All new acct registrations in the queue as of 5/25 at 4:40p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Need advice for what to do with evil house sparrows

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Justice!

Need advice for what to do with evil house sparrows

Post by Justice! » Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm

For those of you who are unfamiliar with house sparrows, they are the epitome of evil. If Satan, Hitler and Charles Manson got together and created a bird, it would be the house (English) sparrow.

For the last month, these things "chirp" LOUDLY and INCESSENTANTLY by my apartment, starting at 6:15 a.m. and continuing through the late afternoon. I put chirp in quotation marks because it makes it sound more pleasant than it is, it's more of an angry TST TST TST TST TST. These brats do this ENDLESSLY, for God knows what reason.

The things are non-native to this country, brought over from England in a small quantity in the late 1800's, from there the things of course ballooned up to the tens of millions. They are bully birds that will kill chicks and adult birds of other species of birds, including bluebirds and Purple Martins, among dozens of others, and will also wreck their nests. They kill even when there is no reason for them to do so. They are also health hazards as their feces carries literally dozens of diseases.

Everything I have tried to get rid of these birds has failed:

Plastic owl: they were not deterred by it.
spray bought from Home Depot specifically designed to keep pests away: they were not deterred by it.
sticky gel put on section of ledge: one bird did get caught in it briefly and lost a few feathers, now they just avoid that section.
glue traps: did not work.

Out of ideas. I found their nest maybe a few weeks ago, which of course was right by my apartment (they single out my apartment for some reason, probably because I work overnights and sleep during the day and I would be the most inconvenienced by it). I threw it away. They still flock there.

These things are driving me nuts. Willing to hear all suggestions. thanks.

906XJ

Re: Need advice for what to do with evil house sparrows

Post by 906XJ » Tue May 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Get a pellet gun and start blasting away.

Justice!

Post by Justice! » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

As much as I'd love to pop a cap in their asses, I'm not sure the landlord would be thrilled.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Thu May 17, 2018 12:07 am

Open the patio door, sit on the couch, open beer, open can of whoopass... profit.

The landlord is an idiot anyway. You know it and I know it.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 am

I hear ya, Justice! "Bully birds" is the perfect description. I stopped putting up a bird feeder because of them. Though their flocks tend to be somewhat seasonal just like the grackles and starlings (another European import), I've noticed that the occasional appearance of our local Cooper's hawk sends all of 'em scattering to parts unknown.

The only suggestion I can make is to see if there are any feeders or birdbaths in the vicinity and eliminate them...if possible. I would be loath to suggest poisoning.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic