All new acct registrations in the queue as of 6/16 at 8:10a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
NS8401

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by NS8401 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:47 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:20 pm
audiophile wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:47 pm
I was disappointed when Maytag was sold.

Whirlpool and GE always seemed cheaply made to me - at least in last decade or two.
Most ALL appliances are cheaply made today. For two reasons, they can keep the price point lower, and then when it wears out in 8 to 12 years, they can sell you a new one.

Things weren't always this way. I have a refrigerator in my garage that was made in 1955 and it still works as well as the day it was made. (I do have to defrost the freezer on occasion) I had to replace the one in my kitchen after 9 years of use.
Planned obsolescence...

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:46 am

Things weren't always this way. I have a refrigerator in my garage that was made in 1955 and it still works as well as the day it was made. (I do have to defrost the freezer on occasion) I had to replace the one in my kitchen after 9 years of use.
And what do you use this fridge for? :blink

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:53 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:46 am

Energy drinks. It's very important to replenish the electrolytes in your system on a daily basis. :blink

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Most ALL appliances are cheaply made today. For two reasons, they can keep the price point lower, and then when it wears out in 8 to 12 years, they can sell you a new one.
Exactly.

I've got it on good authority that budget & mid-range refrigerator manufacturers use parts & material to achieve an average life span of 10 years. If you spend a lot of money on a new fridge, I suspect - or at least hope - that life span would rise to 15+ years.

The freezer seems to be the compartment that craps out soonest, for whatever reason.

I just had to replace a fridge (one I inherited from the home seller) that was only 11 years old. The fridge part of the unit was fine, and the freezer still kept decent temperature, but the icemaker went to crap on me.

In my prior house, a GE fridge of 1996-ish vintage lasted until 2009. To be fair, I think a power surge may have ruined that one.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 pm

but the icemaker went to crap on me.
Nine times out of ten, when the ice maker quits working a $32.00 to $36.00 valve is the culprit.

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Possible certainly. Given the age of the fridge and the fact the front of it was badly scratched (prior homeowner put magnets on the stainless steel doors), I said "screw it!" and bought a new one.

I wanted a French door fridge anyway; the old one was a side by side with a narrow freezer.

Memo to 106.7: Twenty-One Pilots, Imagine Dragons, FUN and Fall Out Boy all S-U-C-K!!! Stop playing those shitty (boy) bands, and maybe you'll end your streak of piss poor ratings!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:53 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:46 am

Energy drinks. It's very important to replenish the electrolytes in your system on a daily basis. :blink

Energy Drinks

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:04 pm

Well yeah. Chock full of energy drinks. Except for those cans of Coke. That stuff is pure poison I tell ya.

Realiy need to upgrade the coffee too. :razz

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:15 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:16 pm
Possible certainly. Given the age of the fridge and the fact the front of it was badly scratched (prior homeowner put magnets on the stainless steel doors), I said "screw it!" and bought a new one.

I wanted a French door fridge anyway; the old one was a side by side with a narrow freezer.
Bet it made the wife happy too. Win/Win.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 pm
Energy Drinks
That is an impressive fridge. I could never pull that off at my house.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:31 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:26 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 pm
Energy Drinks
That is an impressive fridge. I could never pull that off at my house.
Mama gets the kitchen, we get the garage!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Sears Holdings just announced that the Kmart stores in Battle Creek, Clinton Township, and Mount Pleasant will be closing their doors early next year. Also, they are closing the last Toledo store (in Oregon on Navarre), which means that Sears Holdings will be pulling completely out of the Toledo market (the last Sears there closed earlier this year)

http://www.toledoblade.com/Retail/2017/ ... nuary.html
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/1 ... store.html

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 pm

Honestly I am really surprised our tiny Grayling store hasn't folded yet. I think its only a matter of time.

Milk

Post by Milk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:59 am

TheForce wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 pm
Honestly I am really surprised our tiny Grayling store hasn't folded yet. I think its only a matter of time.
Then again, Grayling doesn't have a Walmart or Meijer.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 am

Nope, we don't but they aren't that far away either. I rarely go into the Kmart here and opt to drive up to Gaylord.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Sears closed down all of their stores in Canada last month.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Many of the towns that will still have a Kmart in Michigan after this round of closings don't have Walmart or Meijer nearby.

With these closings, Kmart will be down to roughly 440 stores nationwide. They had over 2,000 stores prior to the 2002 bankruptcy. Kmart's struggles have been in large part due to corporate greed and unwillingness to put $$ in stores over the last 20-30 years.

I think Sears Holdings files for Chapter 11 (or even Chapter 7) within a year from now. That will be such a fall from the 1980s, when Sears and Kmart were #1 and #2 in retail sales.

Otter Mii-kun

Post by Otter Mii-kun » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 pm

It's so sad how two American corporate icons (Kmart and Sears) have been going down the toilet for so many years now. I'm only pushing 30, but I remember as a kid that Kmart was THE place to shop at for many things that my mom and I needed.

https://www.thelayoff.com/sears-holdings?sort=active
While it's sad that so many companies are laying off massive amounts of employees despite Wall Street claiming how healthy the economy has been over the past several years, I actually have been finding the threads in the forum I linked above to be ironically entertaining.
The thread at https://www.thelayoff.com/t/Q7HA4tx is such incredible gold! The only reason I can think of legitimately hiring somebody only to end up closing down a short time later would be to prepare the store for liquidators to take over and wind that location down.

On TheLayoff, there has also been talk of "stealth" closings, where stores are slated to close without being included in a company-released list. The St. Clair Shores Kmart, despite being one of the top performing stores for the chain, has reportedly been sold by Seritage Growth Properties (Eddie Lampert's real estate trust of which many Kmart and Sears locations were spun off to), and will be demolished for a Kroger. Clearly, Mr. Lampert only cares about the real estate. That's what you get from an entity that is little more than a hedge fund disguised as a retailer.
ftballfan wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:35 pm
With these closings, Kmart will be down to roughly 440 stores nationwide. They had over 2,000 stores prior to the 2002 bankruptcy. Kmart's struggles have been in large part due to corporate greed and unwillingness to put $$ in stores over the last 20-30 years.

I think Sears Holdings files for Chapter 11 (or even Chapter 7) within a year from now. That will be such a fall from the 1980s, when Sears and Kmart were #1 and #2 in retail sales.
You're FAR from the only one who sees a bankruptcy filing by Sears Holdings as imminent. I've been expecting a BK filing for nearly three years now, especially when, upon a visit to the Vienna Township Kmart in early 2015, I noticed that the video game section had been removed and all remaining gaming items were being clearanced. After I got home that day, I looked up the issue, and found various forum posts saying that Kmart was indeed quitting video game sales, and that the main reason was that they weren't paying the vendors. Subsequent visits to that store revealed that the electronics section as a whole has been slimming down over time, very likely also due to vendor issues.

All in all, I'm very baffled that a bankruptcy filing hasn't already occurred. If any other company was operating with such massive losses and such issues paying their bills, they would almost certainly be dragged into bankruptcy court by their creditors.

Speaking of unwillingness to invest in the stores over many years, boy does that show in lots of Kmarts, past and present. Roofs that leak like there's no tomorrow and floors that are so badly cracked that it looks like an earthquake hit them are two of the biggest issues I can think of that are typical to the chain.

Isn't it nice how deregulation has brought us such oversized and dangerously overleveraged broadcast owners? (Yes, I'm looking at YOU, Sinclair, Nexstar, Cume-U-Less, and iFart!)

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:36 pm

https://www.thelayoff.com/t/Q3Q0SdU - People in this thread are thinking Sears goes Chapter 7 with Lampert benefiting big time as he's the primary lien holder.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:31 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic