Welcome to the Buzzboard! By viewing or posting any content on this site, you are agreeing to the TERMS OF USE! So, please take a moment to read them if this is your first visit or have not done so in a while. All accepted registrations through Friday, December 23 at 9:00a ET have been activated.  
 
It is currently Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:14 pm
Posts: 2934
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78
I was always surprised that Sears never opened anchor stores in either the Lansing or Meridian Malls. Frandor has always been the sole Lansing location, and although that store has done well over the years, a mall anchor store would probably have been a decent complement back in the day.

_________________
CB radio isn't dead....it just went online.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 375
I believe the Kmart in Shelby Township is still open for business. Could be wrong...

_________________
"Mares eat oats, and does eat oats, and I'll be home for christmas"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:48 pm
Posts: 755
NS8401 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.
Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!

7 mile and Farmington in Livonia...
Wayne Road in Westland...

The three being closed (Plymouth, Garden City and Roseville) will take a chunk out of that. Macy's is closing stores at Eastlamd and Westland malls... I wonder what goes in there?


The Westland store at Wayne Rd and Cherry Hill will be closing at the same time as the Garden City store. They're already liquidating merchandise. I was there yesterday, items from 10-30% off to start with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:06 pm
Posts: 8069
SoupySez wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.
Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!

7 mile and Farmington in Livonia...
Wayne Road in Westland...

The three being closed (Plymouth, Garden City and Roseville) will take a chunk out of that. Macy's is closing stores at Eastlamd and Westland malls... I wonder what goes in there?


The Westland store at Wayne Rd and Cherry Hill will be closing at the same time as the Garden City store. They're already liquidating merchandise. I was there yesterday, items from 10-30% off to start with.

That one had the signs updated inside and out too... usually that's a sign of keeping a unit...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:23 pm
Posts: 10462
Quote:
Eastland: that closing will definitely be the final blow to that place, they themselves just lost Sears five years ago, in fact, they've been bleeding stores since the turn of the millennium. I wouldn't be surprised if Target announces the closure of their Eastland store too, cause once Eastland loses those two, they might as well pull a Northland (which coincidentally had those same two anchors of Macy's and Target and once they both closed Northland just flat-out died) and announce that they're closing the entire mall except possibly Shopper's World and Burlington Coat Factory (which would become the only two anchors left once Target leaves, not counting the Lowe's and Home Depot stores in the parking lot).


I agree that Eastland Center in its current form is living on borrowed time. The Macy's store there was a total dump the one time I set foot in it about six years ago. I walked out the door less than five minutes later and haven't returned to the mall since.

In terms of the site in general, I am split on whether it becomes another Northland or Summit Place doomsday story, if it will ultimately have a bright future a la Tel-Twelve, or if it will fall somewhere in the middle of that spectrum - similar to Universal Mall in Warren (i.e. redeveloped but poorly configured, and therefore, partially vacant).

_________________
CIDR (93.9 The River) - quit calling yourself "AAA." You're not. You are a lame, tightly playlisted, predictable Modern AC station.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:04 am
Posts: 3927
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber
Colonel Flagg wrote:
I believe the Kmart in Shelby Township is still open for business.

There's also one on Garfield south of Canal Rd. in Clinton Township.

_________________
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:15 am
Posts: 3111
Location: Ann Arbor
about the only use I ever had for K-Mart was when I worked construction they had some blue jeans and work boots I liked for the price. I did a lot of roofing so I went through jeans and boots fast spending all day on essentially 10 grit sand paper.

_________________
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Posts: 1378
MWmetalhead wrote:
Was surprised to see the Sears at Woodland Mall in G.R. on the closing list. Years ago, that used to be a very busy store! It has a big footprint (300,000 sq. feet) and is one of only two Sears locations in Kent County. The sole survivor will be the much smaller Sears store located at Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville.

MLive is reporting Iowa-based Von Maur will become the new anchor for that wing of the mall. It appears some or all of the existing Sears building will be bulldozed and then rebuilt.

Sears at some point will disappear completely, just like their former half-assed competitor, Montgomery Ward, which followed the same business model as Sears and managed to execute it even more poorly than Sears.

Greater Grand Rapids at one point had five Kmart stores open simultaneously (Alpine, Plainfield, 28th SW, 28th SE, plus Chicago Dr. in Jenison). They now have ZERO!!!

Even in Metro Detroit, Kmart stores are becoming very difficult to find. The only one I'm aware of that's still open is across the street from the Hazel Park horse track. Their former corporate headquarters on Big Beaver Rd in Troy is the most f*cked corporate HQ campus I've ever laid eyes on!


There was also a Kmart in Grand Rapids (closed now) that wasn't mentioned: 68th Street at US 131. That one along with Plainfield were the last two to close in GR. Muskegon is also losing their Kmart. Kmarts in Greenville and Hastings are safe (for now)

Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 pm
Posts: 297
Quote:
Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.

Took a quick 5 minute detour into the soon to be closed Acme KMart.Will try to get there again soon.As I mentioned earlier this store is very clean though the cracks in the floors were a little worse then I remembed.There was a security guard checking people out at the exit.

I for one think that building and the nearby supermarket look good from the highway being behind the small hills and trees,and having small signs.Who the hell wants this area to look like any town USA?

At first thought it seems like property and building would make a good location for an auto dealership.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:30 pm
Posts: 371
ADD in TC wrote:
Quote:
Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.

Took a quick 5 minute detour into the soon to be closed Acme KMart.Will try to get there again soon.As I mentioned earlier this store is very clean though the cracks in the floors were a little worse then I remembed.There was a security guard checking people out at the exit.

I for one think that building and the nearby supermarket look good from the highway being behind the small hills and trees,and having small signs.Who the hell wants this area to look like any town USA?

At first thought it seems like property and building would make a good location for an auto dealership.


The former K-Mart in Cadillac is now a Fox Motors. I remembered when Acme had a Mercedes dealership for years, which is now over by the other Meijer in TC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:14 pm
Posts: 2934
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78
ftballfan wrote:
Side note: Went to the Kmart on 68th and 131 during their going out of business sale. It was dirty and unkempt with a good chunk of the store being empty. There were security guards stationed at the entrance, probably to keep people from stealing stuff.


When a store goes out of business, the inventory is usually sold to a liquidation company for pennies on the dollar, and they take it from there. At that point, Kmart (or insert retailer name here) is out of the picture. The liquidator hires any remaining employees they need to complete the liquidation and puts them on their payroll. Any security services are also contracted by the liquidator. It's a whole different atmosphere. The liquidator is only concerned with moving product out the door and scoring as much profit as they can before they close up shop. The presentation of the store is really of no concern to them. The only thing "Kmart" about the store during liquidation is the sign on the front.

_________________
CB radio isn't dead....it just went online.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:30 pm
Posts: 371
Let's not forget the closeout stores like Big Lots that a lot of unsold inventory is sold at for dirt cheap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:14 pm
Posts: 2934
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78
And now for something we hope you'll really like:


_________________
CB radio isn't dead....it just went online.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:14 am
Posts: 3816
Location: somewhere in the former boonies
I'll never forget the time we had to sue K Mart for disturbing our business. All of their attorneys show up in really nice suits. One of the things they said is that K Mart is the only store you need. I commented that i didn't know K Mart sold Brooks Brothers suits.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: LMFAO at Kmart!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:14 pm
Posts: 2934
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78
jry wrote:
I'll never forget the time we had to sue K Mart for disturbing our business. All of their attorneys show up in really nice suits. One of the things they said is that K Mart is the only store you need. I commented that i didn't know K Mart sold Brooks Brothers suits.


They really said that? Wow! Talk about brass cajones!

_________________
CB radio isn't dead....it just went online.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group