All new acct registrations in the queue as of 8/11 at 9:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm

What type of financial disclosure requirements exist in Canada with regard to pension plan assets and liabilities?

R.I.P. Vinnie Paul Abbott (March 11, 1964 – June 22, 2018)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:51 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm
What type of financial disclosure requirements exist in Canada with regard to pension plan assets and liabilities?

Plan members must be given a copy of audited actuarial report each year. Just got mine in the mail a while ago. We're funded at 116%.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:33 am

Excellent!

++++

Post by ++++ » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:00 pm

http://citizensvoice.com/news/last-lack ... -1.2263824

Howard Davidowitz is quoted in the article. He's been on the WBBM-AM Noon Business Report.

Comments are interesting too.

Still, sad, in my opinion.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Kmart hasn't been competitive for years. I wonder how much longer we have until there are no more Kmart stores anywhere?

Otter Mii-kun

Post by Otter Mii-kun » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:11 pm

http://searsholdings.com/docs/010418-st ... g-list.pdf
Sears Holdings just came out with their latest closing list. Among the stores in Michigan, the Kmarts in Greenville and Richmond will be closing by early April.

Isn't it nice how deregulation has brought us such oversized and dangerously overleveraged broadcast owners? (Yes, I'm looking at YOU, Sinclair, Nexstar, Cume-U-Less, and iFart!)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:44 pm

I love some of those PA town names, ++++.

"Moosic"
"Dickson City"

:)

Bricks & mortar retail is hardly dead - its footprint is simply undergoing a much needed market correction.

There are plenty of retailers whose stock has performed well over the past 12-18 months. Look at Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, Target and Costco. There are even retailer growth stocks out there (if you search hard enough)! Prime example? At Home (ticker symbol "HOME"), who ironically, often opens new stores in old Kmart locations.

Fast food counts as retail, too. McDonalds' stock has been kicking ass for the past couple years.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:12 pm

103 stores closing out of about 1000.... yikes...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:44 pm
Bricks & mortar retail is hardly dead - its footprint is simply undergoing a much needed market correction.

There are plenty of retailers whose stock has performed well over the past 12-18 months. Look at Home Depot, Best Buy, Walmart, Target and Costco. There are even retailer growth stocks out there (if you search hard enough)! Prime example? At Home (ticker symbol "HOME"), who ironically, often opens new stores in old Kmart locations.

Fast food counts as retail, too. McDonalds' stock has been kicking ass for the past couple years.
Brick & mortar stores offer something online retailers can't - immediacy.

It's one thing to order a non-essential item online, but if my thermostat craps on a day like today, I'm not likely to wait a day or two for a new one to ship. A trip to a local brick & mortar retailer provides me with a new thermostat within 30 minutes, and the family stays warm tonight.

Online shopping has its niche, no doubt about that. Other times a local, physical store is necessary to meet the need.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:18 am

With these closures, Kmart will be down to 13 stores in Michigan. No Sears stores in the state are closing this round. I'm surprised that the Sears in Traverse City is still around, being as it's in Cherryland Center and not at Grand Traverse Mall

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 am

The one and only Sears in Lansing is a standalone store in the Frandor shopping center. Surprisingly, they have never opened anchor stores in either of our two malls. The Frandor store has been around forever, so it apparently has done well. Not sure how it's faring these days. There have been rumblings that it may close at some point.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:47 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 am
The one and only Sears in Lansing is a standalone store in the Frandor shopping center. Surprisingly, they have never opened anchor stores in either of our two malls. The Frandor store has been around forever, so it apparently has done well. Not sure how it's faring these days. There have been rumblings that it may close at some point.
Another year or two and the whole thing goes bye-bye. Diehard may survive and maybe Kenmore gets bought by somebody else but both store entities as going concerns are scrap at this point. I’m surprised they are still breathing.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Years ago, I suggested to several "power people" at K-Mart that they put "Dollar K's" in the middle of every store and promote the hell out of it. Kind of a throwback to the S.S. Kresge days. With their buying power at the time, they could have cornered all the dollar store goods market and drove foot traffic to their stores.

Alas, like my wife, they didn't listen to me.

~The people that predicted new technology would make us a paperless society evidently never tried to wipe their butt with an iPhone"~

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:35 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Years ago, I suggested to several "power people" at K-Mart that they put "Dollar K's" in the middle of every store and promote the hell out of it. Kind of a throwback to the S.S. Kresge days. With their buying power at the time, they could have cornered all the dollar store goods market and drove foot traffic to their stores.

Alas, like my wife, they didn't listen to me.
Not a bad concept... they were too busy overdoing their diversification... Builders Square, Walden Books etc...

kager

Post by kager » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 am

A friend purportedly in the know told me that timing in store closing has more to do with how much time is left on the lease, rather than performance of the store. It also sounded as if some of those leases had been signed for rather extreme lengths of time (50+ years).

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 am

Both K-mart's in the Toledo area are gone, The one in Oregon( a suburb of Toledo) recently closed as well as the one on Alexis and Jackman rd near the powertrain plant. Both were total dumps.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 pm

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 am

Fast Eddie wrote all that garbage, and not one mention about what they plan to change for the customer to bring them back in and improve their experiences with his company. He didn't even mention the words "member" or "customer". Just excuses relating to the "challenging retail environment" and actions of financial juggling to prolong the inevitable heat-death of Sears and Kmart. Disgusting.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

On TheLayoff, people were saying that he might be getting the additional $$ for the bankruptcy and closing process. It costs lots of money up front to close stores and let thousands go

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Kenneth City FL. a suburb of St. Petes. The store is still open and advertising for help wanted. They can't be too serious about recruiting, or they'd try offering incentives like a dental plan. The woman who served me had no teeth.

Inside, the store doesn't appear to have been updated since 1960.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic