained your account was fake.
Personally I like Facebook and I like the policy of real names.

I no longer directly engage trolls

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Why the fuck would anyone sign up for facebook under a fake name?
The entire purpose of the site is to connect with FRIENDS. Not nonexistent people

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:18 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 pm
Why the fuck would anyone sign up for facebook under a fake name?
The entire purpose of the site is to connect with FRIENDS. Not nonexistent people
Facebook was my way to find out what's going on. The friends part is nothing to me.
But what is of value is pages with stuff for sale, or community events, or businesses.
More and more, bars, restaurants, etc, don't have a website anymore. They have a Facebook page.
The only way to find out what band is playing, or something like that, is looking an establishments Facebook page to find out.
I'm not looking for work. But you can find a better job on the local jobs pages on Facebook, than you can on Craigslist.

As far as the friends side, trust me, Facebook is not the way I keep in touch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic