All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

The Logan Paul Discussion

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Calvert DeForest

The Logan Paul Discussion

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am

If you have kids at home, especially teenagers, you know the name....they do for sure. You also know about the recent controversy as well as other controversies involving Logan and his younger brother Jake relating to their "YouTube fame". You've likely talked with your kids about what is and isn't appropriate behavior in the online world (or any world for that matter).

So I'm asking those of you who parents....how have you handled it?

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

craig11152

Re: The Logan Paul Discussion

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

My kids are too old and my grand-kids are too young. I didn't know who the guy was till this all happened, and I am on You-tube every day. But in my opinion I thought the guys original apologies were sincere, I think he knew he made a mistake and regretted it. I think society anymore doesn't really believe in forgiveness and second chances they just want blood.

I know that doesn't address your question so hopefully others with kids in the right age group can weigh in.
Last edited by craig11152 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 am

Nevvvvvvvvvvvvver heard of him...

I Googled - it was a waste of 5 minutes, LOL...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 pm

Never heard of this. I have no idea what it's about. Our kids are all grown and our grand kid has four legs.

906XJ

Post by 906XJ » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm

My kids think he's a douchebag... so do I.

So... yeah... it handled itself in my house.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am
My kids are too old and my grand-kids are too young. I didn't know who the guy was till this all happened, and I am on You-tube every day. But in my opinion I thought the guys original apologies were sincere, I think he knew he made a mistake and regretted it. I think society anymore doesn't really believe in forgiveness and second chances they just want blood.

I know that doesn't address your question so hopefully others with kids in the right age group can weigh in.
I would agree with you except for the fact that this is not a one-time occurrence, but a pattern of behavior that these brothers have displayed for quite some time, and that the younger brother continues to display even in light of the recent controversy (he recently posted naked pics of him and his girlfriend along with a video detailing the loss of his virginity). Because Logan's recent incident made headlines in mainstream media, a lot of folks are just hearing about him and know little about him aside from this particular story. I've been following the Paul brothers for some months now just because I have a teenager and a pre-teen in the house who have followed them as well. I've watched the videos with my boys, and some of them are not bad....just young guys goofing off (Ice Bucket Challenge kind of stuff, etc). I began to notice, however, that the "extreme" nature of the nature of their content has been ramping up and pushing the limits of what I consider acceptable for my kids to watch. The language has become more expletive and the subject matter has become more graphic. I've become more vigilant of what they're watching and reinforce the boundaries of what is and isn't okay for them to watch. Still, there are some things that slipped past my scope of awareness and reminded me that I need to watch even closer.

Suffice to say most people, while aware of this particular event, are unaware of the backstories and the patterns of these two brothers. Believe me, I wish I didn't know as much as I've learned about these guys, but I've had to just by nature of being a parent. It's about more than just one YouTube video. There's a disturbing pattern of ongoing behavior here. I don't care much about the Paul brothers do. I do care about the impression it makes on my own kids.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am
craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am

I would agree with you except for the fact that this is not a one-time occurrence, but a pattern of behavior that these brothers have displayed for quite some time, and that the younger brother continues to display even in light of the recent controversy (he recently posted naked pics of him and his girlfriend along with a video detailing the loss of his virginity). Because Logan's recent incident made headlines in mainstream media, a lot of folks are just hearing about him and know little about him aside from this particular story. I've been following the Paul brothers for some months now just because I have a teenager and a pre-teen in the house who have followed them as well. I've watched the videos with my boys, and some of them are not bad....just young guys goofing off (Ice Bucket Challenge kind of stuff, etc). I began to notice, however, that the "extreme" nature of the nature of their content has been ramping up and pushing the limits of what I consider acceptable for my kids to watch. The language has become more expletive and the subject matter has become more graphic. I've become more vigilant of what they're watching and reinforce the boundaries of what is and isn't okay for them to watch. Still, there are some things that slipped past my scope of awareness and reminded me that I need to watch even closer.

Suffice to say most people, while aware of this particular event, are unaware of the backstories and the patterns of these two brothers. Believe me, I wish I didn't know as much as I've learned about these guys, but I've had to just by nature of being a parent. It's about more than just one YouTube video. There's a disturbing pattern of ongoing behavior here. I don't care much about the Paul brothers do. I do care about the impression it makes on my own kids.
Not sure how old your kids are but sooner or later I’ve found that taking it away or forbidding it just encourages them to seek it out... at some point “protecting the children” is a more harm than good proposition. You do seem awfully worked up about all this...

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Jake Paul was on the Disney Channel show Bizzaardvark which he recently left. Logan was on an episode playing his brother. The rest of the cast are a few years younger and I kind of hope what going on with those two brothers doesn't effect them. As far as I know the show is still going.
Last edited by sfpcc on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 am

NS8401 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 am
Not sure how old your kids are but sooner or later I’ve found that taking it away or forbidding it just encourages them to seek it out... at some point “protecting the children” is a more harm than good proposition. You do seem awfully worked up about all this...
That's my overactive brain at work. :razz I've managed to calm down a bit in the last week.

That being said, I've taken the opportunity to do some research into YouTube's business model and the workings of their algorithms. It has given me a better insight into how the platform works. One intriguing thing I learned is that some of the actions people take to protest objectionable content actually trigger the algorithms to further promote the very content they're objecting to (i.e. commenting on YouTube pages, etc). It's been a fascinating education to say the least, and I figure you can never have too much information.

I agree with you in that strictly prohibiting our kids' access to content without discussion and explanation makes them want to seek it out all the more. My wife and I do our best to have open and honest talks with our kids about what they see. We realize the importance of listening to what they say and getting a feel for where they're coming from. We ask them what they like or dislike most about a given video they've seen. As they grow older and more independent, they will need to make more decisions for themselves. Our goal is to help them think things through and arrive at logical conclusions that will benefit them both now and down the road. We've found that when we ask questions and challenge them to think things over in a non-threatening manner, they manage to figure it out. Their own rational conclusions are more effective in the long term than Mom or Dad just saying "no".

One thing I need to remind myself of is that I have little or no control over what's on the internet. The Logan Paul's will come and go, and there's not a whole lot I can do about that. What I can do is keep the lines of communication open with my kids and show a genuine interest in what interests them. We can't expect them to listen to us if we're not willing to listen to listen to them.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am
I would agree with you except for the fact that this is not a one-time occurrence, but a pattern of behavior that these brothers have displayed for quite some time, and that the younger brother continues to display even in light of the recent controversy (he recently posted naked pics of him and his girlfriend along with a video detailing the loss of his virginity).
Is it possible that the girlfriend was the neighbor girl, and that's why the boys' dad was attacked while mowing the lawn?

/s

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:55 am
Is it possible that the girlfriend was the neighbor girl, and that's why the boys' dad was attacked while mowing the lawn?
I haven't really kept up on the backstory behind it, but the neighbors have been quite irate about the disruptions caused by Jake and his "Team 10". They have pursued legal action to have him removed from the neighborhood. Whether or not they succeed only time will tell.

The more I see this saga unfold, the more choreographed it looks. I have to wonder if this is YouTube's answer to the WWE.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:53 pm

By the time my kids were about 13, they had a pretty solid idea of right and wrong. I would never try to instill my ideals on them, largely because they have taught me more than I could teach them at that point.

They have been making their own decisions since elementary school, and it has proven to been a successful way to raise thoughtful self learners.

There will always be crap in this world, I want kids with critical thinking skills. Without this you get people like Trump getting elected president.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:53 pm
By the time my kids were about 13, they had a pretty solid idea of right and wrong.

They have been making their own decisions since elementary school, and it has proven to been a successful way to raise thoughtful self learners.

There will always be crap in this world, I want kids with critical thinking skills.
Critical thinking is important. How do you feel about your kids being Conservative Republicans?

~If the left didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all."~

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm

My son is leaning libertarian, so none of the evangelistic hypocrisy but limited safety net for those on the edge. He's also for the legalization of all drugs, guns etc...

I'm fine with it but we have boundaries to our conversations.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:58 pm

:lol
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm
My son is leaning libertarian, so none of the evangelistic hypocrisy but limited safety net for those on the edge. He's also for the legalization of all drugs, guns etc...

I'm fine with it but we have boundaries to our conversations.
:lol

I bet you do. Wish I could.come.to Thanksgiving sometime. :rollin

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 pm

I like healthy debate, it's bigots that aren't invited.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 pm
EVERYONE exhibits bigotry in some form. its natural. And based upon ones experiences as well as your personal beliefs of what's right and wrong.

Don't you think the ANTIFA or BLM. folks abound in bigotry? Hell, Rachael Marrow and CChris Matthews exhibit bigotry almost nightly.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 pm
EVERYONE exhibits bigotry in some form. its natural. And based upon ones experiences as well as your personal beliefs of what's right and wrong.

Don't you think the ANTIFA or BLM. folks abound in bigotry? Hell, Rachael Marrow and CChris Matthews exhibit bigotry almost nightly.
As do Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson... everybody does it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:32 am

Quoting talkshow hosts as the sole example of people is a bit misleading. Talk show hosts drive ratings by creating controversy or strong opinions. Show me a talk show host that is respectful to those around him or her and I'll show you someone without many ratings. Real people in the real world may have bigotry but the people I enjoy most are those with the knowledge that it exists and work towards understanding about those around them rather than amplifying and perpetuating them. I am biased against hateful people. Some of them congregate in groups, such as evangelistic Christians or political parties.i've never seen much success in coexisting when bigotry is the focus of conversation.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:34 am

Controversial talk show hosts have one job - stimulate Dopamine production.

I can think of a thousand other ways that feel better and are better for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic