Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 6-25-2017 at 7:45p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

I 75 Info Needed

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

I 75 Info Needed

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Someone posted here a while ago that 75 was going to be closed for construction somewhere around Rouge River. Has that work started yet?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: I 75 Info Needed

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:49 am

It has not begun yet.

About an eight mile stretch of southbound I-75 will be closed for 18 - 24 months starting in February. Northbound lanes will remain open the entire time.

For passenger traffic, the easiest detours will likely be I-94 to I-275 or I-94 to Telegraph Rd (U.S. Highway 24).

Of note, I-94 to Southfield Rd will not work, as the Southfield Rd / I-75 junction is inside of the closure zone. However, you can certainly take I-94 - to Southfield Rd - to Fort St or one of the other major north-south routes if you so desire to reconnect with I-75 several miles to the south.

If you don't mind navigating down a horribly pothole ridden road and driving through rough neighborhoods to reconnect with 75, hopping on Fort St. (M-85) near or just south of downtown Detroit and staying on that road until you get past the detour zone is another option.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:55 am

Turkeytop wrote:Someone posted here a while ago that 75 was going to be closed for construction somewhere around Rouge River. Has that work started yet?
Would it better off going through Sarnia and taking US-23?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:10 am

Here is a link to a site designed to keep folks up to date on the project as well as closures:

http://www.75rougeriver.com/
~If the bar isn't bending, you're just pretending.~

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:55 am

audiophile wrote:
Turkeytop wrote:Someone posted here a while ago that 75 was going to be closed for construction somewhere around Rouge River. Has that work started yet?
or even through Buffalo South to Florida.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:11 pm

TC Talks wrote:
audiophile wrote:

The Buffalo route would be very long.

I'm looking at the map. The 94/23 route looks pretty straight forward. I've never driven 23. It it a divided high speed route like the Interstates?

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
TC Talks wrote:
audiophile wrote:

The Buffalo route would be very long.

I'm looking at the map. The 94/23 route looks pretty straight forward. I've never driven 23. It it a divided high speed route like the Interstates?
Yes from the Ohio border north it is, it merges into 475 I think in Toledo and eventually becomes a two lane deal but that's well after you'd need it.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Although construction hasn't started yet, I'm considering crossing at Sarnia this year. I usually cross at Windsor, but this year there is a lot of construction on 401 between London and Chatham. I still haven't made up my mind. Whereas, there are usually long delays at the bridge at Sarnia, one can usually breeze through the D-W tunnel in less than 5 minutes.

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:Although construction hasn't started yet, I'm considering crossing at Sarnia this year. I usually cross at Windsor, but this year there is a lot of construction on 401 between London and Chatham. I still haven't made up my mind. Whereas, there are usually long delays at the bridge at Sarnia, one can usually breeze through the D-W tunnel in less than 5 minutes.
Consider taking the ferry between Sombra and Marine City. My wife and I do that every time we go to Stratford. The wait time is always minimal, there's the novelty of the ferry ride, and customs seems much less annoying that at either of the big crossings.
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!
Visit www.michiganmiracle.org

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Does the ferry operate year round?

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Turkeytop wrote:Does the ferry operate year round?
I believe so.
Support The Miracle League of Michigan -- because EVERY child deserves the chance to play baseball!

Vic Doucette

Post by Vic Doucette » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:07 pm

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Turkeytop wrote:Does the ferry operate year round?
It only closes if the river has a ice jam. As mild as this winter has been, you'll be fine. You can also go down to Walpole and cross at Algonac.

Much faster than the Blue Water bridge. My family has a house just south of the ferry at Marine City, most reliable businesses I think I've ever seen.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 am

MWmetalhead wrote:If you don't mind navigating down a horribly pothole ridden road and driving through rough neighborhoods to reconnect with 75, hopping on Fort St. (M-85) near or just south of downtown Detroit and staying on that road until you get past the detour zone is another option.
I can confirm that is most certainly not the case: five years ago they completely rebuilt Fort Street between Goddard and Sibley and it received a new surface similar to those already used on several freeways that is (unless I'm wrong) durable for a very long time. I've been on that stretch many times since they rebuilt it and it's still a smooth ride, although it's gotten a bit crazy since they raised the speed limit to 45 two years ago (before then it was amazing how it still had speed limits of 35 and 40 even though similar-environment divided roads in other parts of the metro already had higher speed limits).

Fort Street through Lincoln Park and up to and a bit past it's Rouge River bridge is mainly smooth sailing too, unless potholes have started popping up on that portion...
For three days in January 2017 (15th, 16th, 19th), I managed to receive KDKA Pittsburgh from 202 miles away indoors!

My tropo station reception reports: https://www.rabbitears.info/dxlocation.php?id=403

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:58 pm

That's cool...glad to hear. However, I've read posts elsewhere mentioning that portions of Fort are in poor condition in the downriver suburbs. I have no recent personal experience with that stretch of roadway.
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 pm

So, I'm heading home next week. What's the status of I 75 northbound through Detroit?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:50 pm

You should be OK, but I never trust construction zones on I-75. If I were you, I'd consult Google Maps, Waze or Sigalert upon crossing the Michigan - Ohio border to double check traffic conditions.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Looks ok at the moment.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm thinking I might try going up 23 to 94.

NS8401

Post by NS8401 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:29 pm
I'm thinking I might try going up 23 to 94.
If you time it right I can blare my horn at the guy merging left with his right turn signal on with the Ontario plate :lol :blink .. I'm an exit down from that route at work...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic