All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
NS8401

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by NS8401 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 pm
Kenneth City FL. a suburb of St. Petes. The store is still open and advertising for help wanted. They can't be too serious about recruiting, or they'd try offering incentives like a dental plan. The woman who served me had no teeth.

Inside, the store doesn't appear to have been updated since 1960.

Mid 90’s but good point... Kmart will be gone soon...

Otter Mii-kun

Post by Otter Mii-kun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:25 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Kenneth City FL. a suburb of St. Petes. The store is still open and advertising for help wanted. They can't be too serious about recruiting, or they'd try offering incentives like a dental plan. The woman who served me had no teeth.

(snip)

Pretty amazing since the "NOW HIRING" banner has the pre-Sears merger Kmart logo (from 1990) and also looks quite a bit faded. Pretty lazy to just leave an old banner up there that could otherwise be easily taken down, but then again, that's essentially how Kmart is.

Besides, a dental plan sounds like one of the last things a nearly-bankrupt company such as Sears Holdings (No matter how you look at it, a filing is not a matter of if, but when. Someday, Eddie will run out of financial levers to pull.) would offer to their store workers.

Isn't it nice how deregulation has brought us such oversized and dangerously overleveraged broadcast owners? (Yes, I'm looking at YOU, Sinclair, Nexstar, Cume-U-Less, and iFart!)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 am

From a merchandising standpoint and fixtures standpoint, that Kmart actually appears to be in far better shape than most. All of the overhead fluorescent lighting appears to be fully functional, the floor tile is in good shape, and 95%+ of the ceiling tiles are both (a) actually present and (b) of matching color & pattern!

The merchandise looks to be stocked and organized in a neat, orderly fashion. (The only exception is an unzipped comforter bag.)

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 pm

At least Kmart did put their most recent logo on the front of the building! Many of them that are still open still have the Big Kmart sign and most of the ones that have closed had the Big Kmart sign until the end. Manistee, which closed in late 2016, still had the Big Kmart sign on the building, but had the new (current) logo on the road sign.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Otter Mii-kun wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:25 am
Turkeytop wrote:

(snip)

Pretty amazing since the "NOW HIRING" banner has the pre-Sears merger Kmart logo (from 1990) and also looks quite a bit faded. Pretty lazy to just leave an old banner up there that could otherwise be easily taken down, but then again, that's essentially how Kmart is.

Besides, a dental plan sounds like one of the last things a nearly-bankrupt company such as Sears Holdings (No matter how you look at it, a filing is not a matter of if, but when. Someday, Eddie will run out of financial levers to pull.) would offer to their store workers.
I think Eddie is starting to run out of levers to pull, as he let go over 200 corporate workers last week at HQ and is planning on letting go another 100-150 in a few weeks

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:48 am

Evidently Sears CEO Eddie Lampert is going to buy Kenmore using his hedge fund in order to raise cash after failing to find anyone who would make an offer for it as well as the Sears Home Improvement and Parts Direct businesses... he’s trying to stave off bankruptcy but it’s inevitable... they also just announced late last month the closings of another 23 Sears and 2 Kmarts but this time none are in Michigan.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-ceo- ... 1524490042

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri May 04, 2018 9:52 am

I would guess the dental plan is a piece of string. One end ties to the doorknob.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am

Interesting.

Kmart apparently is doing the best it can, given the way people shop and the competition from Wal-Mart and others. With the benefit of seeing past history, some changes could have been made to make the stores more contemporary and appeal to younger shoppers. I'm not sure any of that would have made any substantial difference. They were one of the original 'big boxes', and there is a 'season' to everything and everyone.

There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with Sears, and they are all but dead. Sears and KMart were packed and bustling 25 years ago.

I enjoyed shopping at the local K-Mart until they closed it last September....the prices were competitive, and the 'points' rewards plan was always giving me cents off on gasoline in town or cash back applied to purchases.

If they closed outright as a chain, there would be postings here from the leftists stating how bad it is for the 'workers', blah, blah, blah. They struggle to stay open, and offer people what they can in order to hire workers, and they are 'bad' for that as well.

Target closed in Canada for similar reasons. Brick and mortar retailers everywhere are struggling to stay alive. When it comes down to Wal-Mart and Amazon, and there is actually COMPETITION for the lousy jobs at Wal-Mart, perhaps some will look back at these days of KMart trying to do the best they could somewhat fondly.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:57 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 am
Interesting.

Kmart apparently is doing the best it can, given the way people shop and the competition from Wal-Mart and others. With the benefit of seeing past history, some changes could have been made to make the stores more contemporary and appeal to younger shoppers. I'm not sure any of that would have made any substantial difference. They were one of the original 'big boxes', and there is a 'season' to everything and everyone.

There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with Sears, and they are all but dead. Sears and KMart were packed and bustling 25 years ago.

I enjoyed shopping at the local K-Mart until they closed it last September....the prices were competitive, and the 'points' rewards plan was always giving me cents off on gasoline in town or cash back applied to purchases.

If they closed outright as a chain, there would be postings here from the leftists stating how bad it is for the 'workers', blah, blah, blah. They struggle to stay open, and offer people what they can in order to hire workers, and they are 'bad' for that as well.

Target closed in Canada for similar reasons. Brick and mortar retailers everywhere are struggling to stay alive. When it comes down to Wal-Mart and Amazon, and there is actually COMPETITION for the lousy jobs at Wal-Mart, perhaps some will look back at these days of KMart trying to do the best they could somewhat fondly.
You mean there’s still a Kmart?

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Fri May 04, 2018 11:41 am

The Kmart here in Grayling is still here. Only a matter of time.

KC8YQQ

Post by KC8YQQ » Fri May 04, 2018 11:45 am

Well, just out of curiosity, I checked out the store locator off their website. There are 13 left in Michigan and the closest to me (Jackson) is in Marshall. I wonder what ones will be closing this year.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 05, 2018 6:30 am

In the U.S...Target and Wal-Mart over many years did a far superior job of marketing, keeping their stores well organized, and merchandising.

Many Kmart stores had received ZERO facelift since opening. Some buildings lacked automatic doors well into the 90s (a few probably still do!). The checkout experience was painful. Many stores were dirty and had leaky roofs. Overall, a MISERABLE experience. Inventory management was a sheer disaster.

Kmart's Troy based executive management team was a who's who of morons. They ran the chain into the ground over 20 years and seemingly lost interest in improving their flagship chain, instead focusing on Borders and other diversions.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 05, 2018 7:47 am

Target is rumored to be purchased by Amazon in 2018.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:30 am
In the U.S...Target and Wal-Mart over many years did a far superior job of marketing, keeping their stores well organized, and merchandising.

Many Kmart stores had received ZERO facelift since opening. Some buildings lacked automatic doors well into the 90s (a few probably still do!). The checkout experience was painful. Many stores were dirty and had leaky roofs. Overall, a MISERABLE experience. Inventory management was a sheer disaster.

Kmart's Troy based executive management team was a who's who of morons. They ran the chain into the ground over 20 years and seemingly lost interest in improving their flagship chain, instead focusing on Borders and other diversions.
In a bit of potential irony Sam Walton’s entire Wal-Mart strategy in the 90’s was based on walking into Kmart in the late 80’s and deciding he wanted to do what they did only better... shortly after that Wal-Mart overtook Kmart as the largest discounter and Sears as the largest retailer and the rest is history...

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat May 05, 2018 4:19 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:01 am

In a bit of potential irony Sam Walton’s entire Wal-Mart strategy in the 90’s was based on walking into Kmart in the late 80’s and deciding he wanted to do what they did only better... shortly after that Wal-Mart overtook Kmart as the largest discounter and Sears as the largest retailer and the rest is history...
I guess that is more/less what I was trying to say. Kresge's invented Kmart, and it was wildly successful, to the point of obviating the need for Kresge's.

It's easy to take the ground breaking idea others have brought forth, observe the problems, and make improvements. The sad part of it is Wal-Mart is so tightly wound that its toxic to its vendors, employees, neighbors, and the municipalities in which it locates.

Kmart screwed up by not staying current, but the writing was on the wall. Just like Westinghouse, Pan Am, Sears, and more, it's more about the early ground breakers not surviving in the long run after others study them and make changes.

I was approached once by the good people of Wal-Mart's Bentonville, AR HQ years ago for a radio based resolution to the problem of locating cart retrieving staff in the lots. I was flattered, but the technology was not there yet. GPS was still in the S/A mode to diffuse civilian accuracy, and this was before the time of off-the-shelf GPS reporting and indicating technology. In ten minutes the reports would move around a thousand feet in any direction and be essentially useless.

I explained these problems to them, explaining this would not be a workable technology short of a VERY expensive nearly handmade system, and not good for real-time use. They were cavalier, and a little nasty, indicating THEY were Wal-Mart, and if *I* didn't give them what they wanted, they would find someone who would.

Don't know if I actually got blacklisted, but to date I've never done anything with them......however I notice that the poor schlumps bringing the carts back today still don't seem to be wired.

I use a lot of distilled water, and you simply can't get it anywhere else for the 82 cents a gallon W/M charges. Ditto the "simply' drink products. But I hate myself every time I enter their store.

Read this: https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-m ... -dont-know and:

Vlasic Pickles was roped into a contract with Wal-Mart, in which Wal-Mart sold a 3 gallon jar of whole pickles for $2.97. Wal-Mart sold 240,000 gallons of pickles per week. But the price of the 3 gallon jar was so low, that it vastly undercut Vlasic's sales of 8 ounce and 16 ounce jars of cut pickles; further, Vlasic only made a few pennies per 3 gallon jar. With its profits tumbling, Vlasic asked Wal-Mart for the right to raise the price per 3 gallon jar to $3.49, and according to a Vlasic executive, Wal-Mart threatened that if Vlasic tried to back out of this feature of the contract, Wal-Mart would cease carrying any Vlasic product. Eventually, a Wal-Mart executive said, "Well, we've done to pickles what we did to orange juice. We've killed it"—meaning it had wiped out competitor products. Finally, it allowed Vlasic to raise prices; but in January 2001, Vlasic filed for bankruptcy.
from http://larouchepub.com/other/2003/3046w ... icing.html

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

++++

Post by ++++ » Sun May 06, 2018 8:35 am

Plate Cap. What interesting reading!
I'd always heard the story of Vlasic pickles. Certainly, remember the old commercials. Nice articles.
Cannot find, but remember Lambert, when K-Mart closed stores in Canada, he didn't want to talk to media that day.
A company can die, lives are changed, families are wrecked with losses of jobs and "doesn't want to talk...."

An interesting read:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/05/ ... s-doo.aspx

As the priest said in a sermon recently, things are cyclical. "Remember K-Mart? Walmart could be gone in 10 years....." and talked of changes in society, etc. Things come & go.

I always liked K-Mart. I know people who HATE Walmart. If you know your prices, Walmart is not always the lowest! Dollar Tree, Dollar General & Family Dollar, to me, are the new Kresge 5&10 store.

On Wikipedia the other day, I was surprised to learn that there are more Sears stores than K-Mart.

Still, it is the race to the bottom: Zero stores.

Another. I do remember the Juniper stores from Kresge, in the 1960's.

What an interesting topic. And they say one person cannot change things......

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Mon May 07, 2018 7:40 am

I always enjoyed going to such stores at TG&Y in Clio, Mill End in Bay City, and Woolworth's in Caro and Lapeer.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 am

Recently announced, 31 more Sears stores and 9 KMarts are set to close.None located here in Michigan.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Thu May 31, 2018 6:44 am

Just announced, an additional 72 Sears strores are set to close.No list yet.

++++

Post by ++++ » Thu May 31, 2018 11:39 am

http://time.com/money/5296902/sears-clo ... ores-list/

Above, it says "list" yet in article, 2nd paragraph:
"On Thursday, Sears Holdings, which owns Sears and Kmart, announced that it has identified 100 non-profitable stores and that it would be closing 72 of these locations “in the near future.” Sears said it would publish a full list of the stores later today, with liquidation sales coming soon. We will post the list as soon as it is available."

"later today".....
Bait and switch so Time can get more "hits" for web page I guess. Tho, in addition to others announced just two weeks ago.

I know people who won't buy there. "they won't be around for warranty work" and such......

Hope Eddie is happy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic