All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Improper Discharge Indeed

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Improper Discharge Indeed

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:57 pm

Grievor - Male age 27

Job Title - Welder

Rate of pay - $28.80/hr

Seniority - 4 1/2 years

Nature of grievance - Improper Discharge

Remedy Sought - Reinstatement with full monetary redress.

The company employs about 60 people at its steel fabricating shop.

Two welders, including the grievor, were working inside a large tank or vessel they were building. Somehow they became engaged in a contest of prowess in expelling intestinal gases. The elements of the contest involved creating an echo inside the hollow metal container and creating the greatest blend of welding fumes and flatulence.

The grievor was feeling proud of his performance until something went horribly wrong. It may have been something he ate or maybe his timing was just a little off. He soiled himself.

He climbed out of the confined space and made his way to the washroom. He removed his underwear and washed it in the big, round industrial sink. There was still about 45 minutes to go until lunch time, so he took the underwear to the lunch room and put it in the microwave oven to dry.

He returned to work but did not resume the contest.

When the foreman saw smoke coming from the lunch room, he went to investigate and found the oven on fire. After asking around he confronted the grievor who admitted what he had done. The Company fired him.

The Union filed a grievance. Does it succeed?

TC Talks

Re: Improper Discharge Indeed

Post by TC Talks » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:39 am

Burning your own underwear in the shop kitchen has to be protected in the contract somewhere...

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:16 am

Yes. I don't think a fire would have been anticipated.

And he went back to work while drying was in progress.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 am

Geez. Fifty Shades of Discharge.
First off, putting something in the lunchroom microwave, no matter what was in it, and leaving it running unattended is reason enough to discharge for a safety violation, even if there was not a fire.
But the sanitary issue. Putting clothing that contained feces in the lunchroom microwave? Where other employees warm their food up. Even if it didn't catch fire. please tell me he's no longer employed. I'm sorry you had to defend this.

Why would he not go home? Or at least throw the underwear out, and work commando style for the rest of the shift?
Was he going to put the unclean skid-marked underwear back on if they would of dried without catching fire?
Rinsing them out in the washroom sink is not clean clothes, any more than me doing dishes with just a scotch-brite pad under running hot water.

And here's' something else I ponder:
Is this a shop where employees are afforded the opportunity to take a shower on company property after the shift is over?
If so, please don't say that after taking a shower, he's putting the same underwear he worked in all day back on? (even if he didn't crap in them).

If this employee isn't, every day, bringing a clean t-shirt and undies to put on after taking a shower, he should be discharged just for being a pig.
Because if he's wasn't a pig, he would of already had a clean pair of undies in the plant to change into after he pooped his drawers.
And you would of not had to represent him to begin with.

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 am

I'm sure temperatures were above 160F. There is no sanitation issue.

Who cares if he recycles his underwear.

You need to spend a day a cow, pig or chicken farm to get a fresh perspective of your germaphobia.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 am

You need to spend a day a cow, pig or chicken farm to get a fresh perspective of your germaphobia.
The very concept is repelling... do you usually eat where you shit?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm

By the time I got to meet with the Company, the guy had already been off the job for a week and a half.

Their position was that he had recklessly endangered the lives of everyone at the plant. That the fire could have been worse.

They acknowledged that previous to this incident he had been a good employee. He was a good welder and a hard worker.

I the end, we settled the grievance. The Company proposed to treat the time served up to then as an unpaid suspension for damaging Company property. They said he could return to work the next day and the price of the new microwave would be deducted from his pay in two weekly installments.

He agreed to those terms.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm
By the time I got to meet with the Company, the guy had already been off the job for a week and a half.

Their position was that he had recklessly endangered the lives of everyone at the plant. That the fire could have been worse.

They acknowledged that previous to this incident he had been a good employee. He was a good welder and a hard worker.

I the end, we settled the grievance. The Company proposed to treat the time served up to then as an unpaid suspension for damaging Company property. They said he could return to work the next day and the price of the new microwave would be deducted from his pay in two weekly installments.

He agreed to those terms.
He got off damn easy...

In The Bleachers

Post by In The Bleachers » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 pm
He got off damn easy...
You got that right.
If I was working there, and someone put their soiled underwear in the community microwave, they would have an issue that would not involve the company.

Nothing will change until ALL incumbents are voted out of office.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm
audiophile wrote:

Have you seen how they make sausage?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:42 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm
audiophile wrote:

Have you seen how they make sausage?
Even that isn’t nearly as unsanitary as this... whether it got to 160 or not is irrelevant if even 1 bacteria survived... that’s the kind of stuff that could kill you... your sausage example while I get what you mean (Upton Sinclair not withstanding) isn’t the same thing...

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 am

1? Water standards for beach water is 300 or less of e-coli per 100 milliliters of water.

Sausage in natural casing is intestines...which is the stuff the Bes Truman tried to Harry to call fertilizer comes from.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 am

Life-endangering? No. Inappropriate? Yes. It's just not courteous to (attempt to) dry your underwear in an appliance where other people heat up their food.

But as long as we're on the subject of germs....

https://nypost.com/2017/07/20/fecal-bac ... fc-drinks/

Likely caused by employees who don't properly wash their hands (if the do so at all) after their "sit-down" bathroom breaks.

Has it stopped me from pouring a Diet Coke at BK or Mickey D's? Can't say that it has. Granted it crosses my mind from time to time, and I would hope that the people who prepare my food and drink have the good sense to wash their hands after a trip to the can and that proper hygiene rules are enforced as best they can be, but it's not a perfect world. Germs are everywhere. That's why we have immune systems.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic