Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 8-17-2017 at 7:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Walmart stores that are tolerable...even nice!

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Calvert DeForest

Re: Walmart stores that are tolerable...even nice!

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:26 am

SoupySez wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 pm
Most of the Meijer stores have their bottle room in the back, I think. At least Westland and Canton do.
Most stores do. Our local Kroger has bottle return in the back of the store, which is actually a good idea. Bottle return areas can become quite odorous over time, especially when it comes to empty beer containers. This happened with the bottle return area at our Walmart, which is right next to an in-store Subway. Suffice to say the smell didn't make for a very inviting dining atmosphere. They eventually changed out all the machines and cleaned things up, but I'm sure time will repeat the process. Best to put the bottle return in a secluded area away from where food is being sold.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am

The Kroger I frequent on Carpenter Road in Pittsfield Township actually has a separate bottle return "store front". It has its own entry from the parking lot and is not accessible from the store. To get to the main store you need to go back outside and walk down to the store entry.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 am

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am
The Kroger I frequent on Carpenter Road in Pittsfield Township actually has a separate bottle return "store front". It has its own entry from the parking lot and is not accessible from the store. To get to the main store you need to go back outside and walk down to the store entry.
It was a decent design but it was done that way because of the smell no doubt...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:11 am

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 am
craig11152 wrote:
It was a decent design but it was done that way because of the smell no doubt...
whatever the reason I like it. :blink
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am

NS8401 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 am
craig11152 wrote:
That, and to reduce traffic backups within the store. There are times I know not to visit bottle return. Sundays tend to be the worst. People plan parties and social gatherings on Saturday, and Sunday is when they return all the empty's. The backups at the machines can get crazy. College football season is the worst.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:17 am

The soon-to-be-former Kroger on Eureka Road in Southgate has their bottle return embedded neatly into the entrance. And I can confirm that the Meijer stores in Southgate and Lincoln Park (the latter of which was originally a Kmart and was built on what was formerly the east half of the transmitter farm of the former mighty WJBK AM) have their bottle return rooms in the back, while the Meijers in Flat Rock, Taylor and Allen Park have theirs out front.
Last edited by mtburb on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

format this

Post by format this » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:07 am

As far as the Kalamazoo Meijers' goes, the West Main store has their bottle return in the back of grocery. Westnedge, Shaver and Gull have theirs in the front. West Main is the go-to for many of the WMU/K-College students... that gets a little busy in the grocery center aisle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am
There are times I know not to visit bottle return. Sundays tend to be the worst. People plan parties and social gatherings on Saturday, and Sunday is when they return all the empty's. The backups at the machines can get crazy. College football season is the worst.
Then you should avoid bottle return areas completely on the day after the Super Bowl because the backups can become really dramatic.
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 am

Amazon has the best stores of all... they look a lot like my office.

We switched to delivery with Meijer (via the shippt app). It works great and I no longer waste time in a big box. I go biking or work on VWs instead.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 am

We switched to delivery with Meijer (via the shippt app). It works great and I no longer waste time in a big box. I go biking or work on VWs instead.
Only problem I see with that is that I like to hand select my meat and produce. Then again, I wouldn't buy that stuff from Meijer anyway.
~Repeal And Replace, Mitch Mcconnell.~

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:45 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:56 am

Only problem I see with that is that I like to hand select my meat and produce. Then again, I wouldn't buy that stuff from Meijer anyway.
Too low class for you there Bryce?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:38 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm

I like Wagyu and Kobe beef. I also like to get prime rather than choice. Meijer doesn't stock either. My butcher shop does. :razz
~Repeal And Replace, Mitch Mcconnell.~

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:49 pm

The drivers actually do a great job pulling produce, they are trained how to pick good stuff.

We use the coop for proteins.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 am

Bryce wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:38 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm

I like Wagyu and Kobe beef. I also like to get prime rather than choice. Meijer doesn't stock either. My butcher shop does. :razz
Too bad there aren't too many real butcher shops anymore... kind of a neat place to go...

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 am

Walmart here in Perrysburg OH is really nice as is the one in Bowling Green. The one on Glendale ave in Toledo is really ghetto. WM's Fruit and Vegetable selection I find isn't too good, Meijer's just across the road in Perrysburg is great for that though. One thing I do like about Ohio is we don't have to deal with bottle returns. Total pain.
106.7 The D we play everythi........ er no we play the same suck ass boring songs you've heard 678,000,000,506 times. Woo hoo Blondie one way or another! Woo hoo Edge of 17-Steve Nicks. We've exhumed Alice from the radio graveyard.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 am

What I want to know is, what's an 80 year old lady doing, working at Walmart?

Two suspects arrested in pepper spraying of 80-year-old Walmart employee.

Two people wanted in the pepper-spraying of an 80-year-old woman at the Walmart in Mount Sterling were arrested Wednesday in Oklahoma.

George Michael Jude, 35, and Sandra Yeahquo, 36, were being held in the Tulsa County jail. They were wanted on first-degree robbery charges filed by Mount Sterling police.

On Sunday, Jude shoplifted several items from the store and pepper-sprayed the woman, an employee, when she tried to stop him, police said. Yeahquo is accused of providing the pepper spray.

The two suspects left the store in a maroon minivan with Oklahoma plates, police said.

In Oklahoma, Jude was charged with being a fugitive from justice. Yeahquo was charged with larceny and being a fugitive.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crim ... 20527.html

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Probably a door greeter. Someone I work with, there father in law bags groceries because the steel mill in Western PA he worked for all his life closed and he ended up getting screwed out a part of his pension.
106.7 The D we play everythi........ er no we play the same suck ass boring songs you've heard 678,000,000,506 times. Woo hoo Blondie one way or another! Woo hoo Edge of 17-Steve Nicks. We've exhumed Alice from the radio graveyard.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:55 am

Some older folks take the jobs to supplement their retirement and/or Social Security. With others, it's a chance to get out of the house and do something useful. It gives them a sense of purpose, especially if they're used to working and being around other people. Granted, there are volunteer opportunities that offer similar gratification, but there's a certain satisfaction to being gainfully employed and earning a paycheck that bolsters a feeling of usefulness and contribution to the workforce. No doubt there are plenty of older folks who need the income, but there are some who just want the extra activity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic