Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
fuzzpower

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 pm

With the latest round of closings, how many remain in the state? Only one I can think of is Warren (10/Dequindre).

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:48 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:46 pm
With the latest round of closings, how many remain in the state? Only one I can think of is Warren (10/Dequindre).
According to an article I read, there will be 3 left in Michigan after the closings

If they’re closing the Grayling and Oscoda locations where they have NO COMPETITION (Dollar General doesn’t count), THEY ARE DONE. They won’t be around by Memorial Day next year...

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Grayling Kmart is closing this year. Saw a couple of articles on it. I think that lot would be good for a Family Farm & Home.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 am

Marshall was still open when I drove by a month ago.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Marine City was still open as of this past weekend.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:20 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:10 pm
Marine City was still open as of this past weekend.
Meijer on 26 Mile killed that location.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Warren and Waterford are closing, leaving Marshall as the last Kmart in the state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:33 pm
Warren and Waterford are closing, leaving Marshall as the last Kmart in the state.
I recently visited a Rural King (the Honey Boo Boo of retail) that was housed in a closed Super K-Mart. What other repurposing are you seeing?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Need more Rural Kings in Michigan. I only know of 2 locations in the state and I've been to the one in Niles. When I go to Illinois, Rural King is all over.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:44 am

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 532737001/

The 10 Mile & Dequindre building will probably be left to rot, much like Northland Center in Southfield and Summit Place Mall in Waterford. It is in a terrible location. The store is surrounded by industrial property uses plus the vacant Hazel Park raceway. To the north are some of the sleaziest, filthiest hotels in Metro Detroit.

Unless the indoor flea market down the street wants the building or Kroger wants to build a larger store to replace the 12 Mile & Dequindre store (highly unlikely), I don't know who the hell would want the site.

The Waterford site on busy Dixie Highway in the heart of Waterford's retail corridor and also a stone's throw from Clarkston should be more desirable.

I do think Rural King will build more stores in Michigan with time.

Blain's Farm & Fleet is another.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:32 pm

I've been seeing advertisements on TV for Blain's Farm & Fleet in Traverse City. I'd really like to have some Rural Kings up here in the north country. The Kmart building in Grayling would be a good spot. I have heard Family Farm and Home tossed around for Grayling but who knows...

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:50 pm

The ex KMart in Madison Heights is now a BJs. Westland’s turned into a U-Haul. I think the original in Garden City is still vacant.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:44 am
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 532737001/

The 10 Mile & Dequindre building will probably be left to rot, much like Northland Center in Southfield and Summit Place Mall in Waterford. It is in a terrible location. The store is surrounded by industrial property uses plus the vacant Hazel Park raceway. To the north are some of the sleaziest, filthiest hotels in Metro Detroit.

Unless the indoor flea market down the street wants the building or Kroger wants to build a larger store to replace the 12 Mile & Dequindre store (highly unlikely), I don't know who the hell would want the site.

The Waterford site on busy Dixie Highway in the heart of Waterford's retail corridor and also a stone's throw from Clarkston should be more desirable.

I do think Rural King will build more stores in Michigan with time.

Blain's Farm & Fleet is another.
I could see either Meijer, Target, or even Walmart go on the Waterford site. I am very surprised that neither of the three have a location anywhere near Clarkston.

Speaking of Blain's, I think one of the former Kmarts in Jackson became a Blain's.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:02 pm

Grayling needs something to replace Kmart but the leaders of the city seem anti big-box store. If you don't have something people will just go out of town to spend their dollars. They are only hurting the community.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Kenneth City FL. I believe it's their last store in the state. Every year when we go back I expect it to be gone. But it keeps hanging on. Looks like they haven't done any updating since 1960.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic