Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
NS8401
Posts: 7388
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Bryce wrote:on Feb 15th, I'm going to visit a local Walmart. What do you want to bet I can take a time stamped photograph of a snow shovel and post it here?
I'll bite. How about a beer?

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Bryce wrote:on Feb 15th, I'm going to visit a local Walmart. What do you want to bet I can take a time stamped photograph of a snow shovel and post it here?
You may very well be able to but thats not my point. My points are:
1. retailers are always jumping ahead of the seasons. What do you want to bet I can take a picture of some short sleeve shirts in Marshalls on Feb 15?
2. seasonal stuff often doesn't get reordered when it runs out. What do want to bet that if a local Walmart runs out of snow shovels on Feb 16 they may not get any more in this snow season ?

I am not defending K-Mart. I am not saying they were not mismanaged, but I am saying your snow shovel incident may or may not have been a sign of that mismanagement. Its possible that K-Marts problem wasn't running out of snow shovels in February rather it was NOT running out of lawn mowers in September. A lot of retailers buy a set number of seasonal items and when they are gone they are gone.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

NS8401
Posts: 7388
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by NS8401 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:47 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Bryce wrote:on Feb 15th, I'm going to visit a local Walmart. What do you want to bet I can take a time stamped photograph of a snow shovel and post it here?
You may very well be able to but thats not my point. My points are:
1. retailers are always jumping ahead of the seasons. What do you want to bet I can take a picture of some short sleeve shirts in Marshalls on Feb 15?
2. seasonal stuff often doesn't get reordered when it runs out. What do want to bet that if a local Walmart runs out of snow shovels on Feb 16 they may not get any more in this snow season ?

I am not defending K-Mart. I am not saying they were not mismanaged, but I am saying your snow shovel incident may or may not have been a sign of that mismanagement. Its possible that K-Marts problem wasn't running out of snow shovels in February rather it was NOT running out of lawn mowers in September. A lot of retailers buy a set number of seasonal items and when they are gone they are gone.
That's exactly correct having worked in retail. You don't reorder snow shovels in February. Valentines stuff was going up on New Years Eve this year in a Kroger I was in. My favorite is a Reese's peanut butter eggs display for Easter put out the week BEFORE Christmas in the Kroger in Novi a few years ago. Gee that was a tad early don't you think? But they got it in so out it went.

Milk
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by Milk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:47 pm

TC Talks wrote:
As for Acme, that building will sell very quickly. Acme is a HOT location these days and despite being hidden on the trees, it is a great location.
It was once the home of the infamous Tanz Haus nightclub.

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:42 am

Bryce wrote:on Feb 15th, I'm going to visit a local Walmart. What do you want to bet I can take a time stamped photograph of a snow shovel and post it here?
Absolutely! Walmart can afford to stock more inventory. They can also afford to take depreciation on the inventory they don't sell. If you asked for a snow shovel in May, chances are they'd have a few in the back and would be more than willing to sell you one at a deep discount just to get it off the books.

No doubt Kmart missed the boat on expansion and hasn't kept up with other big-box retailers like Walmart and Meijer. They had a new lease on life after emerging from bankruptcy and squandered the opportunity. Swallowing Sears was not what I would call a smart move. Taking on that kind of debt-load after re-organizing existing debt is like jumping out of the frying pan just to hop back in. Now both brands are paying the price.
Happy ADVENT!

kager
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by kager » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm

I can see on the faces of the staffers @ the stores I've visited that they know their employer is circling the drain. Good, nice people, in most cases, but nothing going on. What the stores have ditched as far as product, and what they've brought in (when they bother to restock - lots of empty shelves) to replace it are another indicator of corporate gray skin.

About the only thing that is even worse than the in-store experience at a KaMeapART is the online one. Other brick and & mortars have figured out a way stay relevant with online sales, Ship to Store, marketplace, etc. KM and Sears online has technical, speed and usability issues; it's as if that side of the house is only there to take up digital space. IDK the numbers, but would guess that only a tiny fraction of already abysmal sales numbers come from the online side of the house... Even grandma shops online these days...
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

SoupySez
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:48 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by SoupySez » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:48 pm

kager wrote:I can see on the faces of the staffers @ the stores I've visited that they know their employer is circling the drain. Good, nice people, in most cases, but nothing going on. What the stores have ditched as far as product, and what they've brought in (when they bother to restock - lots of empty shelves) to replace it are another indicator of corporate gray skin.

About the only thing that is even worse than the in-store experience at a KaMeapART is the online one. Other brick and & mortars have figured out a way stay relevant with online sales, Ship to Store, marketplace, etc. KM and Sears online has technical, speed and usability issues; it's as if that side of the house is only there to take up digital space. IDK the numbers, but would guess that only a tiny fraction of already abysmal sales numbers come from the online side of the house... Even grandma shops online these days...
At least Kmart and Sears have merchandise on their websites that you can browse through. Ever try finding merchandise on Meijer online? Absolute worst. You can't find anything on their website other than their weekly ads and their M-perks coupons.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.

Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

NS8401
Posts: 7388
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.

Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!
7 mile and Farmington in Livonia...
Wayne Road in Westland...

The three being closed (Plymouth, Garden City and Roseville) will take a chunk out of that. Macy's is closing stores at Eastlamd and Westland malls... I wonder what goes in there?

User avatar
mtburb
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Wyandotte

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by mtburb » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:31 pm

NS8401 wrote:Macy's is closing stores at Eastlamd and Westland malls... I wonder what goes in there?
Eastland: that closing will definitely be the final blow to that place, they themselves just lost Sears five years ago, in fact, they've been bleeding stores since the turn of the millennium. I wouldn't be surprised if Target announces the closure of their Eastland store too, cause once Eastland loses those two, they might as well pull a Northland (which coincidentally had those same two anchors of Macy's and Target and once they both closed Northland just flat-out died) and announce that they're closing the entire mall except possibly Shopper's World and Burlington Coat Factory (which would become the only two anchors left once Target leaves, not counting the Lowe's and Home Depot stores in the parking lot).

Westland: it's a bit better off than Eastland (they're soon getting an H&M) and they can possibly find a way to fill that space quick enough, but it does have a h-u-g-e (using dashes because the word itself, which is VERY common, somehow is censored on this forum due to a squabble involving some sort of radio personality with that name) disadvantage in that it has no freeway access and is a mile north of Ford Road-in fact, head south from Westland a mile, turn right on Ford Road and once you cross the CSX overpass and continuing well into Canton, you will see every single retailer that has a presence in the Midwest have a presence along Ford Road-and with direct freeway access too!

Also announced today is The Limited is closing all of it's brick-and-mortar stores, among them six in the Detroit area.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th) and one night in September 2017 (22nd), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:40 am

I was always surprised that Sears never opened anchor stores in either the Lansing or Meridian Malls. Frandor has always been the sole Lansing location, and although that store has done well over the years, a mall anchor store would probably have been a decent complement back in the day.
Happy ADVENT!

User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:58 pm

I believe the Kmart in Shelby Township is still open for business. Could be wrong...
"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

SoupySez
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:48 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by SoupySez » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:12 pm

NS8401 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.
Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!
7 mile and Farmington in Livonia...
Wayne Road in Westland...

The three being closed (Plymouth, Garden City and Roseville) will take a chunk out of that. Macy's is closing stores at Eastlamd and Westland malls... I wonder what goes in there?
The Westland store at Wayne Rd and Cherry Hill will be closing at the same time as the Garden City store. They're already liquidating merchandise. I was there yesterday, items from 10-30% off to start with.

NS8401
Posts: 7388
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by NS8401 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:40 pm

SoupySez wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.
Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!
7 mile and Farmington in Livonia...
Wayne Road in Westland...

The three being closed (Plymouth, Garden City and Roseville) will take a chunk out of that. Macy's is closing stores at Eastlamd and Westland malls... I wonder what goes in there?
The Westland store at Wayne Rd and Cherry Hill will be closing at the same time as the Garden City store. They're already liquidating merchandise. I was there yesterday, items from 10-30% off to start with.
That one had the signs updated inside and out too... usually that's a sign of keeping a unit...

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4555
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Eastland: that closing will definitely be the final blow to that place, they themselves just lost Sears five years ago, in fact, they've been bleeding stores since the turn of the millennium. I wouldn't be surprised if Target announces the closure of their Eastland store too, cause once Eastland loses those two, they might as well pull a Northland (which coincidentally had those same two anchors of Macy's and Target and once they both closed Northland just flat-out died) and announce that they're closing the entire mall except possibly Shopper's World and Burlington Coat Factory (which would become the only two anchors left once Target leaves, not counting the Lowe's and Home Depot stores in the parking lot).
I agree that Eastland Center in its current form is living on borrowed time. The Macy's store there was a total dump the one time I set foot in it about six years ago. I walked out the door less than five minutes later and haven't returned to the mall since.

In terms of the site in general, I am split on whether it becomes another Northland or Summit Place doomsday story, if it will ultimately have a bright future a la Tel-Twelve, or if it will fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum - similar to Universal Mall in Warren (i.e. redeveloped but poorly configured, and therefore, partially vacant).
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:I believe the Kmart in Shelby Township is still open for business.
There's also one on Garfield south of Canal Rd. in Clinton Township.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by craig11152 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:42 am

about the only use I ever had for K-Mart was when I worked construction they had some blue jeans and work boots I liked for the price. I did a lot of roofing so I went through jeans and boots fast spending all day on essentially 10 grit sand paper.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

ftballfan
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by ftballfan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.

Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!
There was also a Kmart in Grand Rapids (closed now) that wasn't mentioned: 68th Street at US 131. That one along with Plainfield were the last two to close in GR. Muskegon is also losing their Kmart. Kmarts in Greenville and Hastings are safe (for now)

Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.

ADD in TC
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by ADD in TC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:45 am

Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.
Took a quick 5 minute detour into the soon to be closed Acme KMart.Will try to get there again soon.As I mentioned earlier this store is very clean though the cracks in the floors were a little worse then I remembed.There was a security guard checking people out at the exit.

I for one think that building and the nearby supermarket look good from the highway being behind the small hills and trees,and having small signs.Who the hell wants this area to look like any town USA?

At first thought it seems like property and building would make a good location for an auto dealership.

Milk
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by Milk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:01 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.
Took a quick 5 minute detour into the soon to be closed Acme KMart.Will try to get there again soon.As I mentioned earlier this store is very clean though the cracks in the floors were a little worse then I remembed.There was a security guard checking people out at the exit.

I for one think that building and the nearby supermarket look good from the highway being behind the small hills and trees,and having small signs.Who the hell wants this area to look like any town USA?

At first thought it seems like property and building would make a good location for an auto dealership.
The former K-Mart in Cadillac is now a Fox Motors. I remembered when Acme had a Mercedes dealership for years, which is now over by the other Meijer in TC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests