Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 29 at 11:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Must Haves

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Re: Must Haves

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 17, 2024 1:44 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:59 am

I have a base model GMC Acadia… it has cruise, satellite radio and AC. Everything else is basic.
I believe the Acadia is also a big vehicle. Would I need a bus driver license to operate it?

I suppose the base model Cadilac would also have all the features I want, but I just want an affordable, working class vehicle, in a size I can handle, with just three little extras.

I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 17, 2024 2:07 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:44 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:59 am

I have a base model GMC Acadia… it has cruise, satellite radio and AC. Everything else is basic.
I believe the Acadia is also a big vehicle. Would I need a bus driver license to operate it?

I suppose the base model Cadilac would also have all the features I want, but I just want an affordable, working class vehicle, in a size I can handle, with just three little extras.
The new Acadia is a little bigger than the outgoing version but not much bigger than the Ford Edge was… it’s a midsize. Smaller than an explorer or a grand Cherokee.

Everybody including the working class wants luxury and bells and whistles. That’s something you may have to suck up or buy a used something.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 17, 2024 4:48 pm

When I lived up north, I never had AC in my cars and never felt the need for it. But living now in south west Ontario, where the summers are hotter and spending about 6 months a year in Florida, I wouldn't want to be without it.

But south west Ontario is a radio desert. So I need satellite radio.

Cruise control has probably saved my license more than once.

But I'm not interested in spending thousands of dollars on fancy gadgets I would never use.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 17, 2024 8:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:48 pm
When I lived up north, I never had AC in my cars and never felt the need for it. But living now in south west Ontario, where the summers are hotter and spending about 6 months a year in Florida, I wouldn't want to be without it.

But south west Ontario is a radio desert. So I need satellite radio.

Cruise control has probably saved my license more than once.

But I'm not interested in spending thousands of dollars on fancy gadgets I would never use.
Then find a very basic used vehicle or simply keep the one you have up. It’ll probably last you 15 years. Why the need to move to a new car every 3 or 5? That’s a bigger waste of money than any of the gadgets you complain about.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Fri May 17, 2024 10:21 pm

I don't think there's a new vehicle sold by any manufacturer these days in the US or Canada that doesn't have a/c and cruise control standard on the basest of base models. And if have to spend extra money on a package of stuff you don't want for satellite radio, just spend $100 or so and get one of the receivers off of the Sirius website or from Crutchfield or something. I ran one of those in multiple cars from like 2006-2013. Pop the magnetic antenna on the trunk/roof, run it back to the receiver and plug it in. Plug the power hookup into the lighter and the audio cable into the auxiliary port. Takes about 15 minutes to set up and 1 of that is hiding the antenna wire.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 17, 2024 10:48 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:21 pm
I don't think there's a new vehicle sold by any manufacturer these days in the US or Canada that doesn't have a/c and cruise control standard on the basest of base models. And if have to spend extra money on a package of stuff you don't want for satellite radio, just spend $100 or so and get one of the receivers off of the Sirius website or from Crutchfield or something. I ran one of those in multiple cars from like 2006-2013. Pop the magnetic antenna on the trunk/roof, run it back to the receiver and plug it in. Plug the power hookup into the lighter and the audio cable into the auxiliary port. Takes about 15 minutes to set up and 1 of that is hiding the antenna wire.
I had one of those receivers. I still have it. But now I use it in the house. I like the factory installed type. it's neater looking. But I believe SXM may be standard equipment in a lot of vehicles nowadays, along with a free trial for three months.

I've been looking around the lots at various dealerships and they seem to have only the fully loaded models on their lots. I suppose those are more profitable for them if they can sell the customer on paying for all that nice stuff.

If I wanted the base model I might have to order it and wait for it. That's OK. My current vehicle is only four years old. I could drive it for another month or two or six while I was waiting.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 17, 2024 11:39 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:48 pm
Motown322 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 10:21 pm
I had one of those receivers. I still have it. But now I use it in the house. I like the factory installed type. it's neater looking. But I believe SXM may be standard equipment in a lot of vehicles nowadays, along with a free trial for three months.

I've been looking around the lots at various dealerships and they seem to have only the fully loaded models on their lots. I suppose those are more profitable for them if they can sell the customer on paying for all that nice stuff.

If I wanted the base model I might have to order it and wait for it. That's OK. My current vehicle is only four years old. I could drive it for another month or two or six while I was waiting.
What’s the rush to have a new car? 4 isn’t very old. Cars today have way more life in them than that.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 18, 2024 12:39 am

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 11:39 pm

What’s the rush to have a new car? 4 isn’t very old. Cars today have way more life in them than that.
It's out of warranty now. And maybe I just like driving a new car. For years I drove old wrecks. After I was first able to buy my first new car, I like to stay in a new car. Maybe, after years of driving musty and dusty old cars, I like that new car smell.

When I was still working, one of the Companies with whom I did business, was a plant that manufactured plastic panels for car interiors, dash, door panels etc. Whenever I went into the plant it always smelled like a new car. Guys who worked there, whenever they would buy a new car, would immediately get a cheap air freshener for the car, to mask that smell that always reminded them of their job.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 18, 2024 3:59 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:39 am
Rate This wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 11:39 pm

It's out of warranty now. And maybe I just like driving a new car. For years I drove old wrecks. After I was first able to buy my first new car, I like to stay in a new car. Maybe, after years of driving musty and dusty old cars, I like that new car smell.

When I was still working, one of the Companies with whom I did business, was a plant that manufactured plastic panels for car interiors, dash, door panels etc. Whenever I went into the plant it always smelled like a new car. Guys who worked there, whenever they would buy a new car, would immediately get a cheap air freshener for the car, to mask that smell that always reminded them of their job.
The warranty part I can understand... surely you've babied it, the kilometers are low and its not a wreck or musty or dusty?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 18, 2024 11:54 am

In Stephen King's novel Christine, one of the characters is reminiscing about his old car that he had bought when it was new. He says " The smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world, 'cept maybe for pussy."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 18, 2024 2:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 11:54 am
In Stephen King's novel Christine, one of the characters is reminiscing about his old car that he had bought when it was new. He says " The smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world, 'cept maybe for pussy."
Be careful it may not enjoy being traded in and be out for blood. You may run into it at an intersection for example.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 pm

So, I've decided to keep the vehicle one more year. It just turned 4 years old today. I bought it in the spring of 2020 when covid was raging. For the first year, I barely drove it. There was nowhere to go. We had to stay home from Florida that year.

So now, after four years it has less than 44,000 KM (about 27,000 miles). When I bought it at the height of the pandemic, the dealers were offering crazy incentives. Not so much anymore.

Instead, I went out today and got a new bike. It's an Electra, Loft 7D, made by Trek. I have one exactly like it in Florida. I liked it so well, I decided to get another one for at home here.

But it was a better deal here. In Florida it cost $649 US. Here it cost $649 Cdn. That is equal to about $490 US.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 22, 2024 11:45 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 pm
So, I've decided to keep the vehicle one more year. It just turned 4 years old today. I bought it in the spring of 2020 when covid was raging. For the first year, I barely drove it. There was nowhere to go. We had to stay home from Florida that year.

So now, after four years it has less than 44,000 KM (about 27,000 miles). When I bought it at the height of the pandemic, the dealers were offering crazy incentives. Not so much anymore.

Instead, I went out today and got a new bike. It's an Electra, Loft 7D, made by Trek. I have one exactly like it in Florida. I liked it so well, I decided to get another one for at home here.

But it was a better deal here. In Florida it cost $649 US. Here it cost $649 Cdn. That is equal to about $490 US.

27,000 miles is NOTHING. Barely even broken in. I would keep it another 4 or 8. Why waste the money?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu May 23, 2024 12:16 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:45 pm
[
27,000 miles is NOTHING. Barely even broken in. I would keep it another 4 or 8. Why waste the money?
Hey. Now I can just ride my bike.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 23, 2024 12:27 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:16 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:45 pm
[
Hey. Now I can just ride my bike.
And keep the car for 20 more years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic