Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mike Austerman Was Just Interviewed On Local 4

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
CK-722

Mike Austerman Was Just Interviewed On Local 4

Post by CK-722 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Mike Austerman was just on WDIV-TV Channel 4. He was being interviewed (~6:08 PM EST) about later starting times in Utica Schools.

In case any of you youngsters don't remember, Mike started Michiguide, which had an early Michigan Broadcasting Message Board. He passed the torch to MW, when he stopped moderating the Wild West poster personalities present at that time on the board. There is no direct connection between the two boards, just that MW's board filled the vacancy, and developed its own Wild West posters, many of them the same ones, of course.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

SixPlusOne

Re: Mike Austerman Was Just Interviewed On Local 4

Post by SixPlusOne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm
Mike Austerman was just on WDIV-TV Channel 4. He was being interviewed (~6:08 PM EST) about later starting times in Utica Schools.
Courtesy: WDIV-TV

Utica Community Schools Explore Possibility Of Pushing Back Start Times

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/uti ... tart-times
CK-722 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm
In case any of you youngsters don't remember, Mike started Michiguide, which had an early Michigan Broadcasting Message Board.
MICHIGUIDE

http://www.michiguide.com

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Wow I haven't gone on michiguide in years!

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 am

CK - 722, don't forget about the Michigan Transmitter forum! .

As I recall, Mike didn't want to deal with the chores of moderating a message forum any longer. He was receiving emails from whiny station managers and personalities who evidently didn't like criticism, and in some cases, even received legal threats. Granted, in some instances, targets of negative posts had a perfectly legitimate right to complain. People were using the site to air Malcom Maddox-like dirty laundry. There was no way to tell which allegations were credible and which were merely defamatory.

The Transmitter came along and used identical forum software to Michiguide. After a while, due to pressure from outside parties I believe, the owner of the Transmitter began heavily moderating messages to the site. At the suggestion of a few folks, I started the Buzzboard as an alternate site.

The Transmitter was a very nicely designed site and received a lot of traffic; the first incarnation of the Buzzboard saw little traffic. I personally posted on both Michiguide and the Transmitter all the time; I enjoyed both sites immensely. Eventually, the owner of the Transmitter decided to call it quits (he was getting sick of dealing with the same B.S. that Mike had to deal with), and that's when the Buzzboard's popularity took off.

By the way, I was still an undergrad in college when I created the Buzzboard! LOL

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 am

My memories are a bit different from my experience.
I started out in forums at the old WDFN sports forum. Somebody in there pointed me to this place I joined in late 2007.
At that time I poked in the Michiguide for radio and TV info but didn't even realize it had a forum.
In April 2008 somebody from here started another forum...the Atrium whose goal was a more civil discourse than what this place was at the time. After it shut down in September of 2009 I discovered Michiguide had a forum that was rather dead. It picked up considerably after the Atrium closed as people migrated there. It was a little while later Mike closed it because it got too busy for him to micromanage.
Also somewhere in that time frame WDFN closed its forum and ROBINGE HOOD opened with the same database of members.
It lasted 2-3 years I think.

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 am
In April 2008 somebody from here started another forum...the Atrium whose goal was a more civil discourse than what this place was at the time. After it shut down in September of 2009 I discovered Michiguide had a forum that was rather dead. It picked up considerably after the Atrium closed as people migrated there. It was a little while later Mike closed it because it got too busy for him to micromanage.
Also somewhere in that time frame WDFN closed its forum and ROBINGE HOOD opened with the same database of members.
Robinge Hood seemed less of a forum and more of a clubhouse where abject juvenilia prevailed -- I left. The Atrium was great, but alas, short-lived -- probably too civilized for some.

As expected, Mr. Austerman acquitted himself well in the interview. :smokin

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 957

Post by Deleted User 957 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 am

:rollin To quote the late, great Dick Enberg, "Oh My!" It's true what they say... the internet is forever!

You guys are all right on from what I remember too about the history of all those message boards, especially MW's post.

As far as the main Michiguide site, there were a lot of things that took me away from maintaining that, 90% of them being family driven.

The other 10% was discouragement because I couldn't keep up with all the damn FM translators that came online, the creation of ad-blocking browser plugins, and the fact that nearly every radio and TV station decided they wanted total control of news about themselves. Gone are the days when the good people that work in radio and TV are free to discuss "insider" info without the very real fear of losing their gigs (the few that are left, when it comes to radio at least).

Even the old school media has surrendered to today's world; nowadays when a high profile radio station changes its format, they're fortunate to get a even a paragraph in a newspaper or on their web sites.

Great job MW by the way in keeping the lights on here and keeping the Buzzboard as a viable place for media discussion - and all on your own dime and time. Kudos, sir!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:52 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 am
Robinge Hood seemed less of a forum and more of a clubhouse where abject juvenilia prevailed -- I left. The Atrium was great, but alas, short-lived -- probably too civilized for some.
Agree on both counts. I thought Robinge Hood started out reasonably well but did turn in to what you described rather quickly . I found myself sort of an "odd man out" probably due to my age being 20-30 years older than some of the active players. Oddly I am Facebook pals with a few of those guys today although only 1-2 of them do I ever interact with.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:57 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:38 pm

I saw Mike was running for Utica Schools and then dropped out. I wonder why.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:37 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 am
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 am
Oh man, I forgot all about those sites. I do remember one being run out of Minnesota that was extremely hostile.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:58 am

Speaking of Old message boards does anyone know if Keith Mitford is still around? He ran the Vintage Detroit TV message board until it ran out of steam, (I guess you can only talk about Bob McNair, The Scene and The Ghoul so many times.) It also had spam issues.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 am

It’s amazing to think that some of us have been part of this place for awhile.... and no matter what seem to keep coming back for more ;-)

I was on RobInge for a minute and forgot about it until just now.

Things have changed and evolved.... obviously. :-)

I haven’t been on Michiguide in a bit either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:52 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:38 pm
I saw Mike was running for Utica Schools and then dropped out. I wonder why.
Maybe he figured out it would be a bigger headache than running an Internet Forum. :blink

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Probably! He would have experience though!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic