Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Calvert DeForest

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm

ftballfan wrote:Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.
When a store goes out of business, the inventory is usually sold to a liquidation company for pennies on the dollar, and they take it from there. At that point, Kmart (or insert retailer name here) is out of the picture. The liquidator hires any remaining employees they need to complete the liquidation and puts them on their payroll. Any security services are also contracted by the liquidator. It's a whole different atmosphere. The liquidator is only concerned with moving product out the door and scoring as much profit as they can before they close up shop. The presentation of the store is really of no concern to them. The only thing "Kmart" about the store during liquidation is the sign on the front.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

Milk

Post by Milk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Let's not forget the closeout stores like Big Lots that a lot of unsold inventory is sold at for dirt cheap.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 am

And now for something we hope you'll really like:

jry

Post by jry » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:35 pm

I'll never forget the time we had to sue K Mart for disturbing our business. All of their attorneys show up in really nice suits. One of the things they said is that K Mart is the only store you need. I commented that i didn't know K Mart sold Brooks Brothers suits.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:27 am

jry wrote:I'll never forget the time we had to sue K Mart for disturbing our business. All of their attorneys show up in really nice suits. One of the things they said is that K Mart is the only store you need. I commented that i didn't know K Mart sold Brooks Brothers suits.
They really said that? Wow! Talk about brass cajones!

jry

Post by jry » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 pm

[quote="Calvert DeForest"][quote="jry"]I'll never forget the time we had to sue K Mart for disturbing our business. All of their attorneys show up in really nice suits. One of the things they said is that K Mart is the only store you need. I commented that i didn't know K Mart sold Brooks Brothers suits.[/quote]

They really said that? Wow! Talk about brass cajones![/quote]

They sure did. This was in 93 or 94. BTW, they quickly settled out of court, even before mediation.

ADD in TC

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!p

Post by ADD in TC » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 am

Just read on dailyjobcuts.com that the Taverse City KMart along with 2 others in the state are slated to close by September.I'm assuming by Traverse City they mean the one in Garfield Township.

Milk

Post by Milk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:56 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 am
Just read on dailyjobcuts.com that the Taverse City KMart along with 2 others in the state are slated to close by September.I'm assuming by Traverse City they mean the one in Garfield Township.
It is! Wow. TC won't have a Kmart anymore. Sad.

What's even sadder is that it'll be a H*** blow to Cherryland Center, formerly Cherryland Mall. They've struggled even after it converted into an outdoor shopping center.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Milk wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:56 am

What's even sadder is that it'll be a H*** blow to Cherryland Center, formerly Cherryland Mall. They've struggled even after it converted into an outdoor shopping center.
Never went to Cherryland after they converted it. Last time I was in the mall was after Grand Traverse opened. It was a ghost town.

jry

Post by jry » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:22 pm

We hit our local K when it held it's going out of business sale. We made out, really well. It went out in December and who cannot use Christmas Decorations and stuff like that?

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Kmart should just stop the bleeding wounds and end it. They are pretty much just a joke now. I'm really surprised the Grayling store hasn't gotten the ax yet. I would imagine most people around here shop in Gaylord and Houghton Lake anyways.

++++

Post by ++++ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm

My K Mart stories:

In the 1980's a friend of mine had a family member who was a KMart district manager and made $300K, back then!

Years ago, went to Kearney,NE. There was a store of each corner. Hilltop shopping area if I remember. Walmart, Shopko, KMart and Target.
Guess who had the highest prices, and the dirtiest store? 1995 or so.

In 2001 or so, I saw the beginning of many, many closings for KMart. I have followed this through the last two decades and KMart is hemorrhaging.

Houghton, Marquette, Sault Ste. Marie, Racine,WI, Winona,MN Jamestown,ND are stores that are no longer opened. KMart in some cases has stuff way better than Walmart. Clothing is an example. Different brands. Jamestown,ND had Sears AND KMart as anchor stores at the Buffalo Mall.

A guy I know is a jobber for supermarkets. ("Put our product on the shelves at eye level.") He says "it is the Walmart effect. Price, price, price."

I still like KMart. The local Walmart is where all the dregs of society go. I cannot believe the stuff in local crime reports at Walmart!

Eddie Lampert. Shame on you for letting Sears/KMart die. Not a ShopYourWay member.

Too, I am thankful for the many links that have lead me to a little more knowledge. DailyJobCuts.com was one. Thank you! Nice discussion.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Milk wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:56 am
ADD in TC wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 am

There will only be two left in the Traverse City TV market (Charlevoix and Grayling). Big Rapids, Cadillac, Gaylord, Ludington, and Petoskey all lost their Kmart during the early 2000s bankruptcy. This current round of closings (which will likely end up in bankruptcy) has already closed Acme, Cheboygan, Houghton Lake, Manistee, Sault Ste. Marie, and Traverse City.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:46 pm

I am really surprised our Kmart in Grayling is still hanging on. Personally I think it's only a matter of time. Houghton Lake & Gaylord were the closest Kmarts in my area that closed. It would be interesting to see what happens in Grayling if and when Kmart does close. I'm not sure if it would be replaced by something else. I think Meijer and Walmart are too big for Grayling but it would be nice. Perhaps a Shopko would be feasible. But with ARAUCO coming to town along with lots of jobs the latter could be possible. I hardly ever shop locally...lack of variety and high prices are the chief reasons.

Milk

Post by Milk » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 pm

The last time I was at Grayling's Kmart - and this had to be over 20 years ago - it was very outdated and unorganized. I think it was one of the last Kmarts to convert to their "Big K" format since it was smaller than most Kmarts.

++++

Post by ++++ » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 pm

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-2 ... bankruptcy

Today, on WBBM Noon Business report, it was said "...the eventual liquidation of the company."

Sad. Sears/K-Mart. Mssrs Sears, Roebuck and Kresge must be rolling in their graves.

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 pm

++++ wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 pm
Sad. Sears/K-Mart. Mssrs Sears, Roebuck and Kresge must be rolling in their graves.
I predict James Cash Penney will be joining the rolling in the not so distant future.
It's not been as publicized as Kmart has, but JCP's been closing stores at a steady rate the last few years. Since 2014, they've closed over 200 stores and laid off or bought out over 10,000 employees. (figures from Wikipedia).

++++

Post by ++++ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 am

I always laugh when the media reports it as "JC Penny" while showing the correct "JC Penney" signage.

Houghton's JC Penney is in its final days. Marquette's closed a year ago or so. Escanaba at Delta Mall is toast.

Sears in Milwaukee Southridge now added to closing list. Kohls earlier (in May) announced they are leaving Southridge. 2 of 5 anchors gone.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/ne ... south.html

48125er

Post by 48125er » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:52 pm

++++ wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 am
I always laugh when the media reports it as "JC Penny" while showing the correct "JC Penney" signage.

Houghton's JC Penney is in its final days. Marquette's closed a year ago or so. Escanaba at Delta Mall is toast.

Sears in Milwaukee Southridge now added to closing list. Kohls earlier (in May) announced they are leaving Southridge. 2 of 5 anchors gone.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/ne ... south.html
I went to the one in Houghton back in 2010 on a weekend at 3pm, I was the only customer in the whole store.

going back to Kmart, Before the ones in North grand rapids and cutlerville closed, the Greenville store had maybe 5 cars in the parking lot even at peak times, now its 15-20.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:51 am

They should have had employees park their cars in the main lot. You don't want people to think it is closed.

I learned this as long lad at my parents business. We always parked vehicles out front. It works.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic