Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Two Transistor Radio

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
Paul Richards

Two Transistor Radio

Post by Paul Richards » Sat May 11, 2024 6:35 pm

I remember back in the 60’s we had the two transistor pocket radio, if I can remember these of course were cheaper than the six or eight transistor radio. Does anyone know why these were manufactured? I had someone tell me it had to do to a tax or tariff issue that Japan had to pay for radios that had 3 or more transistors in the radios circuit. Also, if I remember the reception performance on the few two transistor radios that I had when I was a child were terrible, the radio only would receive 3 or 4 AM stations here in the Detroit area.
Last edited by Paul Richards on Sun May 12, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

Ben Zonia

Re: Two Transistor Radio

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 12, 2024 9:10 am

I suspect that the two transistor radios were TRF, not superheterodyne. So they didn't need an oscillator, mixer, IF stages with amplification and transformers, just a tuned circuit and a diode. Just maybe an RF Amplifier transistor to bring up the signal level of the ferrite lipstick (some had telescoping whips also), and an AF Amplifier transistor. I remember kids in elementary school bringing them in for show and tell after the Holidays.

It was a Nakashuma....

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... cz_18,st:0
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Sun May 12, 2024 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Paul Richards

Post by Paul Richards » Sun May 12, 2024 9:18 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:10 am
I suspect that the two transistor radios were TRF, not superheterodyne. So they didn't need an oscillator, mixer, IF stages with amplification and transformers, just a tuned circuit and a diode. Just maybe an RF amplifier transistor to bring up the signal level of the ferrite lipstick (some had telescoping whips also), and an AF Amplifier transistor. I remember kids in elementary school bringing them in for show and tell after the Holidays.
I do remember the telescoping antenna on a few pocket AM radios. The two transistor radio definitely had the “kids market” many novelty type radios were sold in that era. Also, we can’t forget that plastic blue crystal radio that every kid owned that had an interest in radio.
Jo and the Ho gotta Go.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun May 12, 2024 9:33 am

Google "Nakashuma" It was actually a real brand. I thought Allan Sherman made it up. They have pictures of the Mark 2 and Mark 3, and one picture has the leatherette case with holes in it. No Mark 4 though, the one he said he got. Most of the Nakashuma pictures show radios that look like they're tuned to "The Big 89".

Allan Sherman had three #1 Albums, and was nominated for a Grammy!
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic