Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mass US Shootings Finally Addressed ?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: Mass US Shootings Finally Addressed ?

Post by Bryce » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:50 am
How did he obtain the weapon? Didn't see any mention in the story.
Being as a 17-year-old cannot legally own a handgun in the State of Texas, it is reasonable to believe that he didn't purchase it at a gun dealer and pass a background check. I've been to numerous gun shows, a 17-year-old couldn't buy a handgun at one of those either.

However he obtained the weapon, he had it illegally. No amount of additional rules and regulations would have prevented him from having it.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 am
Being as a 17-year-old cannot legally own a handgun in the State of Texas, it is reasonable to believe that he didn't purchase it at a gun dealer and pass a background check. I've been to numerous gun shows, a 17-year-old couldn't buy a handgun at one of those either.

However he obtained the weapon, he had it illegally. No amount of additional rules and regulations would have prevented him from having it.
What the heck are you talking about?!?!

The Odessa, Texas police chief identified the shooter as a white male in his 30s.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:32 pm

JackAttack FM wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am
Bryce wrote:

The Odessa, Texas police chief identified the shooter as a white male in his 30s.
Different shooting. Your error is understandable considering only about 12 hours passed from one mass shooting to another. Perhaps it would be helpful if the NRA and its supporters pass out scorecards as to aid in our keeping the carnage count up to date and accurate...

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:32 pm
JackAttack FM wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am
Bryce wrote:

Different shooting. Your error is understandable considering only about 12 hours passed from one mass shooting to another. Perhaps it would be helpful if the NRA and its supporters pass out scorecards as to aid in our keeping the carnage count up to date and accurate...
Thanks Les, but I'm still not sure the error is all mine.
Why's he talking about the age limits of gun ownership in Texas if he's posting about a Mobile, Alabama shooting.

At least the Mobile shooting made all the top media outlets, the NY Times, NPR and CNN.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:07 pm

I see Mitch McConnell just threw Trump under the bus by saying he won't initiate any gun control legislation unless he's assured Trump will sign it.

Of course, in order for any law to be enacted the President must sign off on it (barring an override), but Mitch just lobbed a very volatile ball squarely in Trump's court in the middle of an election. Any way you spin it, Trump can't be very happy about this. Too bad, so sad...

[EDIT: One more thought on this. Mitch McConnell can read a poll as well as anyone on the planet. If he sees something in the Trump polls that might indicate it's not worth sticking his albeit short, turtlely neck out for someone who may or may not be around in 16 months, he's not going to do it. Particularly when he himself is up for re-election. Why put up with questions from your constituents and others about why you're not doing any gun control legislation when you can simply say "You'll have to ask the President. I've stated I'll do what he said he will sign." It's an brilliant way of extracting yourself from the entire conversation. Ice cold.]

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Perhaps it would be helpful if the NRA and its supporters pass out scorecards
What exactly are you suggesting here? That people who support the NRA view these mass shootings as some kind of game whereby the more people who are shot and killed, the higher the score for the NRA?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:07 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:41 pm
Perhaps it would be helpful if the NRA and its supporters pass out scorecards
What exactly are you suggesting here? That people who support the NRA view these mass shootings as some kind of game whereby the more people who are shot and killed, the higher the score for the NRA?
You're right. "Roster" is the term I should have used. My bad. Now back to the regularly scheduled carnage....

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:43 pm

I understand that you have to have a scapegoat. If demonizing the NRA and its supporters helps you sleep better at night, then good for you.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:49 pm

We'd have to include all those who were killed in those other shootings, for example Chicago, but nobody really cares too much about that.

Maybe it's because those stats would overwhelm where they really want to put the focus.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:52 pm

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:07 pm
I see Mitch McConnell just threw Trump under the bus by saying he won't initiate any gun control legislation unless he's assured Trump will sign it.
<snip>
Mitch McConnell is a moron.

He should be doing what he was put there to do. Have the debate and put forth legislation that the Senate thinks is a good idea, not whether or not the President thinks it's a good idea or whether or not he thinks it'll be signed. He should be putting forth legislation that should be able to pass either by signature or an override. They should continue debating and adjusting a proposed bill until they think they're at that point.

Saying, essentially, "we're not going to do anything until the President tells us what to do" is NOT what he's being paid to do.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:52 pm
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:07 pm
<snip>
Mitch McConnell is a moron.

He should be doing what he was put there to do. Have the debate and put forth legislation that the Senate thinks is a good idea, not whether or not the President thinks it's a good idea or whether or not he thinks it'll be signed. He should be putting forth legislation that should be able to pass either by signature or an override. They should continue debating and adjusting a proposed bill until they think they're at that point.

Saying, essentially, "we're not going to do anything until the President tells us what to do" is NOT what he's being paid to do.
I don't disagree with you but pragmatically what McConnell is doing shouldn't come as any surprise, which is promoting his own agenda and using whatever means available to keep himself powerful and in office. If that's denying a President a rightful opportunity to offer a candidate nomination for the Supreme Court as what happened with Merrick Garland or if that entails avoiding responsibility by redirecting any initiative that may save lives due to gun violence to a man who is of little integrity himself and is currently well into a Presidential election contest who can ill afford upsetting his base and is therefore unlikely to institute changes, well, as the Scorpion told the Frog, "Sorry... it's in my nature".

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:18 am

Take a look at what “anti-mass shooting” executive actions the governor of Texas has taken this week. Talk about a do nothing prestidigitator slickster!

Will voters notice his slight of hand?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic